A story about 4 IC's and system interaction

genjamon

Re: A story about 4 IC's and system interaction
« Reply #40 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:15 am »
Oh, I'm definitely not criticizing your review effort, BRM. Thanks for sharing all your impressions and story. And I was interested to read the impressions on that thread, just didn't realize there would only be the two on the first page when there are 11pages of posts. And as for the Zenwave offerings, of course no one should be expected to try them all. But given Dave's generous return policies, and your aspirations, and Dave's fairly innovative approaches, I'm  just surprised  they've never made it into your stable at this point is all.

I'll certainly add my impressions if and when I hear the Teos.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #41 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:10 am »
I ordered a pair to try as well Ben. They were supposed to ship out yesterday but it's been delayed a couple of days because of the influx of orders the last week or so. Probably because somebody (hmm BRM) had to go tell everybody how freaking great these cables are... :green:

From what you read about them they appear to be not that easy to make so they probably can't crank them out fast enough as the orders come in. Hopefully in due time I'll have a pair to see how they stack against the D4's.

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:17 am »
While I have not tried either the Teo or Zenwave, I have made interconnects (in various configurations) from the Neotech gold/silver wire.  I had three guys (and I have not tried to bring them anywhere else) from my local audio society ask me to make them for them (at cost) and two of them have multiple pairs.  Together with the other guys, there was quite a collection of expensive cables which we were all satisfied the interconnects made surpassed in different systems (and I have some form of them in 5 of my systems alone).  That being said, if there was a tour, I would give them a listen.  If there is not, all I've seen is lots of hype (and due to the need for benefits, I ditched going into the cable making business 13-14 years back when I was retired the first time) up until now (and really limited impressions).  One of the guys who has a form of one of the cables I made told me he at one point had interconnects that were $10k (or something like that) at retail.  There always is a lot of controversy with cables and what difference they make or don't make.  So I'm at the point of willing to try on a tour but don't feel the need to go out and buy them.  I certainly don't question anyone's impressions vs. anything else as unless one is in the room with the system and cables, there really isn't anything to say.  This hobby is about enjoyment not about argument.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #43 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:23 am »

This hobby is about enjoyment not about argument.

Amen brother

Big Red Machine

« Reply #44 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:48 pm »
(Note to self)I need to update my systems page.

I would say the second pair so far is more of the same. I only have 90 minutes on them so next week might reveal some changes. I think the thing I keep experiencing is that everything sounds so real. I do feel like things are a little softer but then again as I have stated, these do not congest the sound. I am wondering if my mid-level at best cables just could not keep up being plain ol' wire 8).

I still think that we have been trained to hear what wire can deliver and take that as our reference and now this slurry of metal changes our paradigm of what to expect. I still get attack from things that are supposed to have leading edges. I find that the music just seems to have so much more soul and body and depth. I have great top end triangles and violins and my bass is off the charts. Midrange is where I see the depth. Instruments sound so meaty. I have some tracks of predominantly drumming and I can easily hear rolls of snare drums of all types. As a drummer I recognize the difference between wood shells and metal shells. And I can easily pick out with the Teos whether the tom tom was struck in the center or near the edge of the head. Cliche coming: now I want to sample everything because listening to music is one more notch funner!

I also have a pair of OTL mono-blocks coming next week so I can see if they light my fire.

Can't wait for more of you to get your cables soon. Looks like Kenny ordered two pair and so did his buddy. And now Tony has ordered two pairs as well. And Don too I think. And maybe two other members who were PM'ing me last week. They'll either love me or hate me in a week or so :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #45 on: 21 Mar 2017, 12:06 am »
I am not an expert on these Teo cables so you can PM me about them and I am happy to advise.  Some of you are not loving them from the jump and I did so hopefully some settling will help them hit the mark they do for me.  Best advice I can give is keep them running for a few days.

Chris Adams

« Reply #46 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:29 am »
I ordered two pair a couple of weeks ago. I guess Ken got hit with a bunch of orders. I really hope they show up soon.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:19 am »
I ordered two pair a couple of weeks ago. I guess Ken got hit with a bunch of orders. I really hope they show up soon.

I did not want to say anything until they are literally in the box and ready to go, but your two cables are done re their initial burn in and listen, and the bits of finishing work and boxing up need to be done. The ship date is tomorrow. It should have been Friday past, but a part delivery that was to take place Thursday past... did not.

These cables are like that, re the sound. Just before I came here, I read an email that said:

Hi Ken,
I received the cables today. All I can say is, "wow." I cannot even imagine what your more expensive cables must be like, nor is it likely I will ever be in a position of being able to find out. Even so, these have taken my system to another level of clarity, dimension, and texture that I have I never experienced in nearly twenty years in the hobby.

So, I dunno what to say.....except that we all listen and tune our systems differently and we listen for similar but not exactly the same things. This is a good thing, in the long run and long view. Otherwise humanity would have no capacity for change --- and be a dead thing. There will never be a universal fit for anything of this world, and that's a good thing, IMO.

We had a dealer who bought a pair for themselves and thought they were dark, compared to their reference cables (the most common point mentioned). "No detail!", they said. They were going to send them back, but they'd only done a single swap back to their reference. Then the dealer disappeared from the conversation. I guess they decided otherwise, in the end. No data, I don't really know. Note the seeming contradiction compared to some other folks trying the cables and commenting on what they hear.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #48 on: 21 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm »
Ken, I see that the Cable Co. has your cables listed on their website. I am okay with $1500 for a pair of IC's if they are a jump up in performance over Game Changers. Also, I assume they do not have inventory and you guys would have to make them to fulfill the order?

Chris Adams

« Reply #49 on: 21 Mar 2017, 12:57 pm »
I did not want to say anything until they are literally in the box and ready to go, but your two cables are done re their initial burn in and listen, and the bits of finishing work and boxing up need to be done. The ship date is tomorrow. It should have been Friday past, but a part delivery that was to take place Thursday past... did not.

Thanks for the info, Ken. I'm really looking forward to listening to these.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #50 on: 21 Mar 2017, 01:21 pm »
I had one pair come in yesterday and was told by Ken my second pair will be shipped today. But so far I'm pretty impressed with what little time I've had to listen to the first pair. Like I told a friend, there are tons of detail but very natural and lifelike. Vocals sound about as good as I've ever heard. Definitely looking forward to seeing how they settle in the next few days and of course wait for the second pair.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 21 Mar 2017, 07:56 pm »
Ken, I see that the Cable Co. has your cables listed on their website. I am okay with $1500 for a pair of IC's if they are a jump up in performance over Game Changers. Also, I assume they do not have inventory and you guys would have to make them to fulfill the order?

We have not dealt with the cable company for quite some time, so I've no idea what is going on over there....

We have also yet to clarify which models are currently in existence, and which are obsolete (but still very functional!).

We sell direct to all of North America at this time, except for the few dealers who have stuck with us over the years.

As for burn in, a topic that has to be mentioned, for one single point: Do not use burn in machines or burn in techniques for this cable. Only use music signals at line level. Do not attempt to accelerate the burn in process and time frame. Those old rules and 'known norms' apply to wire.

sfox7076

« Reply #52 on: 23 Mar 2017, 06:22 pm »
Any update from people other than Pete?  Shawn

misterclean

« Reply #53 on: 28 Mar 2017, 01:52 pm »

I have had my Teo cables for a week or so now--with a second pair on order--and I can say that they are the most impressive interconnects from top to bottom that I have had in my system. Ken says they will continue to improve up to about 100 hours of burn-in, and I did experience a brief period of some harshness in the highs after 20 hours or so, but that is gone now and the sound is just phenomenal. In short, this is the clearest window into the music that I have experienced with a pair of interconnects. I continue to be amazed by the clarity, openness, texture, and impact I get with the Teos. I have had more than a few "wow" moments in the past week listening to my system.

I thought they were great right out of the gate, but they do get better as they get more hours of break in as they relax and open up. I am looking forward to receiving my second pair early next week.

I hope others will chime in with their impressions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 28 Mar 2017, 07:47 pm »
Me too.

MarkR7

« Reply #55 on: 28 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm »
So are two pairs of the Teo GC ICs better than one pair? Are the benefits of two pair balanced / or magnified?  :scratch:

I ask because my experience with two pairs of HFC CT-1 ICs and two pairs of Cerious Graphene ICs was too much of a good thing for either of them.  I am loving the one pair of Teo GC ICs I have between my DAC and preamp, but I am concerned of getting the same too much of a good thing if I add one more.  I was able to get a great balance between the other ICs I have when I mix and match them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #56 on: 28 Mar 2017, 11:11 pm »
Well I did not notice anything of significant magnitude with the second pair. It was more of the same but smaller impact when first installed. I was okay with Morrows and Teos but for the money the Teos are worth it to me.

Unfortunately I put in a new power conditioner and had to move all my graphene power cables as well after only a few hours on the IC's. So the sound is different now but I am glad I have the 2nd pair as things settle in. The sound is different but I can still tell the Teo's are doing their thing.

I am going to pursue a pair of the better Teo IC's sometime this year.

MarkR7

« Reply #57 on: 28 Mar 2017, 11:24 pm »
Good to know, thanks Pete!

Well I did not notice anything of significant magnitude with the second pair. It was more of the same but smaller impact when first installed. I was okay with Morrows and Teos but for the money the Teos are worth it to me.

Unfortunately I put in a new power conditioner and had to move all my graphene power cables as well after only a few hours on the IC's. So the sound is different now but I am glad I have the 2nd pair as things settle in. The sound is different but I can still tell the Teo's are doing their thing.

I am going to pursue a pair of the better Teo IC's sometime this year.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 30 Mar 2017, 06:33 pm »
Just a note:

Feel free to try the GC cables for digital signal transfer. Technically, it should not work for that purpose, as they were not designed with that in mind. No, not at all.

10 years on, the liquid metal continues to surprise me. It keeps on walking though and around known accepted norms.

I've only given it a shot at at up to 48khz transfer so far, but it works fine at that..... the debate is about how well it may or may not work in this re-purposing.

My test involved a 0.6m length of the cable. It handily beats a 3 foot glass optical cable, but so can lots of other properly built wire coax designs. The GC is not a coax-centric design. It was designed to work with analog audio signals. But fluid is as fluid does, and that is partially dictated by signal, which is a scenario that is unlike wire's behaviour.

mick wolfe

« Reply #59 on: 2 Apr 2017, 04:53 pm »
Me too.

Me three. Misterclean has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his assessment of the TEO. It's like every IC I've been using up until now has been somewhat restricting the signal by comparison. This would include excellent Morrow MA5 ( silver Eichmann's) and Shindo IC's.  Bigger, bolder, more spacious presentation done with a greater sense of ease.