How do I record a radio program?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
How do I record a radio program?
« on: 20 Mar 2017, 07:15 pm »
I think this is the right circle for this ...

Once upon a time, I would capture radio shows for later consumption by recording to tape, sometimes r/r but since the later consumption most often happened during the car commute,  I'd usually record to cassette tape, as I'm sure most of you of a certain vintage did as well.

Fast forward to today, there are still radio shows I'd like to record for the car commute but since tape is no longer a possibility, how would I do that now? For instance, there are early morning radio programs I'd like to record from the Sirius XM classical station. I understand about streaming and On Demand playback but I'm specifically interested in having something for later car commute playback.

My thanks in advance for your time,
Lester

WGH

Re: How do I record a radio program?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2017, 08:14 pm »
The free Audacity will work, the program has a record timer. The recorded file can then be converted to a .wav to burn to a CD, .mp3 or whatever format works best for you.
http://www.audacityteam.org/

srb

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2017, 09:09 pm »
On the Windows platform, Audacity can only record a digital stream if a digital input is used.  To record internal computer sources, the analog Stereo Mix record source must be selected.  Depending on the soundcard, turning the record input level up enough to get a decent recording signal unfortunately also often resulted in less than optimum recordings with distortion and noise on peaks.

I subsequently was able to make far better quality direct digital recordings from Internet radio stations (with standard stream URLs) in JRiver Media Center using the Scheduler plug-in.

However, although since v21 JRiver offered the WDM driver allowing external sources like Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, etc. to play within JRiver, I don't think the Scheduler will work in this application as it requires entering a URL stream address.

But it's fantastic for recording Internet radio stations when a stream URL (with no authentication) is available.

Steve

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:20 am »
Sirius Xm does have a on demand platform  for a additional cost  http://m.siriusxm.com/ondemand  (not all shows blah blah).

Alan

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2017, 11:54 am »
.....I subsequently was able to make far better quality direct digital recordings from Internet radio stations (with standard stream URLs) in JRiver Media Center using the Scheduler plug-in.

However, although since v21 JRiver offered the WDM driver allowing external sources like Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, etc. to play within JRiver, I don't think the Scheduler will work in this application as it requires entering a URL stream address.

But it's fantastic for recording Internet radio stations when a stream URL (with no authentication) is available.

Steve

That sounds like a great plugin. I wasn't aware it existed.  I've been using something called Total Recorder. Works for URL station streams but I doubt it'll work with Sirius.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm »
Thanks all for the great advice. Will investigate further this weekend. I don't mind paying more for Sirius On-Demand, especially if that faciltates the process and helps tp flatten the learning curve. Can't wait to try this.

Thanks again,
Lester