New set of Auroras headed for paint!

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: New set of Auroras headed for paint!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm »
And the finished product! I finished it with Fritos and cheddar cheese, but honestly I think it's better with no garnishments.

OK Ed, show me what you've got!

fex02

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2017, 12:00 am »
looks great

EdRo

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2017, 02:22 am »
Ok, here it is. Maybe not as pretty a presentation, but...here I'm getting ready   to put the chili together.

Here's the finished product getting ready for transport. Good stuff!!!

Please don't take this as bragging, but this chili has won 1st place for 3 years straight at the prestigious Blossom and Heath annual chili competition!!!
 :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2017, 02:59 am »
Holy Chili Peppers!  You guys are makin' me check Orbitz to book a trip to St. Louis!!

But back to our regularly scheduled speaker thread, can't wait to see those Auroras, Ed.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017, 11:57 am by JakeJ »

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:05 am »
I think I'll stick to my turkey pumpkin chili, that looks too strong for me!

toddc2

« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:31 pm »
WAHOO!!! Looks fantastic Ed!

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:37 pm »
Looks great.  However, if you keep posting stuff like that people are going to want it with every pair of speakers purchased :lol:

EdRo

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:52 pm »
For competition chili (5 gallons minimum) I use 12 lbs of beef roast and 4 lbs of pork shoulder. I then smoke that meat for around 2.5 hours with 1 part hickory and 2 parts apple wood. I don't want to fully smoke the meat but imbue it with a hearty smoke flavor. After the rest of the TOP SECRET ingredients are added, it then simmers for at least 3 hours before a competition. I call this recipe "Gunsmoke and Honey" chili. It's taken around 8 years of experimentation to get just right. Wow...I guess this Aurora thread went off on quite a tangent!!! :roll:  :o :P

EdRo

« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2017, 01:57 pm »
Maybe I should make 5 gallons of "Gunsmoke and Honey" chili whenever speakers that I build are shown?!!! People might stay for a longer listen if they like the eats, right?

toddc2

« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2017, 02:49 pm »
For competition chili (5 gallons minimum) I use 12 lbs of beef roast and 4 lbs of pork shoulder. I then smoke that meat for around 2.5 hours with 1 part hickory and 2 parts apple wood. I don't want to fully smoke the meat but imbue it with a hearty smoke flavor. After the rest of the TOP SECRET ingredients are added, it then simmers for at least 3 hours before a competition. I call this recipe "Gunsmoke and Honey" chili. It's taken around 8 years of experimentation to get just right. Wow...I guess this Aurora thread went off on quite a tangent!!! :roll:  :o :P

Initially I was thinking 16 pounds of meat sounded like a lot but I used about 3 pounds for a gallon, so pretty close on the ratio. I like the addition of smoked pork and in fact tried that once when my BBQ guy made a mistake and gave me pork instead of brisket (I did however go back and get brisket too). I am pretty sure more smoked meat never hurts!

One final comment on this tangent: I took a lot of cooking lessons from Jeff Blank (owner/chef at Hudson's on the Bend in Austin) and he had a really great saying. "When in doubt...add another jalapeno..."

EdRo

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2017, 04:43 pm »
Hey Todd2, try adding a few canned Chipotles in adobo sauce. You'll find them in the Latin foods section in most stores. They have a great smokey flavor, and any more than a few will pick up the heat of your chili substantially. I'd sent my sis the dry ingredients already mixed (I wouldn't give even my sister the recipe!!!) with instructions about how much meat, beans and diced tomatoes. My recipe called for 3 - 4 Chipotles in a batch of chili. She miss-read my instructions and added 3 - 4 CANS of Chipotles in adobo sauce. The resulting abomination was inedible. Sisters!!!! JEESH!!!   :roll: :duh: :oops: :lol:

EdRo

« Reply #31 on: 21 Mar 2017, 12:55 am »
Back to the original subject...SPEAKERS!!! Maybe someone would like to see the new "stand" that the Aurora will sit on? This Aurora won't have the x-o in a plinth, like I've mentioned. It'll be inside the column. Since the plinth added around 5", I had to modify and stretch the shape of the column to put the tweeter back to the right height for this set. Here's the new shape. It's 6.5" wide, and 20" deep. I'll have 1.5" thick corian outriggers stretched out front and back to stabilize the whole thing. I like the idea of seeing the x-o by just peering around the back! A nicely sheathed cable will run from the x-o to the back of the stand to the speaker posts. I think that this is a simple yet elegant solution!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2017, 01:25 am »
Sorry Ed,

I know you put a lot of work into this but I hate the new column. It takes away everything that was sexy about the original Aurora. It looks too massive to me and the back looks like a giant "C". Everything I liked about the original design (baby Nimbus on a small pedestal) is gone. I was super close to buying this speaker before Ryan had his personal problems so I'm very interested in how the new design progresses. I don't like the changes I'm seeing. I personally would like to see a column that starts in the back and tapers to the front on the front on the floor. That would be sexy.

I liked this quite a bit:

Slush

EdRo

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2017, 01:34 am »
Those are a beautiful set, I'll grant you that. Wait until you see the new set painted with the outriggers on the column. I think it'll look killer!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #34 on: 21 Mar 2017, 01:47 am »
You are a talented designer, no doubt about that, so I will wait for final pictures and give honest feedback on the finished design.

Slush

EdRo

« Reply #35 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:07 am »
If anyones interested, maybe I could bring these to Axpona. At least to display. I'll be there helping Lampizator with my rack. Spatial speakers will be in the room. Maybe if anyone out there wants an afterparty listen somewhere?

EdRo

« Reply #36 on: 21 Mar 2017, 08:12 pm »
Ok, this is it. The shape has been changed a bit. I hope this does it for everybody. I took your criticisms to heart, Slush, and softened the point and shortened the length of the top. I also moved the radius lower on the bottom front and increased the radius. I think that this looks better balanced aesthetically, and remember, this column needs to be deeper than the original to contain the x-o.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #37 on: 22 Mar 2017, 01:44 am »
Ed,

At first I didn't see much of a change, then I compared the two pictures side-by-side. The redesign looks significantly better! The slope is back and the "baby bump" on the bottom front is gone. Sorry I didn't catch the need for the change when I posted last night. I didn't know you were relocating the crossover. This looks really good. Can't wait to see the final pictures!

Slush

harley52

« Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2017, 03:47 pm »
 Ed, like Slush I find the original to be much, much better looking. Just my two cents. If I was to purchase another pr. could I get the original stands?
Thanks

EdRo

« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2017, 04:40 pm »
I just gotta say guys...let me get this newest set painted and on this stand. As a whole I think this is stronger.