What do I do with my drivers?

RoadTripper

What do I do with my drivers?
« on: 2 Jan 2017, 08:17 pm »
So, I bought a pair of Visaton B200 drivers back about 8 years ago that I never did anything with. I also bought a pair of the Norh Pyramid speakers a dozen or more years ago. Those Norh speakers are probably the worst sounding pieces of crap I've ever heard. My idea is to rip the drivers out of the Norhs (4 in each speaker) and build something with the 10 drivers, 5 per side.

What should I try? The Norhs are 4 inchers. The Visatons are 8". I am assuming there is nothing particularly bad about the Norh drivers though I of course could be wrong. My goal is for a pair of speakers for a bedroom.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: What do I do with my drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2017, 10:29 pm »
The B200's are high efficiency extended range drivers typically used in open baffles.  From my brief reading, the Norh Pyramid drivers are from Tangbang and also rather high efficiency/extended range, but used in enclosures.  The pyramid concept seems to have been a poor application for these drivers.

Doubtful that they have similar voicing/tonal qualities so would be a big crap shoot to try using in the same speakers or even in the same system of speakers (thinking of some sort of a 5 channel system).  And as they cover roughly the same frequency range I don't see them complementing each other.

If you don't want to sell them, I'd build them into five pair of speakers, one rather large open baffles for the B200's for a large room, and four pair of small single driver speakers for a small room/desktop application (based on the T/S parameters of the drivers assuming you can find the parameters). 

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:19 am »
Thanks, JLM. I was planning initially on not mixing the two together and thought I'd ask.

How about a mini-tower of the Nohr speakers with 4 per side? As for the Visaton, I could try the open baffle idea but putting them in a box appeals to me probably even more for utility reasons. The box dimensions and/or characteristics for the Visatons is something I have no clue about and haven't been able to find that data either.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:33 am »
Use the B200s in a small H baffle (bass only to help the 4" drivers) if you can biamp (sub amp?) and will listen at moderate levels.
How about series/parallel 1.5 way with 3 on the front and one driver firing up (omni).

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:50 am »
Thanks. I kinda need pictures. I am not opposed to open baffle at all. And I'm very curious to get a handle on what OB sounds like. I'll look up H-baffle and hopefully uncover pictures or designs.

What do you think of the mini-tower idea for the 4 inchers?

Also, I'm not afraid of any wood work/cabinetry that might be involved. I have access to a full wood working shop.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2017, 02:03 am »
Thanks. I kinda need pictures. I am not opposed to open baffle at all. And I'm very curious to get a handle on what OB sounds like. I'll look up H-baffle and hopefully uncover pictures or designs.

What do you think of the mini-tower idea for the 4 inchers?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49940.0

How about series/parallel 1.5 way with 3 on the front and one driver firing up (omni).

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:05 pm »
I take it those pictures of the H Frame merely demonstrate the design and don't have to be so close to the floor. Amirite?

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:22 pm »
I owned and used the b200's for about 10 years on OB.

Omega used to build an aperiodic loaded box with the b200 (A8 I think?). 

That is another option.

I have no insights into the Norh drivers, I have never played with those.

Here is an H baffle I used a car sub in, as an experiment.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2017, 10:34 pm »
I take it those pictures of the H Frame merely demonstrate the design and don't have to be so close to the floor. Amirite?

It depends, I suggested using them as bass support for your 4" drivers and close to the floor makes a lot more bass.

When used fullrange I prefer a flat baffle (drivers placed higher like mcgsxr's), but they will need helper woofers.

RoadTripper

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2017, 05:07 am »
So, thanks to you responders I'm getting a better idea of what I can try. The idea of miniature towers with a pair of miniature subs sounds pretty cool. Especially if it works. How much of a frequency range might be possible, I wonder? 50hz and on up?