Moana

finsup

Moana
« on: 26 Nov 2016, 09:35 pm »

Simply a terrific, funny movie that will be easy to watch again and again.  Brilliant animation, lush, vivid, visuals, and music that serves the story very well (gonna get the soundtrack).  Auli’i Cravalho as Moana and Dwayne Johnson rock the voices.

stlrman

Re: Moana
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:09 am »
Thanks for the write up. I'm looking forward to seeing this with my family !! :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2016, 03:35 am »
Yes. Very good. Incredible visuals. Solid story. Fun songs. Makes me want to learn more about polynesian mythology.

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2016, 12:39 pm »
Hope to see it with my Granddaughter  :D

finsup

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2016, 07:22 pm »
I'll be going to see Arrival next Tuesday but will be so tempted to just go into the Moana showing instead, I enjoyed it that much.  Now that I know the story, I can pay more attention to the craft of the movie itself.

It used to be that Pixar had it over Disney in terms of animation and story-telling, but I think that, even though Pixar is now owned by Disney, the Disney movies of late have been more interesting.  Pixar's next release is Cars 3.  My curiosity is peaked only because the trailer makes this 3rd movie seem darker so we'll see.

I do have one Christmas wish for Hollywood:  I am all for empowering young girls, and with Moana, there isn't a suitor on the horizon.  But enough with making males seem like nothing more than dolts.  Move on, please.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2016, 09:04 pm »
I'll be going to see Arrival next Tuesday but will be so tempted to just go into the Moana showing instead, I enjoyed it that much.  Now that I know the story, I can pay more attention to the craft of the movie itself.

It used to be that Pixar had it over Disney in terms of animation and story-telling, but I think that, even though Pixar is now owned by Disney, the Disney movies of late have been more interesting.  Pixar's next release is Cars 3.  My curiosity is peaked only because the trailer makes this 3rd movie seem darker so we'll see.

I do have one Christmas wish for Hollywood:  I am all for empowering young girls, and with Moana, there isn't a suitor on the horizon.  But enough with making males seem like nothing more than dolts.  Move on, please.

When empowered female characters that don't need a suitor become the norm then we can move on. I don't think any of the men in Moana came off as dolts. Unless you identified with the chicken.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2016, 12:12 am »
I thought it was great.  Could be a bit scary for kids younger than 6 (depending on child, of course).  Our 6yo said it wasn't scary, but she was up against me a few times during the movie.  I did not think it was as good as Frozen, as some reviewers have said it was.  But it's also a different story and hard to compare.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2016, 12:13 am »
Speaking of the chicken, was it there solely to provide comic relief?

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2016, 12:25 am »
Speaking of the chicken, was it there solely to provide comic relief?

They definitely could have fleshed out the chicken a little more.

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2016, 01:49 am »
2 Big thumbs up from my 10yr old granddaughter! She wants the soundtrack for Christmas  :D
I thought it was great too!

finsup

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2017, 08:57 pm »
When empowered female characters that don't need a suitor become the norm then we can move on. I don't think any of the men in Moana came off as dolts. Unless you identified with the chicken.

wushuliu - agreed in Moana, the male characters are fine.  I should have been more clear in my writing: I was speaking more in general terms - both the big screen and TV.  I'm pretty sure many male characters for the last decade or more come off as dolts, boors, stupid. It's been my  impression anyway.

Anyway, it is great movie.

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2017, 03:53 pm »
What a great looking Blu-ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: killer movie too!!!