New Dac With 9038

Syrah

New Dac With 9038
« on: 24 Nov 2016, 09:48 pm »
Anyone familiar with this outfit?  Thoughts?

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/x-sabre_pro

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: New Dac With 9038
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2016, 11:25 pm »
My norton av says that is a bad site.

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2016, 12:16 am »
Odd.  My Norton says it's fine.

Some comments on Computer Audiophile.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/matrix-x-sabre-pro-30640/

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2016, 01:05 am »
I can get to the site from computer audiophile.  Very strange.

Shogun

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:21 am »

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2016, 03:42 am »
Looks really interesting

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2016, 08:02 am »
When I bought my Gustard X20u, I had anticipated that affordable 9038 based DACs wouldn't become available until late 2017 and that dual 9028 or 9038 DACs would become available in 2018. [That was purely speculation on my part of course.] I figured I could remain pretty satisfied with my little Gustard until then....now here comes this little puppy a year earlier than I had imagined. Sigh. My next DAC must wait till 2018 or thereabouts. I can't even imagine what wonderful toys will be available then..... :drool:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm »
What about the Benchmark DAC3 or Oppo Sonica DAC (available January 2017)?

Michael, that's why I aim low (don't chase the latest high priced technology) when it comes to DAC's.  When buying DAC's try to get as much or more use/enjoyment out of it as it depreciates and consider yourself satisfied. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2016, 04:15 am »
Trouble with the x-sabre is that it is not mod....able.  The chassis is milled out of one piece aluminum and the circuit board is mounted into it....there is no way to mod it.  You are stuck with the stock everything.  The Gustard allows use of tricked out audio transformers on output (no active circuits).....better clocks (going to try the $400 Pulsar clock on the DAC, suppose to be way better than $25 Crystek clock most everyone uses...including x-sabre), has two power transformers, instead of one smaller one, etc. etc.  The Pro sounds outrageous just with my level one mod.  These new ESS DACs are mucho better than the older ones.  Most stock pieces are very compromised.  The only stock DACs that look interesting to me are the $4000 T&A doing DSD and also the $4000 Lampy doing DSD or PCM via its new R2R board.  I could listen to those two.....but already a level one Gustard Pro ($1300 total) is making me cry!  Cannot wait to do more mods!

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2016, 05:06 pm »
I still spin discs from a very good modded transport, and haven't made the leap to comp audio yet.  Anyone care to comment on the Sound of 16:44 with the Gustard Pro?

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2016, 05:38 pm »
I owned a non-Sabre mini-matrix for awhile. The sound was very good and was less than 500 bucks with remote.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2016, 10:07 pm »
I am listening to the Gustard Pro using coax out of my modded Oppo and mostly listening to CDs (do not yet have a computer source).  It sounded good stock.....nothing special.....but you could hear a lot of info.  With level one mods it sounds really, really great.  However, as good as it is.....and it is so good it made me cry the other day....I still hear the stock output stage (very slightly veiled, dry and compressed).  I will be putting my modded transformers on the output in a couple of weeks.....then there is the Pulsar clock to try......I imagine after all that that I will be crying a river!  As I said the only DACs that I would consider stock are the $4000 units mentioned above...........well, there is one other one to consider.....the Musical Paradise $1000+ DAC (more for better tubes and coupling caps).....with two AKM DACs and only tubes on the output and it looks very well done:

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2016, 03:48 pm »
I am listening to the Gustard Pro using coax out of my modded Oppo and mostly listening to CDs (do not yet have a computer source).  It sounded good stock.....nothing special.....but you could hear a lot of info.  With level one mods it sounds really, really great.  However, as good as it is.....and it is so good it made me cry the other day....I still hear the stock output stage (very slightly veiled, dry and compressed).  I will be putting my modded transformers on the output in a couple of weeks.....then there is the Pulsar clock to try......I imagine after all that that I will be crying a river!  As I said the only DACs that I would consider stock are the $4000 units mentioned above...........well, there is one other one to consider.....the Musical Paradise $1000+ DAC (more for better tubes and coupling caps).....with two AKM DACs and only tubes on the output and it looks very well done:

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

It would be interesting to compare the  specs of the Gustard Pro vs. the Musical Paradise vs Lampy Amber II.

audio.bill

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2016, 04:20 pm »
It would be interesting to compare the  specs of the Gustard Pro vs. the Musical Paradise vs Lampy Amber II.
Even more interesting to compare how they sound!  8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
Even more interesting to compare how they sound!  8)
The specs. would be useful to establish a baseline. Of course, how they sound to you is the most important but it's very difficult organize
an audition of three different DACs at the same time.

JackD

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2016, 06:22 pm »
As they are all sold Internet Direct not really sure how you could audition any of them much less all unless you know someone who owns them.  Specs won't help you with anything other than features.  Just from what I know about the sound from other owners and from the examples of the types I have owned myself the Lampi and the MP are on the other side of the line from the Gustard.  Sort of ying and yang. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2016, 06:57 pm »
As they are all sold Internet Direct not really sure how you could audition any of them much less all unless you know someone who owns them.  Specs won't help you with anything other than features.  Just from what I know about the sound from other owners and from the examples of the types I have owned myself the Lampi and the MP are on the other side of the line from the Gustard.  Sort of ying and yang.
I wouldn't want to own a DAC that was designed without concern for measurements such as distortion and S/N ratio. If it was designed by ear only, there would be no baseline and everyone hears differently. Some might be very sensitive to distortion so if the published spec is rather high in distortion, they could cross it off their list thereby saving time and hassle.

gnostalgick

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2016, 07:07 pm »
Has anyone here even heard the Musical Paradise--regardless of any comparisons to this or that? Or perhaps had experience with a prior model, or the company in general?

JackD

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2016, 07:25 pm »
I've owned the MP-D2 for almost six months.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2016, 07:28 pm »
Has anyone here even heard the Musical Paradise--regardless of any comparisons to this or that? Or perhaps had experience with a prior model, or the company in general?

A friend of mine just ordered one (while it was on sale).  I'd imagine I'll get to hear it very shortly (not sure if he has gotten it yet last exchanged emails two days ago and he told me he ordered it).