Tip of the day

Big Red Machine

Tip of the day
« on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm »
Here's a link to super inexpensive isolation pads.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I just ordered a box of 48. Why? Well in my quest to experiment with isolation feet on my speakers I tried some of these I already owned last night and was shocked how well they work. I had been considering the Iso Acoustics Gaia I feet, but at $600 per set of 4 I wasn't going to buy and then see if they would make a positive change.

I already have plenty of the cork layered with rubber pads in my spare parts box and I happened to have 8 of these last night. So I tried these as they are more compliant and was very pleased with the improved bass and clarity of the sound. So now I will go after the Gaia I's down the road for sure.

But since these work so well I am planning on putting them under each 3" thick maple shelf I have and a box of 48 is only $21.60. You have seen plenty of folks selling these on Audiogon and US Audio Mart for $4 each which sounds cheap until you find them at $0.50 each. I lost the link to the last place I purchased from, so I found a new HVAC site that has them cheap. I also have these under my furnace like many of you have and they really keep it quiet.

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2017, 03:48 pm by Big Red Machine »

Chris Adams

Re: Tip of the day
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:21 pm »
Thanks for the info. Looks worth a try so I ordered a box.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2017, 01:34 pm »
Different sizes are available there.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:14 pm »
Great thread.  A sticky candidate, well see.  I had seen these previously, but having your experiences detailed makes all the difference.  I'm using maple blocks now, I'll either add or replace depending on how it sounds.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2017, 03:51 pm »
Great thread.  A sticky candidate, well see.  I had seen these previously, but having your experiences detailed makes all the difference.  I'm using maple blocks now, I'll either add or replace depending on how it sounds.

How about a tip of the day that does not compete with the deals Dan finds? However, some of my tips would not qualify for the "cheap" circle.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2017, 04:11 pm »
We'll you don't have to come up with all of the tips.  Other members can contribute their tips if they want to keep it going.  I thought that was the intent of the thread, or did you just want to make that one post?  It's still a good thread regardless.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2017, 05:45 pm »
No. I agree. A tip of the day thread is good for everybody. But being in the C&C, means we cannot go above a certain dollar value and sometimes those tips would be valid but not have a home here. That's what I meant.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2017, 06:42 pm »
OK

This stuff is super handy if you want to tilt speakers or something but are afraid they'll slip from bass or whatever. I've got bookshelves on top of a "stand" that's got a flat top and I titled the stand back to get better response in my room. The problem was they wanted to slip off during high bass music. I use this stuff between my "footers" and the stand. (The footers aren't attached, but work perfect, and are not spikes)

It doesn't bat an eye at some steep angles and moderate weight bookshelves (much heavier than light ones like Paradigm or Elac's cheap ones)

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2017, 06:58 pm »
OK

This stuff is super handy if you want to tilt speakers or something but are afraid they'll slip from bass or whatever. I've got bookshelves on top of a "stand" that's got a flat top and I titled the stand back to get better response in my room. The problem was they wanted to slip off during high bass music. I use this stuff between my "footers" and the stand. (The footers aren't attached, but work perfect, and are not spikes)

It doesn't bat an eye at some steep angles and moderate weight bookshelves (much heavier than light ones like Paradigm or Elac's cheap ones)

I purchased some rolls of similar material at the 99-cent store. They had lighter ($1.00) and heavier grades ($2.00).  I cut pieces and now my tools don't slide around. It definitely made my rolling metal tool box quieter.   :lol: 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2017, 07:35 pm »
  Cheap and effective is using bakery string to hang your cables off the floor.

charles

Slam

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2017, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I ordered a box.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2017, 09:14 pm »
Here's a link to super inexpensive isolation pads.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I just ordered a box of 48. Why? Well in my quest to experiment with isolation feet on my speakers I tried some of these I already owned last night and was shocked how well they work. I had been considering the Iso Acoustics Gaia I feet, but at $600 per set of 4 I wasn't going to buy and then see if they would make a positive change.

I already have plenty of the cork layered with rubber pads in my spare parts box and I happened to have 8 of these last night. So I tried these as they are more compliant and was very pleased with the improved bass and clarity of the sound. So now I will go after the Gaia I's down the road for sure.

But since these work so well I am planning on putting them under each 3" thick maple shelf I have and a box of 48 is only $21.60. You have seen plenty of folks selling these on Audiogon and US Audio Mart for $4 each which sounds cheap until you find them at $0.50 each. I lost the link to the last place I purchased from, so I found a new HVAC site that has them cheap. I also have these under my furnace like many of you have and they really keep it quiet.

Still not compliant enough for most gear.  The smallest is 2" x 2" and rated at 50 psi, which means each is rated to handle up to 200 pounds.  So I'd guess you'd want to load it with 150 pounds.  So three or four of them would ideally support 500 - 600 pound components/speakers.  Perhaps they could be cut into smaller pieces (1/2" x 1/2" would support 12 pounds each, 1" x 1" would support 50 pounds each). 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:54 pm »
Still not compliant enough for most gear.  The smallest is 2" x 2" and rated at 50 psi, which means each is rated to handle up to 200 pounds.  So I'd guess you'd want to load it with 150 pounds.  So three or four of them would ideally support 500 - 600 pound components/speakers.  Perhaps they could be cut into smaller pieces (1/2" x 1/2" would support 12 pounds each, 1" x 1" would support 50 pounds each).

Use your ears not the math. Did you read that as an experiment it revealed to me that isolating the speakers is a good thing? Did I ever say I was going to make this a long term solution?

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:24 pm »
In 40 years of being an audiophile, my scale of effectiveness for better sound reproduction:

Components, room (and treatments if needed), recordings.......  1.00

Cables................................. ....................................... .......  0.05

Tweaks................................. ....................................... ......  0.00

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2017, 11:33 pm »
In 40 years of being an audiophile, my scale of effectiveness for better sound reproduction:

Cables................................. ....................................... .......  0.05

Tweaks................................. ....................................... ......  0.00

You forgot the most important one. The RECORDING. JLM  love ya but "O" for tweaks, really ?

charles

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2017, 12:02 am »
Charles, I did include recordings and tweaks could be +/- 0.01 (if margin for error is included).   :)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2017, 10:53 am »

I agree in the order of importance, but I would up the cables to .5 and tweaks to maybe .1 because of the fun factor with cheap and cheerful tweaks, or tips of the day if that's more palatable than tweaks.  They generally cost very, very little and more than repay that cost in fun factor.  Who cares if $10 or $20 worth of isolation pads work or not, it's fun to try it.

My tip for the day is 2x4's as cable elevators.  Get some scrap lengths at HD or Lowe's and cut them in to 2x4x4 blocks, put a notch in one side, viola, cable elevators.  Put whatever finish you want to on them or leave 'em bare.  If they work for you you can not buy the expensive rip off products. 

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2017, 12:34 pm »
My "tweak" of the day suggestion would be to try near-field listening.  Helps to minimize room effects and improves imaging, but will lock you into a single listening position.  Provides a more intimate listening experience compared to a conventional other end of the room "over there" presentation, sort of a blend between that and using headphones.

Start with a 6 foot/2 meter equilateral triangle and experiment from there.  Currently I have my main speakers 10 feet apart (1.5 feet from side walls) and 7 feet from the listening position (about a 120 degree arc) with the speakers severely toed in (crossing 1.5 feet in front of the listening position) to maximize soundstage width.

IMO makes more difference than any cable or tweak, which only serve to distract from the essentials (and my wallet).

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:02 pm »
Back in the 90s when I used to hang out with Gordon Holt, he snidely referred to cables as "passive tone controls". Pretty good assessment, no?
The best listening tweak, if it is legal where you live, is mentioned lovingly in the following song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjnQjRvPUQ

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:32 pm »
My "tweak" of the day suggestion would be to try near-field listening...

Start with a 6 foot/2 meter equilateral triangle and experiment from there.  Currently I have my main speakers 10 feet apart (1.5 feet from side walls) and 7 feet from the listening position (about a 120 degree arc) with the speakers severely toed in (crossing 1.5 feet in front of the listening position) to maximize soundstage width.

IMO makes more difference than any cable or tweak...

Indeed, I'm not too keen on math but after many hours of experimentation the ratio / distance between the speakers should be a a little greater than the distance between you and the speakers as it creates a wider soundstage, which means less congestion and better imaging / separation of the instruments. Getting this right can make a bigger difference than a component upgrade.  :thumb: