Devialet Expert 200 (Upgrade to Expert 400)

Freo-1

Devialet Expert 200 (Upgrade to Expert 400)
« on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:11 pm »
The idea of a all in box that successfully competes with individual components is one that has appeal, as well as practical aspects.  Done right, the design can provide synergy that can be elusive with assembling components, and then connecting them via cables/wires, etc.  For example, think of funds audiophiles spend on interconnects. 

So, with that in mind, decided to give the Devialet Expert 200 a go, and see how it performs.  It's power output is 170 watts at 8 ohms, 200 watts at 6 ohms.   It has a number of both digital and analog inputs, along with pre-out, or subwoofer out, which is software selectable. 

The topology is both interesting and unique.  It's class A for voltage, and class D for current above a certain output wattage level (25 watts).  The other item that is interesting is a feature called SAM (Speaker/Amp Matching).  It turns out you can download parameters for your speaker form the manufacturer, the results of which is tuned to flatten out the speaker response.  There are roughly 360 some odd speakers in the database (including both of my sets of speakers). 

The unit should arrive later this week.  Looking forward trying this out. 

PS: Was able to get a great deal on it. 

So, anyone heard these units?  If so, what were you impressions? 

« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2017, 09:33 pm by Freo-1 »

jpm

Re: Going to try a Devialet Expert 200
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:40 am »
I thoroughly enjoy my Expert 120. SAM can work magic in the lower end in that is unmatched in my experience so far, but overall I prefer my LIO. There's a clarity and purity to the sound that Devialet can't match and with iterative improvements in subwoofer integration I'm getting closer to matching the magic that SAM works in the lower frequencies.

Both the Devialet Expert and Vinnie Rossi LIO offer different takes on a similar one box theme.  I came to LIO second and feel that Vinnie's ecosystem offers better value overall. From a support perspetive he wins hands down.  In terms of usability, the Devialet remote control is a pure heaven that I constantly miss when using LIO. The controls, switching etc. are far more refined with Devialet and their package, overall, fits a potential megabucks environments much more comfortably.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience - it's a taste of the future!

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2017, 01:14 am »
I looked at this as well:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/micromega-m-one-all-one-streameramp#qlwdUcpxkzDe8dq2.97

The room correction feature with the Micromega looks vert interesting.

In the end, the price break I got on the Devialet made the deal a go.  I'll be using a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360's with the unit. 

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2017, 03:32 am »
Those are 3 incredible integrateds - Devialet Micromega Lio

NAD M32 another to check out.

yetis

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2017, 03:38 am »
I looked at this as well:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/micromega-m-one-all-one-streameramp#qlwdUcpxkzDe8dq2.97

The room correction feature with the Micromega looks vert interesting.

In the end, the price break I got on the Devialet made the deal a go.  I'll be using a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360's with the unit.

What did you think of the Micromega?

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:57 pm »
What did you think of the Micromega?

I think it has lot of potential.  A dealer friend of mine swapped his Devialet 120 for one, and he loves it.  He says it's way easier to connect streaming sources.  It's not as transparent as the Devialet, he says it's more warm and forgiving.  The room correction features look interesting.  One corrects frequency response, while the other corrects the pulse/time domain.  Definitely worth serious consideration. 

I went with the Devialet because I wanted the extra power, and the price break was just too good to pass up.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2017, 12:45 am »
Unit arrived today.  Hooked it all up, and started playing music.  Initial impressions:  WOW!

This unit is simply amazing!  I have never heard audio sound better.  I first checked out the music channels from Direct TV.  They sounded MUCH better than they ever have before.  Much more tolerable than ever before.  Even horns and strings sounded almost believable from compressed music.

I then tried a SACD (converted to PCM) of Getz/Gilberto, and I felt like like I was in the studio listening to the takes real time. 

My better half was also listening, and she was VERY impressed.  She loves music, but never quite got this audiophile obsession.  She asked me to put on a Andera Bocelli DVD concert.  We were both mightily impressed.  The size and looks of the unit also helped. 

This is just out of the box, with the default SD card settings.  Once I get a better handle on the sound, I'll update the SD card with the latest firmware and install the SAM for my speakers (Dynaudio Focus 360

This product blows up the conventional thinking of separate components as the best way to achieve audio nirvana.  It also blows up the argument that Class D cannot compete with better Class A/AB. 

Will post a more detailed review after some review/listening time. 

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:35 pm »
Updated the unit to the latest firmware, and engaged the Speaker Active Matching (SAM) for the Dynaudio Focus 360's. 

As good as it was sounding, it now sounds even better.  There is a slight improvement in the bottom registers, the mid range is even more clear than it was before (didn't think that was possible, but it is), and the treble is outstanding. 

The concept of using SAM to modify the signal in the digital domain makes a lot of sense.  It acts as a Digital Signal Processing (DSP). 

As I listen to this excellent Dvorak recording:  http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/10

I'm floored at just how good this sounds.  I've heard systems with FAR more of a price tag that didn't come close to what this can do.  I always thought that only tube gear could deliver that magical midrage that made performances come alive.  This unit has proved otherwise. 

No more fussing about for the latest incremental improvement by swapping out DAC's amps, etc. is required when one has a unit such as this.  It's even up-gradable via software, and if you decide to get new speakers, good chance you can get a SAM version to apply DSP to the setup.  I'll give it another week of so before posting final observations, but it's hard to capture just how good this unit is.  Devialet has raised the bar for high end sound by a fair amount.

All in all, most highly recommended! 

Panelhead

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:22 am »
I thoroughly enjoy my Expert 120. SAM can work magic in the lower end in that is unmatched in my experience so far, but overall I prefer my LIO. There's a clarity and purity to the sound that Devialet can't match and with iterative improvements in subwoofer integration I'm getting closer to matching the magic that SAM works in the lower frequencies.

Both the Devialet Expert and Vinnie Rossi LIO offer different takes on a similar one box theme.  I came to LIO second and feel that Vinnie's ecosystem offers better value overall. From a support perspetive he wins hands down.  In terms of usability, the Devialet remote control is a pure heaven that I constantly miss when using LIO. The controls, switching etc. are far more refined with Devialet and their package, overall, fits a potential megabucks environments much more comfortably.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience - it's a taste of the future!

The LIO offers a unique packaging of dac, amp, and power supply. Guess the Devialet does also in a 180 direction.

Freo-1

Re: Devialet Expert 200: A truly amazing unit
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2017, 01:33 pm »
Honestly, did not consider the LIO, mainly because of the low power output.  The Dynaudio Focus 360's need a fair amount of power to sound their best. 

Also looked at Devialet 120, but, it does not have quite enough power for my application.  It also lacks a preamp output to drive my headphone amp (KGSS-HV). 

The measured performance from the Devialet 200 is among the very best in the industry. So far, I'm happy with the Devialet support, as I have been able to find everything I have needed. 

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2017, 03:05 pm »
Honestly, did not consider the LIO, mainly because of the low power output.  The Dynaudio Focus 360's need a fair amount of power to sound their best. 

Also looked at Devialet 120, but, it does not have quite enough power for my application.  It also lacks a preamp output to drive my headphone amp (KGSS-HV). 

The measured performance from the Devialet 200 is among the very best in the industry. So far, I'm happy with the Devialet support, as I have been able to find everything I have needed.

I am curious what aspects of measured performance are industry leading?

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2017, 03:41 pm »
Here is the technical paper on the units:

https://en.devialet.com/assets/Systems/complete-specs-EN.pdf

Very few setups can achieve these specs.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2017, 05:46 pm »

Astonishing. I do not know of any other manufacturer out there with a 4 canals digital signal processor.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:18 pm »

There are several dacs, preamps and amps that have those specs but none all in one box that I know of! Good on you! I would like to see graphs though, not just overall THD, IMD and power output.

The simplicity of this Devialet + 2 ch speaker setup is quite inviting. What are you doing with your tube system? Is that just a separate system?

Best,
Anand.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:26 pm »
Still have a second 2 channel system where the tube amp setup drives a pair of ATC SCM-19's.

Since I have two sets of tube amps, may sell one set, and keep one set.

When one considers that the specs include the entire audio chain, do not have to spend big $ on interconnects, and top notch DSP, it's hard to beat the combination.

dznutz

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:50 am »
If you get a perfect Devialet then it truly is an impressive integrated.  Unfortunately Devialet does sell b-stock units and some dealers do not pass that info along.

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2017, 09:41 pm »
Have not heard any issues with Devialet B stock being passed off as A stock. 

I'm very satisfied (and reasonably sure) the unit I have is fine.

mdconnelly

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm »
I bought a Dev 200 about 18 months ago to replace numerous separate components that totalled quite a bit more.  I'd had the NAD M2 before that but the Devialet just blew it away.      Devialet is a strange little company but damn if they don't excel at making the best integrated I've ever heard.   It also has an amazing phono section if you still are in to spinning vinyl.

Late last year Devialet announced an upgrade path to their latest Pro version, the 220 Pro.  It's a pricey step up but they did manage to improve it even more.   I've since retired and am now using a 440 Pro (basically two 220 Pros).  Couldn't be more ecstatic!    FWIW, one was B stock and was clearly labeled as such on the box.  Mine was totally clean and worked perfectly.  Same warranty as well.

I should ask... what power cord are you using on your 200?   I've found that they respond well to a better power cord.  I'm using Triode Wire Labs PCs that work extremely well.   If you go that route, be sure to touch base with them to build one with the Furutech IEC so that it fits cleanly under the rear lid. 

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2017, 08:30 pm »
I'm  using a power cord from Benchmark.  It has a locking device when connecting.

I have tried the SAM with both the ATC SCM19 and Dynaudio Focus 360, and in each case, the playback was improved.  The Dynaudio seems to benefit slightly more from using SAM than the SCM-19's. 

It's hard to believe just how good this unit sounds.  The media collection I have all sounds improved, almost like they are re-issues with higher resolution.  I'm spending more time listening to music with this setup, as re-discovering recordings in a new and improved light has been a lot fun so far.

kenreau

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2017, 08:53 pm »
I concur 110%, I have really been impressed and enjoyed mine over the past two years.  It replaced ~$25K worth of 4 pieces of gear, plus interconnects, power cables, etc and sounded significantly better, plus the user interface is KISS. Unfortunately, with a recent house move, I need to put mine up for sale.  I also have the custom Graditech Voima power cable to go with it.  Hit me up if anyone is interested in a possible purchase.  I plan to formally put up for sale in the new few weeks.

Ciao
Kenreau