Pass Labs 250.8

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Pass Labs 250.8
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2017, 08:14 pm »
Anyone ever had the chance to compare amps  Pass to AR

I haven't but just about every review I have read on the X250 series amps have said it competes well with amps in the $15K to 20K range.

RDavidson

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2017, 09:31 pm »
I haven't compared, but if you're looking at AR amps, I think their tube amps are what you'd want. That's not to say their SS amps aren't good, but I think their tube amps are much more revered.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm »
Well I let the 250.8 go , it just didn't do it for me . I really prefer the sound
of my tube amps . I'm going to keep looking . One thing for sure is I'm getting to old
to be lugging a 250.8 up from downstairs .

Thinking of trying a Audio Research 75 SE to pair with my
Ref 6

Anyone listen to the INNAMORATA SIGNATURE ? Suppose to have a unique sound
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2017, 01:55 pm by ddark65 »

RDavidson

« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2017, 02:28 pm »
Yeah. Even in upper echelon gear, it seems that tube amps still have that last drop of "naturalness" that SS just can't quite touch. But SS has the last drop of control and extension that tubes can't quite touch. Otherwise the line between the two types have more in common (especially resolution and tonal neutrality) than not. I think it becomes more of a choice of presentation and general character (exciting vs relaxed, front row vs mid hall) as the main variables. Have fun. Try stuff out. :thumb:

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2017, 03:22 pm »
I will either getting a AR 75SE or have the following vintage amps restored ,Sansui BA-F1
Accuphase P-300.

There just seems to be something with vintage gear like when you where a kid it just sounded good :) didn't have to spend $$$$
I got a totally restored Marantz 2330 I hooked up to my system and used my totaldac twelve and I tell you Im close to just leaving it .

The good part on vintage gear also it goes up in value not down

Freo-1

« Reply #45 on: 23 Apr 2017, 03:30 pm »
Yeah. Even in upper echelon gear, it seems that tube amps still have that last drop of "naturalness" that SS just can't quite touch. But SS has the last drop of control and extension that tubes can't quite touch. Otherwise the line between the two types have more in common (especially resolution and tonal neutrality) than not. I think it becomes more of a choice of presentation and general character (exciting vs relaxed, front row vs mid hall) as the main variables. Have fun. Try stuff out. :thumb:

And, there is the rub.  Tubes have a midrange that no SS gear can match.  Conversely, no tube amp can get control of the lower registers like a well made SS amp can.  Lots of people do seem like the warmth from tube amp bass frequencies.

Although I love the Pass Labs gear, I also wind up preferring my tube amps to just about any solid state gear. 

One thing you may want to try is the Devialet 400/440 setup.  I have to warn you ahead of time: be prepared to sell off your other electronics (preamp, DAC, phono stage).  The Devialet 400 has a synergy that has to be heard in your own listening environment with your speakers to fully appreciate.  Robert Harley from Absolute Sound compared it very favorably to his reference 200 K plus electronics.   

It sounds nothing like any other SS gear you have ever listened to before.  It has a midrange that will remind you of tube gear, and some of the best bass response you will ever hear from electronics.

Used 400's can be had for a reasonable price (compared to new).  When you look at all it provides, it's actually a pretty good buy by high end audio standards.   

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #46 on: 23 Apr 2017, 04:00 pm »
You may want to give a listen to BAT amps.  Totally different sound than Pass.

mr_bill

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2017, 02:47 am »
AR 75 is a great amp

spectralman

« Reply #48 on: 3 Jul 2017, 04:34 am »
I don't know what the specs are on your Pearls impedance-wise.  Nor do I know what your budget is, but for tube gear I always heartily endorse Atma-Sphere.  It is extremely fast, transparent, AND has great bass response: deep, well textured, and tight.  I had an all AS system a few years ago, MA-2 Mk. 2.3 monoblocks with the matching MP-1 Mk. 2 preamp.  The best pre/power amp combo I've ever owned or heard.  The amps are space heaters though, so much that I tended to not use them a whole lot in the summer months.

Audiophile58

« Reply #49 on: 3 Jul 2017, 09:52 am »
Personally I find for high power ,especially if using planers,or Electrostats a good Solid State amplifier
Is much better suited. Which has High current capabilities,  where  even a very good tube amp
Cannot compete,tube amps are voltage driven much more so then Current .
Everything comes down to the Loudspeaker  being  used  and it's demands on impedance,
And efficiency there are many Vacuum tube  amplifiers that do well with speakers 88db  on up on average.

Audiophile58

« Reply #50 on: 3 Jul 2017, 10:01 am »
One solid state brand overlooked mainly because of name are excellent sounding amplifiers, and preamps.
AMPZILLA monoblocks,  and Son of Ampzilla- the smaller Stereo version.
Both are Exceptional buys  and have  won several awards. James Bongiano was a Great designer - R.I.P.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jul 2017, 09:55 pm »
I read the entire thread, I need a conclusion if there was one, LOL.  So which amp are you using?

If the Pearls are hard to drive I agree finding a tube amp to do it will be difficult, and if you can, expensive.  I had 100 watt monoblocks that drove Revel F52's but not adequately.  Which led me to my first Pass amp.  In CJ's defense the amps wer using EL34's.

twitch54

« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2017, 08:09 pm »
after a hiatus of more than 30 years I have returned to Nelson Pass, my new 260.8 mono blocks, yes I'm quite happy ...........

kingdeezie

« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2017, 08:45 pm »
Twitch, those are awesome!

I have an XA 30.8 I run on my Daedalus speakers, and I love it. Enjoy!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2017, 09:12 pm »
Personally I find for high power ,especially if using planers,or Electrostats a good Solid State amplifier
Is much better suited. Which has High current capabilities,  where  even a very good tube amp
Cannot compete,tube amps are voltage driven much more so then Current .
***Everything comes down to the Loudspeaker being used and it's demands on impedance, ***

Yes, it really comes down to that. Between a very highly regarded 8 watt SET and a lowly little TPA 3116, the latter does a much better job driving the very efficient Spatials.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #55 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:07 am »

Beautiful!

Can you update on us on the sound of the X260.8's? Love the Studio2, I have a pair as well. I am thinking about some Pass Labs amps and the X260.8 are on the list. Thanks!!!

Joe

after a hiatus of more than 30 years I have returned to Nelson Pass, my new 260.8 mono blocks, yes I'm quite happy ...........