anyone autocross?

drphoto

Re: anyone autocross?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2016, 04:05 am »
interesting idea Bob, but Solo is about being quick. However, you have a point, that if's all about fun and 'hooning' a bit without worrying about getting tickert than maybe slippery tires could be fun. More importantly, a built in handicap like this would force one to learn car control quicker, I should think.

But if it proves to be fun, and I become obsessed with lap times, I think the real answer is track specific tires, and one in a smaller than stock size both to lower gear ratio (low speed racing)  not be trashing driver set & save weight where it counts. A set of lightweight rims and some Bridgestone streetable track tires would run about $800 on tire rack. Maybe not the ultimate wheels (Moma brand) but don't have to worry about bending a wheel in a parking lot. Substantial weight savings and 2" smaller diameter for 16" vs stock 18" (23" vs 25" overall)
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2016, 01:25 am by drphoto »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2016, 03:31 am »
Makes sense.
I'd be all about the fun though.
As soon as you concentrate on times, you'll start spending money on tires, suspension, etc..etc...
I'd be all about the "day at the track".

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:32 am »
Yeah I hear you bob. I want to do this to hang out with some like minded people, learn better car control and just have some fun for a change. I always dive too far into hobbies and start making them work. Sometimes it pays off, I started out as hobbiest photographer, and have since been doing for a living for 30 years. But I don't think anyone will pay me to race cars. Or play guitar.

(However, I do make money on the side running live sound for local bands, thanks in part to being an 'audiophile'. My clients think I have a great set of ears. Or maybe just because I'm not half deaf like most of the real sound guys who been doing if forever)

Still, I do have all the parts for sport suspension ready to go under car. Bought 6 month ago before I even thought about Solo. Just have not had the time to install. Not tough to do, but pretty much all day project without lift and if not experienced.

cheers to all