Amp Suggestion for VR 33's

rich58b

Amp Suggestion for VR 33's
« on: 24 Mar 2017, 11:02 pm »
After ordering a new LCR 4 center channel for my home theater system, the center channel on my Anthem Statement A5 went out. I'm finding that it's going to be very expensive to fix, and I'm thinking that I might like to try a new amplifier. I know that McIntosh amps sound great with Von Schweikert speakers, but they're a little out of my price range. Does anyone have any experience with other brands, both that I should avoid, and ones that work well, and are not extremely pricey. I'm drawn to the new NAD M27 for some reason, but have no idea how it might sound with my speakers. Any info would be greatly appreciated. (I did read the "Which Amps work best with Von Schweikerts?" sticky, but a lot of it is pretty old and much of the later stuff is a little more exotic than I understand.)
Rich
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2017, 02:04 am by rich58b »

martinr

Re: Amp Suggestion for VR 33's
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:08 pm »
Odyssey amps work well but if you are looking for a five channel amplifier they would not fit the bill.   The Odyssey Candela Pre comes with an HT by-pass...they can probably install that on the Kismet hybrid as well if you have a HT amp you would want to use.....

BigSwede

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:27 pm »
I continues to love my Bel Canto eVo2i Mk II integrated with my VR-33s, have no desire to upgrade. But as above it is just a 2-channel amp.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2017, 04:42 pm »
I loved the Rogue Stereo 90 with my VR-4s, if a tube amp interests you.

rich58b

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:41 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm now looking at a Proceed HPA3 3 channel amp @ 250w per channel. The reviews that I can find are good, and I have an older Accuphase 100w integrated that would be fine for the rear channels. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this amp, and what I might expect soundwise with my VR 33's. I read in one review that they were a bit on the "bright" side.

BigSwede

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2017, 12:23 pm »
I don't think they are bright at all, these are the most balanced and natural sounding speakers I have owned. Seriously.

rich58b

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm »
@Big Swede, did you mean that the HPA 3 was not bright? You referred to them as speakers.

BigSwede

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2017, 04:24 am »
Ah, sorry, I thought you were referring to the VR-33s as bright.

mdconnelly

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:33 pm »
I've got a pair of the VR-35s.  I'm currently using them with a Devialet 440 Pro and they sound amazing.  I'm amazed at how well they handle fast transients and big swings in dynamics.   These speakers don't get the press they deserve.  Feed them well and they will reward you big time!