Amp/DAC: Emotiva DC-1 vs Schiit Jotunheim with DAC

Audio Refugee

Amp/DAC: Emotiva DC-1 vs Schiit Jotunheim with DAC
« on: 19 Jan 2017, 11:44 pm »
My son turns 15 in February and wants his own stereo. He's in love with my Jolida 202a and Meadowlark Swifts, but I don't have the wallet and he doesn't have the room to duplicate that system.

When I first joined, JLM suggested an inexpensive quality system that includes a pair of JBL LSR305s and an Emotiva DC-1. I picked up the speakers for $100 new on Massdrop. He'll more than likely bounce back and forth between his PC, iPad and iPhone. He's not into CDs or vinyl yet.

Emotiva DC-1 and Schiit Jotunheim with DAC are the same price - $499. Is there a difference in sound quality? The DC-1 has more inputs, but I don't think he'll use that many. The Jotunheim's DAC can be upgraded down the road unlike the DC-1. Any thoughts? And, should I be looking at something else? I'd love to spend a bit less, but I want him to enjoy good sound quality.

zoom25

Re: Amp/DAC: Emotiva DC-1 vs Schiit Jotunheim with DAC
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2017, 12:31 am »
The DC-1 is excellent in terms of its use and I/O. The remote makes the DC-1 suitable for a TV rig or anytime when you don't want to get up. With regards to sound, I think it's great for the price considering all the features it comes with. It pairs well enough with low to mid end gear. It's only with high end gear, where IMO it starts showing it's lack of fidelity.

For example, the Dangerous Source that I have (w/ an upgraded linear PS) thoroughly stomps it in SQ. A much better investment in long term if you or your son want higher end speakers.

A tip about if you go with DC-1. Give Emotiva a call directly and ask if they have any B-stock. You'll get it for cheaper and with full warranty. I think mine was for $399 used. If you can get it for a similar price, then go for it and don't look back. You'll both be satisfied for a long time. Due to it's versatility, it's a unit that will always have a place somewhere in the home.

WC

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:23 am »
The Schiit Fulla 2 is only $100 if you don't need balanced connections. The USB DAC will work with computers and phones and has a big volume knob. Most likely doesn't sound as good as the two you were looking for.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2017, 12:59 pm »
Note that I replaced the DC-1 with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (another compact DAC/preamp/DSP).  The DSPeaker cost $800 on the street versus the $450 show price I paid, but swaps DSP feature for two 1/8 inch headphone jacks (that I don't use).  No contest regarding apparent build quality - the DC-1 wins: heavy/solid remote versus credit card; jacks are nicely spread out versus crammed together; USB is a standard size versus compact.  But the DSPeaker wins on sound quality: more analog; more detailed yet more relaxed.

Schiit gear interests me, but until recently were focused on headphone use.  The upgradability feature in their DACs and no nonsense approach hits my buttons big time.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2017, 12:53 am »
Give a look at the new Emotiva PT-100 DAC/Pre with phono preamp for $299.  It does not have XLR but you can buy RCA-XLR Adpaters for cheap. 

http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/pt-100

Another way to go would be with an Emotiva Big Ego DAC and the Schiitt SYS passive volume control. $49

http://schiit.com/products/sys

I have the Big Ego DAC and headphone amp and it performs way above its price point.  ($219) The reviews are spot on.  I bought one for my son to use in his 2ch rig.  I liked it so much that I bought one for myself to use in a bedroom system.  It plays Hi-Rez to 384, has an analog volume control, controlled by your computer.  It is built like a tank.  It has a warmer, lush midrange with no digital glare or irritation.  Bass is punchy and deep. Adding an AQ jitterbug takes it up a few notches in sound quality.

dwk

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:42 pm »
I'm using the DC-1 in our living room music/tv system direct into an old Kenwood Basics amp. Driving a set of Acoustic Reality speakers I picked up for a song (thanks to Wayne from Boulder Cables). I think it sounds absolutely fantastic for the price. I run an SB Touch into it via USB EDO, and it works very well - the remote is a bit clunky, but allows it to server as a DAC/Pre in a simple system. By far the best 'main room' system we've ever had.

I can't say anything on the headphone quality.

My only slight reservation is in longevity/QC. I've had 2 other Emotiva pieces in the past, and both developed issues. The XDA-2 I have has sporadic problems with the muting relays. The Fusion 8100 receiver I had was good, but for some reason would randomly apply about a -40dB cut making it useless. Fortunately, I was able to trade the 8100 in towards the DC-1 so it kinda worked out.

KR500

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:44 pm »
I purchased the Schitt Bi-Frost DAC and have sent it back for the Uber upgrade and have really been happy with it since day one. The Bifrost was an upgrade from my first DAC , the Musical Fidelity (which still works fine)
The Schitt upgradeability, long warranty with production and service located in the same country I live in was the dealmaker

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:57 pm »
I'm using a DC-1 in my family room hidden behind a Panasonic TV, feeding Emotiva powered speakers.  I wanted to feed the TV sound, Apple TV and Squeezebox Touch, through it and use it as both DAC and preamp.  It's left running 24/7 and it must be about 3 years old.  I have a DAC-DAC and Chord 2Qute in my basement system but never compared the DC-1 with them, consequently can't comment on its comparative sound quality.  All I can comment on positively is its functionality and reliability...if this one dies I would definitely get another one as I can't find an alternate DAC/Preamp combo that gives me this flexibility.

Audio Refugee

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2017, 04:02 am »
This has been a great discussion with great suggestions. Good clues that sent me searching the web. I've had to look closer at the JBL LSR305s. They're powered, have XLR and 6mm cable jacks. No RCAs. They're powered, so I can't use a tube amp like the Schiit Vali 2 because tubes introduce feedback issues. I've dug into the difference between XLR and RCA. Seems there is no real sonic difference between the two; however, XLRs can be run a greater distance than RCA without creating floor noise. Not an issue here because the distances will be less than 6 feet. But, and this seems to be a big but... I've seen it suggested in several places that it's a bad idea to mix connector types i.e. XLR to RCA. Since the 305s don't have RCAs this limits the amp choices to the two I mentioned in the title and OP. None of the other suggestions have XLRs. I didn't know about the Big EGO. That seems to be one of the most cabale DACs I've seen, but the Schiit SYS only has RCAs.

So, all things being equal... I'm leaning towards the Emotiva DC-1 because it has a digital display and a more robust remote. It should be easier for him to operate. If I'm wrong on any of these conclusions... please set me straight.  :thumb:

uncola

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2017, 10:34 am »
I'd definitely get the DC-1 as it has a remote and display, for speakers that's a huge plus.  I'm borrowing my friends jotunheim with no dac to try with headphones, it's definitely a good headphone amp.  Didn't try the preamp outs on it...

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm »
To all,

My DC-1 remote volume control was very touchy, was hard to move half or one dB at a time.  It took training on my part to learn how to use it.

Audio Refugee,

I used XLR to RCA cables for years - no problem.  By design pure XLR cables are don't need shielding (typically not an issue at home unless you have bundles of parallel cables tight together in your audio system. 

uncola,

You're right, until recently Schiit has been very headphone oriented.

Audio Refugee

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:39 pm »
Well heck, JLM... I can't remember the last time I used a parallel cable. I also recall reading a review of the Schiit that said it's volume control was incredibly smooth and adjusted very accurately and easily, but that's with the knob and not the remote. I do like the smaller size of the Schiit.

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:48 pm »
Get the DC-1 and save money in the long run.

The remote takes a day or two to get used to. It's actually quite good at changing volumes. When you press and hold it, the volume changes quite nicely and fast. It's a curve which will take a bit of time, but ends up being perfectly usable without any fuss.

Get some decent well priced balanced cables like Mogami 2549 or Grimm TPR (preferred). I use Pro Audio LA for custom cabling and the prices are quite decent. These are both shielded twister pair and maintain the high end very well. The TPR is slightly more expensive, but highly worth the asking price. Zero fatigue.

Audio Refugee

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2017, 03:17 am »
Where to start. Been watching eBay auctions of Schiit gear. Nuts. People are are paying 80 to 90% of retail for that, so no deals there. Reached out to Emotiva to inquire about B-stock. Got a pretty immediate and terse no. Been reading reviews and and have found some anecdotal, yet somewhat consistent negative Emotiva customer service stories. Maybe they're good. I don't know. I didn't get any warm fuzzies from them. I've already gotten a Schiit Multi bit DAC, so I know what to expect from those no nonsense in yer face doods. I've got to make a decision tomorrow.

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2017, 05:21 am »
Been reading reviews and and have found some anecdotal, yet somewhat consistent negative Emotiva customer service stories. Maybe they're good. I don't know. I didn't get any warm fuzzies from them.

This is true. I have experienced it myself. You can find my comments and interactions on head-fi Emotiva DC-1 thread (which funnily enough was replicated by others users on the Emotiva forum). This was concerning getting a hum in asynchronous mode regardless of input selected. I did so many tests to show and isolate that it was not my equipment or other power issues. I had bought the unit from B-stock and noticed a guy had returned his unit a few days ago because he found a hum in asynchronous mode. So before getting the unit, I told Emotiva to check for this and they assured me that its thoroughly checked.

The day comes and I receive the unit. I switch to asynchronous and the hum comes right away...LOL I think they sold the same unit that another person had returned because of this problem and they didn't take a look at it. Even I had mentioned it prior to shipping. Bloody useless. I mentioned it after I had gotten to the customer service and they kept putting the issue on me. I eventually gave up arguing back over emails and phone.

So I use my DC-1 in synchronous mode and it works great. However, I will not be purchasing anything from Emotiva again. They're nice when it comes to taking the order and your money, but after that...good luck.

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm »
Emotiva is a larger company than Schiit and functions like it.  Compared to decades ago we have much closer connections with companies (internet, cottage industry, more audio shows).  Glad to see Schiit expanding into the in-room market and that now offer a remote control on their new preamps for us old lazy farts.