Devialet Expert 200 (Upgrade to Expert 400)

Freo-1

Re: Devialet Expert 200 (Upgrade to Expert 400)
« Reply #20 on: 12 Apr 2017, 10:12 pm »
After conducting extended listening, decided to try and see if I could try a second unit to increase the power.  This does a number of things:

1) Doubles the output power to 400 watts @ 6 ohms.
2) Lowers total and ID distortion by a factor of 4
3) Each amp now has truly independant DAC processing
3) Adds more inputs

Wasn't sure about the amount of difference this would make.  So, put on the Dire Straits live BVD (A recording I'm pretty familiar with).  I was expecting a minor difference, but was taken somewhat aback when I started listening.  The sound stage was larger, with more height and depth.  The bass was significantly better in all aspects, with outstanding control of the woofers of the Dynaudio 360's.  The mid-range now had a clarity that I've not ever heard on this recording.  Vocals, drums, and guitars took on a presence that was was almost life like.  Low level detail is unsurpassed with these amps.  Simply amazing.

Then tried a Andrea Bocelli live in Portebello DVD.  The vocals sounded almost like you were in attendance at the event.  I had just previously listened to this with the single 200, and the difference was immediately noticeable.  Dynamic contrasts were much more noticeable.

Where the differences show up the most is with symphonic music.  The difference with listening with 400 is very noticeable.  Loud passages come across with no stress or compression whatsoever.

In summary, decided to pull the trigger on a second 200 (got a great price to boot).  A very worthwhile upgrade. 

mdconnelly

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2017, 10:24 pm »
I had a similar experience when I heard a 440 Pro over my 220 Pro.  Just more and better of everything.

I had been debating on whether to go from my original 200 to a 220 Pro or a 400.   I opted for the 220 Pro (and then added a 2nd for a 440 Pro).   Never did get a chance to hear a 400.

IMHO, the difference from a 220 Pro to a 440 Pro was greater than the 200 to 220 Pro, so I'd say you made a wise move.

Freo-1

« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2017, 10:29 pm »
I had a similar experience when I heard a 440 Pro over my 220 Pro.  Just more and better of everything.

I had been debating on whether to go from my original 200 to a 220 Pro or a 400.   I opted for the 220 Pro (and then added a 2nd for a 440 Pro).   Never did get a chance to hear a 400.

IMHO, the difference from a 220 Pro to a 440 Pro was greater than the 200 to 220 Pro, so I'd say you made a wise move.

Thanks.  Still have to stick to a budget.

I thought going the 400 route would be a better option over a single 220. (especially with the Dynaudio 360's)

Would like to hear the 440's,as I'm sure they are a step up.  :thumb: