Black granite as equipment and speaker platforms

andycsb

Black granite as equipment and speaker platforms
« on: 16 Feb 2017, 09:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried granite as speaker or equipment platforms? I have read that while they can enhance bass and impact (good), they can also thin out the mids and increase treble energy (bad). Could this be possible? I would be most grateful for feedback and perhaps a recommendation for an alternative.

Thanks!

rockadanny

Re: Black granite as equipment and speaker platforms
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2017, 10:41 pm »
Not sure about its use as stands, but the sides of my speakers are black granite - exquisite looking and sound terrific to me.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2017, 11:47 pm »
I use a 18"x42" piece of granite as my equipment rack.  I haven't noticed any ill effects, I am also using Herbie's Tenderfeet under the equipment that sits on the granite.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2017, 02:37 am by ebag4 »

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:35 am »
I have a thick slab of African Black granite under one of my turntables. However, I have a Booz maple butcher block under another that I might favor more.....

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2017, 12:41 am »
I use granite under my rack, speakers, and subs.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2017, 08:07 am »
I see granite as one of a number of material options. There are a lot of possible variations even with the simple selection of the material ... granite could be thick or thin, heavy or not so much, and so on. Then if you go to constrained layer construction it gets more complex. Try it and see what you think.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2017, 11:33 am »
Granite is not used anymore to audio as it not transparent enough, add a unmusical bass reinforcement under 60Hz.
Material currently used is real wood.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:26 pm »
add a unmusical bass reinforcement under 60Hz

You've measured or heard this when a slab of granite has been used as a stand?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:30 pm »
You've measured or heard this when a slab of granite has been used as a stand?
Tests from Hifi Choice in the 1990s.
I would use granite platform if I had one, better than nothing, fortunately wood is cheaper than stone.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:37 pm »
I second not using granite. It will ring at a higher frequency than wood and most woods are preferred for tone control over stone.

BobRex

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:03 pm »
If you want the mass of stone, consider slate.  As a sedimentary rock, it won't ring like granite, and in fact, with the many boundary layers, it should suppress vibration.

andycsb

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2017, 08:38 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciate it.

For real woods, besides maple, what would be suitable? Denser the better?

Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2017, 08:55 pm »
Hard maple w/brass cones is the best, but I heard good praise to cutting platform w/3 or more types of wood.
Also less price than full maple.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2017, 03:54 pm by FullRangeMan »

Syrah

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2017, 03:32 pm »
I think one has to experiment.  I've used wood and granite.  Granite is much better in several places on my system, particularly if you glue (Gorilla glue, 3M, silicone, etc) granite to MDF.  The MDF dampens the ringing of the granite.  I've compared maple, bloodwood, DIY Symposium racks, etc.  Under my tube preamp and under my VPI Aries 3d, dampened granite is the best.  No so under my DAC.  YMMV.

andycsb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2017, 08:26 am »
Thanks guys. Has anyone compared maple vs other woods? Sonic differences, if any?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:34 am »
There is two flavors hard woods vs soft woods.

G.Michael

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2017, 05:44 pm »
I've always used wood or wood composites equipment platforms, and have used a few different kinds of isolation cones with them--mostly brass (including Audiopoints and Mapleshade) and ceramic or polymer (including BDR).

What kind of isolation cones/feet do you use with granite platforms?

brooklyn

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2017, 04:48 pm »
How about bamboo? I’ve used bamboo slabs (cutting boards) with some success. There dense
and looked real nice under my audio equipment..  I’ve found them at stores like TJ Max for a
very reasonable amount of money. They can be found in different sizes and thickness.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2017, 05:12 pm »
How about bamboo? I’ve used bamboo slabs (cutting boards) with some success. There dense
and looked real nice under my audio equipment..  I’ve found them at stores like TJ Max for a
very reasonable amount of money. They can be found in different sizes and thickness.
Any link? Google inform TJmaxx is a female shoes site.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2017, 09:24 pm »
Any link? Google inform TJmaxx is a female shoes site.

T.J.Maxx is a men and women's clothing, shoes, accessories and housewares store.

A lot of the inventory available in the stores is not available on their website.