Paper Wall Diffusers? Has anyone tried this or what do you think?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Sonny,
Brian Pape from Gik can provide some outstanding advice. Cost nothing to have them determine, from your info, what would be the way to go..
Never hurts to ask. I found his advice very helpful and it's free.. You might find what would be the best way to get started..
It's great that you are looking into this. This will make "the" biggest change in improving the sound in your room.
You have some great gear. It deserves a room that allows it to shine!

Sonny

Sonny,
Brian Pape from Gik can provide some outstanding advice. Cost nothing to have them determine, from your info, what would be the way to go..
Never hurts to ask. I found his advice very helpful and it's free.. You might find what would be the best way to get started..
It's great that you are looking into this. This will make "the" biggest change in improving the sound in your room.
You have some great gear. It deserves a room that allows it to shine!

Thanks Bob...I will shoot Brian an email and hopefully connect with him....I will give an update.

But just a little bit of information on the room dimensions, it's 19x13.8x8 feet with about a 3 x 3 x 8 feet at the rear right corner for the door. 

I have some DIY 1" fiberglass board absorbers on the ceiling, at first reflection, wrapped in burlap.  There are four panels of 2x4ft by 1 inch thick.
In the front corners I have modded some Japanese room divider screens and added 1 x 4 ft by 2 inches thick behind the screens as a corner trap.  Also in the front wall is a 70x60 inch window, smack in the middle that has a double layer of honeycombed blinds on it.  To the sides of the window, between the screens and window are 1 each side of the Roomtunes aborbers.  These absorbers are also at first reflection on the sidewalls, each are 1 x 4 feet by about 3 inches...

In the back I have the same screens in the front corners, but with only 1 layer of the fiberglass boards (1 inch thick by 1 feet wide and 4 ft tall)...

So far, the biggest difference I find are the front corner screens and the side first reflections as well as the ceiling absorbers...

I will post some pics for visual perspective...

Bob2

Sonny,
my room is similar, 12X18X8 but I have no windows and only a door. My space is in a dedicated building so many of my needs/considerations are different..
Brian or Glen will be  very helpful!
Keep us posted!

rodge827

Gents,

This might help some on placement: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/calculator4.en.html

I punched in my numbers in inches and put panels accordingly. The sound has change considerably for the the better and the room is still somewhat lively as well.

Chris

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Looks like you're getting good information. One clarification, though, about well depths. If you are going for a QRD design, then the wells aren't random depths, but rather are precisely calculated to deliver diffusion, defined as even scattering in all directions. While things like bookcases can help scatter some sound waves, and are certainly better than a flat, reflective surface, you can't really say that a bookshelf provides actual diffusion.

There are several online QRD calculators to help you determine which sequence/pattern to use and depths of each well to get the results you are looking for.  :thumb:

Agreed with the Quadratic Random Diffusion (QRD) aspects and that QRD is the best design, but anything other than a flat wall does provide a degree of diffusion.  Besides I really did need storage and like 99.9% of rooms, mine (although in proper proportions) is mucked up with other furnishings, making QRD science a bit over the top in comparison.

BTW the link I provided does follow QRD characteristics. 

Sonny

Here are some pictures, Front, Side and Back... :thumb:

Bob2

rodge827, tried to send these via pm but didn't work out.

Cannot say with any authority how well these work. It started as an experiment.
I have two panels so far. Since they are cheap and easy to make I'll make a few more panels and see where that takes it.
Yes they do smell nice. No more moths either....

JWL.GIK

• Industry Participant
    • GIK Acoustics
Agreed with the Quadratic Random Diffusion (QRD) aspects and that QRD is the best design, but anything other than a flat wall does provide a degree of diffusion.  Besides I really did need storage and like 99.9% of rooms, mine (although in proper proportions) is mucked up with other furnishings, making QRD science a bit over the top in comparison.

Mostly agreed, though I would nitpick a bit on one point: Breaking up or scattering sound is NOT quite a synonym for diffusion, which is scattering sound evenly in all directions. I suppose you could say diffusion is a subset of scattering, in that all diffusion is scattering, but not all scattering is diffusion.

Again, we're pretty much nitpicking here, but they are nonetheless important distinctions, and they have different sounds in practice.