Musical Fidelity Roundtable Turntable 299 shipped

orthobiz

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Musical Fidelity Roundtable Turntable 299 shipped
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2017, 12:43 am »
Thanks Paul, I think.   :scratch:  :icon_twisted:  Caught me in a moment of weakness. Figure I can't go too far wrong given I was willing to pick up a used unit that would undoubtedly need some work & tweaks for that much or more. Haven't done much research on it, but even if it's a $500 TT upped to $1k, it's still a deal. Couldn't find any specific reviews/comments on it with a quick search. We'll see. Been looking for a backup for a while now, and with current budget considerations it should get the job done. Doesn't look like the AT cart is much, but have a Gold Longhorn sitting in the drawer I can try.

At the very least it will give me the compare/contrast option with my old Thorens, which could stand some tweaks. That said it sounded so good out of the cupboard after ~10 yrs in storage I'm not touching it until absolutely necessary. So if you see a guy on the corner with a cup & sign, "Will work for vinyl. 33 1/3 preferred", that will be me.  :)

JD

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2017, 05:05 am by ArthurDent »

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:34 am »
Hard to know, it does seem like a deal, though, so "can't go wrong," eh?

Paul

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2017, 04:10 am »
The platter size alone marks it as a bargain for the price...

srb

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2017, 06:15 am »
Haven't done much research on it, but even if it's a $500 TT upped to $1k, it's still a deal.

It does seem that the majority of $1K MSRP turntables (a) that come with a  pre-installed cartridge have something a notch or two above a $40 AT95e and (b) have an aluminum, acrylic or composite platter vs. an all-MDF platter.

Steve

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:00 pm »
It does seem that the majority of $1K MSRP turntables (a) that come with a  pre-installed cartridge have something a notch or two above a $40 AT95e and (b) have an aluminum, acrylic or composite platter vs. an all-MDF platter.

Steve

Yeah Steve, I'm skeptical of the $1k valuation. It was also disappointing that on an initial check the only two 'reviews' were of their M-1 package unit w/built-in phono pre. The price may be why the unit is discontinued per Music Fidelity's website. Hence the price reduction as well. It's an 'experiment' of sorts. I'll have the ability to run both tables side by side, if not thru the same phono pre simultaneously. I have a friend's Parasound Phono pre I can use for that with Frank's CF which has a built-in Vision Phono. Given his satisfaction with his new Orbit rig, at a budget price, hopefully this is comparable. Only time will tell. Haven't "set up" a table for 30 years, so that will be interesting as well. All I did with the Thorens was level it, and run it, based on it's original status when stored. Have checked a couple of things, and did replace the belt, but it's been running like a champ for these last 5-6 years.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:02 pm »
This table was on permanent sale for $500 for the last year or so, and now that it's discontinued its gone down to $299, so I really look at this as a $500 street priced table.  Not having heard it, just looking at the specs, it seems like a great bargain for the closeout pricing.  I can't imagine you could get hurt buying this unit even with the MDF platter and inexpensive cartridge, I say go for it.