Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Re: Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.
« Reply #100 on: 12 Mar 2017, 08:56 pm »
After a weekend of listening to the Itube2 I have nothing but praise to say for it. Have tried all of the options for a buffer with 0db gain. Not tried the preamp option nor the buffer with gain. It really provides a "richness" to all of my music which are FLAC files but have hi res and older 70's and 80's material. Very easy listening and musical. For the money I would advocate that it would be a worthwhile addition to most systems. I prefer push/pull Vs studio and SET. 3D matrix in the down or default position and I switch between +6db base vs bass enhancement off depending on the music. Overall a great purchase and a big plus to my system. Clarity, fullness, great dynamic impact. I am very happy with the purchase.

It doesn't run hot but warm and I have chosen to leave it on 24/7. Again, give it a try and I don't think you will be disappointed. A very happy customer

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #101 on: 12 Mar 2017, 09:05 pm »
I know there are folks that want to know about the use as a stand alone preamp. Next week I'll take my Nuforce P9 out of the loop and try it as a standalone pre. with and without gain and will report back

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #102 on: 13 Mar 2017, 04:43 am »
I think it would be cool if iFi didn't label any of the switches.  And just sent a manual that said something like:

"Here are some switches, they do some stuff.  Adjust them till you like the sound the best."

That would be kind of awesome, actually :D

bacobits1

« Reply #103 on: 13 Mar 2017, 09:10 am »
It needs a remote!
I have to keep getting up and sitting back down to hear the changes. :scratch:
It is quite the shape shifter.

Phil A

« Reply #104 on: 13 Mar 2017, 01:48 pm »
It needs a remote!
I have to keep getting up and sitting back down to hear the changes. :scratch:
It is quite the shape shifter.

Just invite a bunch of people over and have someone make the changes.  Mine for the present is in the office system and it is about 5 feet away.  If I try it in the main system or bring it to someone's house to try, it's best with multiple people.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #105 on: 13 Mar 2017, 09:46 pm »
I'm not on the tour, but ordered an iTube2 for use in my system.  I'm running a Jolida JD100 CDP directly into a Crown XLS-1500 amplifier, connected to Klipsch Forte I speakers (full Crites upgrades, Jupiter cotton-covered solid core internal wiring, and Pomona low mass Tellurium copper binding posts.)

Like some, I've avoided a preamp to keep a simpler audio chain, particularly with a true tube-output CDP.  I've now decided to try a preamp based on what I've read regarding impedance matching.  The Jolida's output impedance is 47 ohms...the Crown' s input impedance is 10k ohms (through the rca inputs.)  The iTube in the mix would present the Jolida with either a 1 million ohm input impedance (buffer only) or 100K ohms input impedance (Preamp mode.)   Its "uncorrected" output impedance into the Crown is less than 1 ohm. The impedance figures on both ends move drastically in what I've read to be the correct directions for matching.   The iTube2 just seems like a modern, innovative, versatile (and returnable!) way to check for the audio effects, inline with the price of my system. 

bacobits1

« Reply #106 on: 14 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm »
Let me start off by saying thank you to Pez and Co. for the audition of the iTube 2.

Here is my take after mucho listening.
I think iFi makes cool well engineered products. These actual user reviews are more important to me
than the Pro reviews for obvious reasons we all know about. There are so many different systems out there and add in our tastes you have hundreds of configurations. The iTube2 is a “Swiss army knife” of customization a good way to put it. Much fun listening to the changes. I like to look at it as…. It’s not a fixer but a flavor changer. I have no problem with the form factor. Classy, small well made as is the iPhono2.

Dedicated Room 11 X14 here, Nothing fancy all reasonable  priced  just well chosen components that work great together. My way of thinking I like to keep things straight up simple. Primary listening is CD and Vinyl. I don’t have Computer files so nothing is Ripped. Computer is used strictly for Streaming and new music selections.

Everything I’m about to report on has to do with flavor and not really improvements in my system. I very much like the way the system sounds as is and as far as improvements I would have to throw a bunch of money at it which I’m not about or need to do. I like iFI products for their excellent cost to value ratio.

System: Picts in Gallery
Usher Cp6371 > 91db/4 ohms
RedGum RGi120 ENR  275W/ch at 4 ohms, It’s a monster! Pathos Classic One MKII not used in audution
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Itona Industrial version, with a Curious link for streaming to the DAC. From HP Envy i7 12 gig, Samsung 850EVO 512 SSD HD, Win10
Cambridge CXC Transport
Clearaudio Emotion SE, CMB, Carbon Satisfy Tonearm, Phoenix Falcon Power Supply
Phono, iFi Phono 2 , S Booster LPS
AT 33 PTG II
Everything Wywires, or WE16ga SC or Belden 8402 IC.
Maestro outlets,
BrickWall Line Filter AUD15
50# Granite, and a 27# 3" Maple Butcher block, various Herbie's offerings MG Room Tunes

Some folks like to see our listening lineup.

Vinyl:
Diana Krall> Greatest Hits, Wallflower
Dire Straits> Brothers in Arms
Donald Fagen> The Night Fly
Dave Brubeck>Time Out
Fleetwood Mac> Tango in the Night, Rumors
Norah Jones> Little Broken Hearts
Grover Washington Jr> Winelight
Steely Dan> Greatest hits

Read the instructions! Use a round toothpick to change the dip’s and turn off as advised when doing so.
Runs warm as expected.  A Tube start up warmup LED feature, very nice! I left it on and  had no problem.

Comments on using the iTube2 Using the iFI Phono2 with the S Booster LPS is the star here. Another reviewer did not like the iTube using his phono he was using. Adding a LPS was mentioned in the review referenced by Pez over on the AGone Board. It was mentioned in detail with the iTube 2 and the iPhono2 combo with sound  approaching  the fat AMR phono in the area of $6k. Adding the LPS increased the goodness factor by 2X.

All was auditioned with  the iPhono2 and the iTube2 using Buffer settings 0 gain. Very much liked the SET setting at times but settled on the middle Tube classic setting best . I could not test it as a stand alone Pre. When using the Pre settings seemed to be a bit veiled and fuzzy and I sure don’t need the gain. So the buffer settings with gain were not used but tried. The sound stage 3D setting I did not care for here, as instructed used for nearfield smaller desktop setups. Some things came across as too much of a good thing in the 3D high setting.
The +6db base vs bass enhancement off depending on the music . Seemed a bit bloated on some albums/songs more than others. Your system will be different. Just the S Booster LPS  changes things to an increased  very relaxed , separation and tone that sounds live. So the iTube 2 here is a flavor changer to your own taste. You will be flipping stuff on all your selections.

CD:
Pieces of a Dream> All In
Gerald Albright> Slam Dunk
Berk and The Virtual Band> Jazz Chill 1,2,3
Michael Lington> Soul Appeal
Jessy J> Hot Sauce
Jim Peteriik> Life Force
Paul Brown> Truth Be Told
Fat Burger> TGIF

Streaming Spotify only, No Tidal, won’t give them the $$ but that’s me.

Using the Yggdrasil DAC I’m not about to change much on this excellent DAC. I bought it because of the way it is voiced and upgrade ability. So here we go with flavor changes and the iTube was used that way. Pretty much mirrors the above Vinyl use settings which thinking about it has more to do with the voicing of the Redgum which is a passive pre Integrated. The Redgum sound is huge and has realistic size and slam. It has startling realistic dynamic swings when called for. Ya gotta watch the volume. Prodigious tight real bass, naturally presented, no bloat in my room on my speakers. No need for sub here.

Again,the iTube 2 I used as a tube buffer, no gain. A little difficult changing the DIP switches for quick flips as the caution states having to shut it down when making these changes.
Listened mostly to the Tube buffer 0 Gain, Studio Setting, but the SET setting was nice again too. For some reason on Vinyl and Digital didn’t care for the PP setting, seemed to be messing with the midrange separation too much.
The Yiggy has a special bass so I didn’t like the X bass settings. This takes a lot of listening with all these settings to play with.

I won’t go into too much more detail because ya just gotta try it.
A remarkable engineered product to make these changes. You need to leave ithe iTube 2 out in the open because you are going to mess with it!! Maybe too much?

Lots of Products with more coming on and a bit hard to keep track of.

Good show AMR/iFi !!

If you order from Music Direct you have free shipping and the 60 return policy. You can't go wrong with that. :thumb: :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:08 pm »
Den,
I couldn't agree more. The iTube2 is a miracle of modern science.  8) And yes I am biased, but no need to bias the iTube2.  :duh:

JakeJ

« Reply #108 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm »
Kinda quiet in this thread lately,

Pez, can you give us a heads up as to where the two tour groups are?  Who has them and who's next?  I'm in the west coast group and my job is occupying all my time for the next three weeks due to a major maintenance downtime.

rodge827

« Reply #109 on: 19 Mar 2017, 01:02 pm »
I have the East Coast unit in my rig. Will post later in the week.

Chris

jk@home

« Reply #110 on: 19 Mar 2017, 04:08 pm »
Question. What does the preamp circuit in the iTube 2 do, other than add the volume control into the circuit? And if one turns the control up 100%, aren't they pretty much taking it out of the circuit? Is the added gain via dip switches before or after the control?

SFDude

« Reply #111 on: 19 Mar 2017, 04:53 pm »
Pez, can you give us a heads up as to where the two tour groups are?  Who has them and who's next?  I'm in the west coast group and my job is occupying all my time for the next three weeks due to a major maintenance downtime.

Yup. This would be good to know based on the original list. I know I'm down the list towards the end for the West Coast tour but I wanted to make sure I allocated time out of my working schedule to do a proper listening and evaluation of the iTube2 unit. Good for folks to check in periodically when they received it. Thanks!

-dave

charmerci

« Reply #112 on: 19 Mar 2017, 07:54 pm »

Re: West group - gilfrod has it now. The last I heard before he got it - was that he was getting it last Tues - which probably means I'll get it Thursday/Friday.

You're supposed to get it after me - so I guess I'll send it off to SF Dude first.

Pez

« Reply #113 on: 19 Mar 2017, 07:59 pm »
We are roughly half way though both lists. One is in LA WITH rod.  The other is in Jersey with Chris. :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #114 on: 20 Mar 2017, 02:51 am »

Re: West group - gilfrod has it now. The last I heard before he got it - was that he was getting it last Tues - which probably means I'll get it Thursday/Friday.

You're supposed to get it after me - so I guess I'll send it off to SF Dude first.

Well, poop!  If it comes before the 10th of April I will have to just pass it on to the next person.  :sad:

Working 7 x 10.5 hour days for plant down time plus two hours commute time now through 4/2.  Then after the plant comes back up on 4/3 I figure three or four days of things not working correctly (read as panick attacks from production).  Then I am going over to Western WA 4/7-9 to pick up a pair of audio racks I bought from a friend and visit with my sis and niece and her son.

Apparently my original calculations for the second or third week of April was way off.  C'est la vie.

SFDude

« Reply #115 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:22 am »
Well, poop!  If it comes before the 10th of April I will have to just pass it on to the next person.  :sad:

Working 7 x 10.5 hour days for plant down time plus two hours commute time now through 4/2.  Then after the plant comes back up on 4/3 I figure three or four days of things not working correctly (read as panick attacks from production).  Then I am going over to Western WA 4/7-9 to pick up a pair of audio racks I bought from a friend and visit with my sis and niece and her son.

Apparently my original calculations for the second or third week of April was way off.  C'est la vie.

Jake, since you're right before me, and I'm actually traveling for work this week (I'm in SEA) until Friday, I am hoping maybe there is some flexibility in the schedule. (Pez, not sure if this is possible but maybe bump JakeJ to the end of the list?)

-dave

JakeJ

« Reply #116 on: 20 Mar 2017, 04:41 am »
We mustn't forget Konut and  Brother Love as Pez went to some effort to make the tour efficient.  I defer to the wisdom of the Dispenser of Truth.

charmerci

« Reply #117 on: 21 Mar 2017, 12:15 am »
We mustn't forget Konut and  Brother Love as Pez went to some effort to make the tour efficient.  I defer to the wisdom of the Dispenser of Truth.

I guess I'll be sending it to SF Dude Dave first - though that won't be until around the 30th anyway.

OzarkTom

« Reply #118 on: 21 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm »
After a weekend of listening to the Itube2 I have nothing but praise to say for it. Have tried all of the options for a buffer with 0db gain. Not tried the preamp option nor the buffer with gain. It really provides a "richness" to all of my music which are FLAC files but have hi res and older 70's and 80's material. Very easy listening and musical. For the money I would advocate that it would be a worthwhile addition to most systems. I prefer push/pull Vs studio and SET. 3D matrix in the down or default position and I switch between +6db base vs bass enhancement off depending on the music. Overall a great purchase and a big plus to my system. Clarity, fullness, great dynamic impact. I am very happy with the purchase.

It doesn't run hot but warm and I have chosen to leave it on 24/7. Again, give it a try and I don't think you will be disappointed. A very happy customer

Hey David,

Your review made it on Ifi's facebook page today. :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #119 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:18 am »
Hey David,

Your review made it on Ifi's facebook page today. :thumb:

Welcome back Tom  :thumb: