The design physolosophy is still there,

Cheers
Chris

:lol:  That's philosophy, Chris. 

cheers

Phil A

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #161 on: 28 Mar 2017, 03:51 pm »
Ouch. A surge protector bar should protect against these, no?

No - if you get hit they won't stop it.  Had whole house surge protection (it blew that out), local surge protection on most of the devices and also one of these  http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html   on a couple of circuits and still stuff was damaged.  One outlet the Yalu Bulala was plugged into was my low voltage box receptacle which feeds some of the circuits where stuff was plugged into.  The Yalu Bulala did its job and is toast and the inside of the receptacle was melted so you can't plug anything into it.  Replaced that.  Dealing with so many issues (pool pump repair, electrical, audio, video, network).  The insurance company is a pain too.  Was in front of the computer monitor (which got toasted) when it happened on Thursday and I could feel the electrical field.  My neighbor told me she screamed when it hit as it was that loud.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #162 on: 28 Mar 2017, 03:56 pm »
^ Geez, that's the first I've heard of multiple toasts. I live in a high-rise condo, so different situation there.

Keep grounded.

Grant Hill

« Reply #163 on: 28 Mar 2017, 04:20 pm »
No - if you get hit they won't stop it.  Had whole house surge protection (it blew that out), local surge protection on most of the devices and also one of these  http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html   on a couple of circuits and still stuff was damaged.  One outlet the Yalu Bulala was plugged into was my low voltage box receptacle which feeds some of the circuits where stuff was plugged into.  The Yalu Bulala did its job and is toast and the inside of the receptacle was melted so you can't plug anything into it.  Replaced that.  Dealing with so many issues (pool pump repair, electrical, audio, video, network).  The insurance company is a pain too.  Was in front of the computer monitor (which got toasted) when it happened on Thursday and I could feel the electrical field.  My neighbor told me she screamed when it hit as it was that loud.

I am sorry to hear that Phil. I hope you get all fixed

Marius

« Reply #164 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:11 am »
The design physolosophy is still there, these additional features remain dormant until you turn them on, much like turning on the upnp renderer.  The BDP-3 like any other BDP will come preconfigured in what we consider to be optimal, but like any other BDP it can have additional features turned on or reconfigured to use different playback services.  The firmware becomes larger, but inwouodn't necessarily consider it any more bloated.

Cheers
Chris

Cool Chris, thanks for that. I understand, and its good to know.
We hear so much about the many new options, functionality or possibilities, i was fearing the worst ;) Still you remain very low profile (...) as to the specifications of all those new possibilities, while calling it the BDP-3. Which up to now seems only to be the new board, and no new design features? Bit of a lucky move, can't imagine Bryston acting that impulsive?

It does make me wonder whether programming and implementing all these new features and possibilities into NN won't keep the developing team from optimizing the much needed core stability and performance requirements. You've been under a lot of pressure already!

Keep treading those mills Chris!
Cheers,
Marius

Phil A

« Reply #165 on: 29 Mar 2017, 01:02 pm »
I am sorry to hear that Phil. I hope you get all fixed

Thanks - spent a busy day yesterday having the AC units checked and serviced and running around.  Got some replacement TVs (not going to wait for the insurance they make take a long time) and a computer monitor (got a new router the day before).  Since the insurance company is a pain (I know some of what is wrong like the sound card on the PC is gone), I have people coming over the next several days to check audio, video, computer, pool pump and electrical stuff.  Will get more of the stuff up and running (with the replacement stuff I got) to make it easier when people look at it to narrow down problems (I'm sure a couple of receivers are toast and a monoblock amp so far).

XMAN

« Reply #166 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:01 pm »
Thanks - spent a busy day yesterday having the AC units checked and serviced and running around.  Got some replacement TVs (not going to wait for the insurance they make take a long time) and a computer monitor (got a new router the day before).  Since the insurance company is a pain (I know some of what is wrong like the sound card on the PC is gone), I have people coming over the next several days to check audio, video, computer, pool pump and electrical stuff.  Will get more of the stuff up and running (with the replacement stuff I got) to make it easier when people look at it to narrow down problems (I'm sure a couple of receivers are toast and a monoblock amp so far).

Sorry to hear this Phil i hope all works out in the end.

R. Daneel

« Reply #167 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:28 pm »
The "technological advancement" is a valid argument.

However, it inevitably boils down to "obsolescence" for the end user.

BDP is a hi-fi component, not a computer. Amplifiers, preamplifiers and even CD players progress very gradually and only a manufacturer who is unfamiliar with the intricacies of genuine R&D will claim otherwise and insist on the word "revolutionary" rather than "evolutionary". It is my view that BDP should be excused from this obsolescence, to a degree. If a goal is to make it a platform rather than a product, then it is how platforms are established.

To put it differently, if you put all advantages of the BDP aside for a moment and think of it like a computer, then you can have a different computer for a fraction of the cost.

If you cannot put those advantages aside, then clearly, we are not talking about a computer and so, this new feature set is not what it should be all about.

BDP-1 had an AMD chipset which could support 768MB of system RAM and yet, it was kept at 256MB. Whether that's enough or not, I don't Know. What I can say is that unplugging the flash drive from either BDP-1 or -2 while they're playing will play the exact same track till the end and then stop. BDP-2 did not buffer more than a BDP-1.

On the other hand, BDP-2 has a provision on the left side of it's rear panel that can make use of it's internal USB 3.0 ports, even if it's main bus has limited bandwidth to allow for full use of the USB 3.0 protocol, but having 8 USB ports instead of 6 would have still been welcome.

So there are still ways to improve upon what is already an existing platform.

Cheers!
Antun

« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2017, 04:07 pm by R. Daneel »

Phil A

« Reply #168 on: 29 Mar 2017, 02:32 pm »
Sorry to hear this Phil i hope all works out in the end.

Thanks!

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #169 on: 29 Mar 2017, 07:52 pm »
Phil
I too am sorry to hear about the lightening strike. In reading all of your posts over the last yr you are very meticulous and careful about your gear. Good luck in getting it sorted. Glad your A/C is back up.

After your done if there are any tips we should know about protection pls post them. I would hate to go thru this.

BTW my truck got hit by the baseball size hail in Greenville SC Last week and the insurance company is a pain to deal with as well

Phil A

« Reply #170 on: 29 Mar 2017, 08:05 pm »
Phil

BTW my truck got hit by the baseball size hail in Greenville SC Last week and the insurance company is a pain to deal with as well

Sorry to hear that - yes they all are a pain, except when taking your premiums.  Hopefully by early next week, I'll have all the bad news sorted out.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #171 on: 30 Mar 2017, 02:46 am »
BDP-2 did not buffer more than a BDP-1.

It might seem like that, but its not the case, mpd removes songs from the playlist when they are removed.from its database and the firmware issues an update command when a flash drive is removed.  If you disable this you'll find the bdp-2 will potentially go on for hours.

Hoiman

« Reply #172 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:42 pm »
I have some SACD iso's, does the BDP-3 play this? The BDP-1 doesn't.

Phil A

« Reply #173 on: 1 Apr 2017, 03:54 pm »
I have some SACD iso's, does the BDP-3 play this? The BDP-1 doesn't.

Don't know if it will play ISO files but it will do per the specs (page 8) up to double DSD at present - http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/DIGITAL_AUDIO_BROCHURE_V2.pdf

One can convert the ISO to DSF files via a couple of programs (if necessary) - e.g. - http://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

Hoiman

« Reply #174 on: 1 Apr 2017, 04:30 pm »
thanks.

Grant Hill

« Reply #175 on: 3 Apr 2017, 09:44 am »
Hi Hoiman,

did you order the BDP3?

Hoiman

« Reply #176 on: 3 Apr 2017, 10:29 am »
did you order the BDP3?
Yes.

I wonder when I can expect it, James? In 4 or 6 weeks?

Grant Hill

« Reply #177 on: 3 Apr 2017, 10:53 am »
great! then let us know if you're able to play ISO files

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #178 on: 3 Apr 2017, 11:09 am »
Yes.

I wonder when I can expect it, James? In 4 or 6 weeks?

Hi Holman

We are waiting for safety certification so I would guess about 6 weeks.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #179 on: 3 Apr 2017, 02:47 pm »
Ok thanks.