Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube Click Removers

BruceSB

Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube Click Removers
« on: 1 Dec 2016, 10:26 am »
The Sweet Vinyl sugar cube click removers (SC-1 & SC-2) have passed their crowd funding target in about a day!!
Here is the link.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sweetvinyl-sugarcube#/
I am guessing that there are plenty of people here who share my interest.
There are timeline also included.
By all reports it works a treat.
Anyone here actually heard one in person?
Will continue to follow them with great interest.
Bruce

orthobiz

Re: Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube Click Removers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2016, 03:24 am »
I just bought a beta SC-1. Thanks to your post!!

Paul

BruceSB

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2016, 04:40 am »
I am very pleased that I could help you Paul!!
Make sure you tell us how it goes.
Bruce

KLH007

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:17 am »
I saw and heard the Sugar Cube at RMAF in October. In a demo I didn't hear any degradation, and I also didn't hear the clicks & pops when it was active, very effective unit.

stonedeaf

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:10 am »
heard it at Axpona this spring - was really impressed. Very pleased they are going into production. A Santa Klaus worthy event!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:03 pm »
Not to take anything away from this, but once again, not the first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burwen-Research-TNE-7000A-Professional-Transient-Noise-Eliminator-/141011959389

neo

BruceSB

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2016, 08:51 pm »
Noticed they have reached 200% of their target.
The beta models are the most popular.
The top of the range beta is 'sold out', and the other one is more than half sold.
And still 18 days to go!
Bruce

stonedeaf

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2016, 02:31 am »
There have been several attempts at de-noisieng LP's over the years (Phase-Linear auto collator ( and carver) , dbx which was a encode/decode system ,Burwin (didn't Pioneer have a system at one time ?). The big problem was these things gated or breathed - the noise curtain was constantly going up and down - the Sugar Cube doesn't do that. And yes there have been apps/computer programs to do what the sugar cube does for awhile ( some really great 78rpm Bessie Smith restorations were the first processed recordings I heard.).But the Sugar Cube makes this a pushbutton solution , I heard no gating or breathing from it and for  guys like me - it's a useful tool rather than a exotic solution.

SteveRB

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2016, 10:28 pm »
Looks like a Raspberry Pi is the 'motherboard'. $1500 to have your turntable run through a hobby DIY DAC... Am I missing something?

BruceSB

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm »
The top of the range model, SC-2 (extra $1000) is the one that appeals to me.
I like the ability to see the album art on a screen (or iPad) as well as the ability to digitise a copy to a memory stick (or, maybe, connect an external hard drive?).
Also, there is a low cost option to remove surface noise that could be good.
Bruce

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:56 pm »
I have a modded HW-19 with a big aluminum platter, upgraded SAMA motor, 10.5i tonearm, super board for the tonearm, with periphery ring for warped garage-purchase records. I will use the SC-1 on that rig exclusively!

Can't wait...

Paul

bondmanp

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2017, 05:25 pm »
I am one of the 50 SC-2 beta testers.  Waiting patiently for my SC-, which will not ship until the SC-1s are all shipped.  I am extremely excited about this unit,as I currently use a Marantz pro-sumer CD recorder to digitize vinyl.  Especially stoked about the automatic track division.  I saw and heard this a the Chester Group show in NYC in November of 2016.  Really amazing device.  My first crowdfunding purchase ever.  It is risky, but there was a good a discount, and I really, really want this thing!
« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 06:26 pm by bondmanp »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2017, 05:41 pm »
I don't know.  I am still skeptical over ADPA process.  Can you turn a jerky back into a steak? :scratch:

galyons

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2017, 11:04 pm »
I don't know.  I am still skeptical over ADPA process.  Can you turn a jerky back into a steak? :scratch:

+1!  No. Once digitized, it is digital.  Defeats the entire purpose of analog reproduction.  Want "perfect sound forever!"?  Buy a CD.

Cheers,
Geary

BruceSB

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2017, 02:36 pm »
Guys, its not about 'theories' its about 'hearing'!
Its all about whether you can hear a difference!!
In this case if you hear a difference you don't buy!
I have carefully followed the comments of people who have actually heard this unit and I have not been able to find a single example of anyone being able to hear a difference.
If you are able to point me to such an example please do!
It would be much appreciated.
Hey, being an audiophile is all about hearing the difference!!
Sometimes, and I am speaking to myself as well, we need someone to very gently remind us of this simple fact.
Hope I have been nice & gentle!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy your listening.
Bruce

stonedeaf

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2017, 03:59 am »
I took a couple of very old and pretty noisy Ahmad Jamal LP's down to Axpona with me 3? weeks ago -played 'em thru the production units they were using for demo. I've got a SC-1 and SC-2 on order (SC-1 is within the beta program) - looking forward to these when they ship. There have been the inevitable hold ups/glitch fixings that come with any new company with completely new products. But they are moving along closer to shipping Beta SC-1's soonish.