Testing Power Tubes...

Analog Aecad

Testing Power Tubes...
« on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:22 am »
[Noob Alert]
I have a number of NOS EL34s that I need tested so I can run them as matched pairs in a pair of Quicksilver Mid Mono amps. (My pair of amps have pin jacks to allow for meter use in setting the bias of each pair of power tubes.)

Due to Murphy's Law of Moving (stuff is never in the right box) I no longer have the data sheets. The shop I purchased the tubes from is no longer in business. So I looked at tctubes.com. Their Standard test includes current draw (mA) and transconductance (Gm) in the actual readings (upon request) for each tube. In requesting a quote they also supplied me with a sample AT1000 data sheet (image below) for a typical EL34 which would be part of their Premium test.

a) Is the data in the Standard test sufficient for me to match up the tubes to a reasonable extent?
b) Or would it be necessary (or even worth the doubled cost per tube) to get their Premium testing done?

TIA for any comments or suggestions.

Sample EL34 data sheet:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Testing Power Tubes...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:57 am »
Match tubes apply only to amps which dont have individual Bias per tube.

Analog Aecad

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2017, 12:55 pm »
Match tubes apply only to amps which dont have individual Bias per tube.
Quote from: Analog Aecad
(My pair of amps have pin jacks to allow for meter use in setting the bias of each pair of power tubes.)
To be clear, the jacks are not for each tube but for the pair of tubes in each amp. Per the manufacturer the amps need matched pairs of tubes. What I'm trying to determine is the extent of testing needed in order to "match" pairs of tubes on a practical basis. I.E., While tctubes.com offers "High voltage testing -- 500+ Volts" at an additional cost, I don't know if that's a definitive factor. If a reasonable "match" can be made based on just the current draw (mA) and transconductance (Gm) figures then I'll be satisfied with their Standard test regimen.
On the other hand if their Premium test regimen (per the sample data sheet) gives me other data that would be more pertinent then I'll go that route.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:28 pm »
The match apply only to output gain, they dont match tubes by others parameters, unmatched tubes dont will sound bad also, but always there is some golden ear audiophile that claim to hear La difference LOL