Seeking Advice - Primer on CD Payers and Best Inexpensive Used CD Players?

vagourmet

Hi All,

Looking to start my kids in HiFi.  Very very entry level.  Wondering what is a really decent bargain for a CD player. 

While I'm at it, I'd like to know how technology has changed for this medium over time.  Specifically, we keep getting better DACs and decoding technology.  That said, does that mean that older CD players before some point in time are really sonically obsolete?  In other words, with regards to CD players, is there some year before which the technology is just too old and therefore not as good sonically?

Best,
vagourmet

Mag

dac/chip technology progressed around 2006 so just about anything built after that is going to sound pretty decent, which I would call mid-fi. So you can purchase a universal blu-ray player in the neighborhood of $100 bucks and its going to sound ok.

IMO digital tech has progressed mainly in dac tech, with the better dac's potentially elevating source and audio chain to hi-fi status as opposed to mid-fi. However the whole audio chain has to be good because at this level you are basically hearing the weakest component in the audio chain and not necessarily the better pricier components.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
I think the Onkyo C-7030 might fit the bill.  It's always on sale for around $160 or so.  Has a digital output so if something new happens with CD's, not likely, or you just want to upgrade you can buy a separate DAC and use the Onkyo as a transport.  Decent chipset, nice sound, and I think kind of handsome looking.  Reliability has been an issue with Onkyo in the past, don't know about lately, but hey, it's $160.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Can you define in $ terms "very very entry level"?

Truth is the best cheapest thing you can do for your kids is get them an audioquest dragonfly  starting at only $100. They can connect that to a computer or even directly to their smart phone with the appropriate connecting cable.  For Apple products they would need the camera connection kit, and for android devices something called a cable to go.

The combo of the dragonfly with a smart phone or tablet or home computer is going to sound much better than any cheap or old CD player you can buy. And your kids will thank you because I doubt any have any interest in CD players,  whereas they are practically  surgically joined to their smart phones and tablets.

I personally ordered five dragonflies to pass around at Christmas.  I think it's the best way to introduce non-audiophiles  to the joys of higher-quality sound reproduction.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Great, am I getting one?  Oooh, I can't wait.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Just pick up a cheap DVD player, or if you live in a good used gear market look on Craig's List, pawn shops, and thrift stores.  Under $100 reliability will be your biggest issue as you'll be buying new plastic or older better stuff, so just plan on it being disposable.  (I assume you have a hand-me-down system without a source.)

A quick check on Audiogon.com revealed 7 used CDP's under $200 (one not working) which shows just how CDP's are yesterday's technology. 

If you want to buy them music and keep up with technology, consider a subscription to Spotify or Tidal.

vagourmet

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate the thoughts on CDP/DAC improvement post 2006.
Appreciate the thoughts on DVD vs CD players too - point well taken.
I am interested in the Onkyo because I like the idea of using it as a transport to an external DAC one day.

On that note, the kids are 8 and 6.5 yrs.  I agree about Dragonflies/Computer Audio but I'm trying to introduce them to different source components, how to trace the flow of the signal through the different processing components, and to understand their functions as well.  They've gotten good at Turntable/records, CDs, Cassettes, and are familiar with computer audio.  All that said, price point for CD/DVD is definitely 200 and below. 

On a final note, their intro stereo is also a chance for Daddy to play and experiment with inexpensive vintage gear.

Again, thanks for all the great thoughts!
vagourmet

macrojack

• Restricted
A simple but worthy consideration:  The less you invest, the less you stand to lose. Your kids are going to move toward streaming just as soon as they can. Buy a used cd player and be aware that Onkyo is not the only brand that offers digital out. All major players will provide that function on most of their models. Old very high end Sony DVD players are bullet proof and have excellent transport function.
Another tip: just ask for a donation from the members here. Surely there are 500 who have an old CD player in the closet they would give away for the price of shipping. Goodwill and Craigslist will also have useful pieces for a few bucks. Yard sales are another possibility and represent a project you can do with them that offers object lessons on several levels. Be creative and stress ethics.

I wish mine were that young sometimes but then I wake up. Waiting around for grandkids at this point.

srb

Just a note on older CD (and DVD) players - some may not be able to play some or all recorded CDR discs, if that is a source possibility.

bummrush

It depends on how many yrs back you want to go . For example. Years ago,i bought quite a few old Creek and Arcam.They were easy to find. Well now i still look all the time. But guess what ,,,they are next to impossible to  find.Also when found they still stand the test of time. So right now,im not much help other then what i said.i guess the good thing is a cd player in the chain kf amp cd player  and speakers, the most significant is amp and speakers. So you can get by wkth a cheaper player,

mvwine

I've had the Onkyo C-7030 for about three years, and had no issues with it whatsoever. I am using digital out to a Scott Nixon DAC, but the unit sounds fine on it's own, too. Accessories4less.com (where I bought mine) had them for $135 refurbished recently.

Folsom

I've had the Onkyo C-7030 for about three years, and had no issues with it whatsoever. I am using digital out to a Scott Nixon DAC, but the unit sounds fine on it's own, too. Accessories4less.com (where I bought mine) had them for $135 refurbished recently.

I would agree with something like this... the transport could be anything with a digital out, and then use a cheap DAC with it. Any cheap outboard DAC will probably spank about any typical CD/DVD player. This would also teach them an extra step in understanding digital. "the CD player reads little bits of information, they look like a staircase, then this little box turns that staircase into a smooth signal so it sounds good to our ears *draws a picture on whiteboard*"

Wind Chaser

I had a number of Cambridge Audio CDPs over the years, and they are probably at the top of the heap when it comes to the best performance among the inexpensive crop. My last unit packed it in about 6 months ago and I replaced it with the Yamaha CD S300 with a built in Burr Brown DAC. Despite the great reviews, as a stand alone unit, I find it unlistenable.

So as I did with the CA CDPs, I use the digital out to feed an old Beresford DAC circa 2009, that in conjunction with a medical isolation transformer (fed through a 300b) competes very favourably against a Lampazator Level 3. Hard to believe, but true.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2016, 08:51 pm by Wind Chaser »

bummrush

Yes the Onyko  looks. For a vrry long time that player was like $125 give or take. But probably still a decent deal.

WGH

On that note, the kids are 8 and 6.5 yrs.

I suggest a Sony DVD player from Walmart for $45. The cheap Sony in my woodshop has lasted for years with daily doses of sawdust.
And when your kids insert a disk covered with peanut butter you will only be out a few bucks.

vagourmet

Thanks to those of you who have piled on!
Folsom, I like the idea of a transport and external DAC for training purposes.  The whiteboard with steps on the curve is a great idea and we can talk about sampling rates and other cool things.  I have a couple older DACs (HRT Music Streamer+, and a little NuForce) that would be perfect except I think they're USB but computer audio will also be part of the education so will probably do that as well.

WGH, Wind Chaser, and Bummrush, thanks to for your thoughts.  I actually have a spare cheap Sony DVD player kicking around so might just could use that.

Again, really excited to be on AC and appreciate everyone's thoughts and guidance.

VAGMT