Your Favorite Stereo Amplifier

brk36

Re: Your Favorite Stereo Amplifier
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:15 am »
Well guys, that was an explosion of advice and I thank you all very much for it. I am literally just setting up my first audio system ever hence I am not going from any system to a new system, I am just constructing this system from scratch. With that in mind, I now have a major choice to make in amplification, I honestly don't have the specs on my speakers because I didn't build them. I will ask him for them, but right now I am leaning towards Hafler, the ATI, or a NuPrime.

oem-wheels

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2016, 03:36 am »
Well from the amps you're leaning towards it looks like the one I'm about to mention is a little out of your price range.. I've owned :

Krell Showcase
McCormack DNA-1
Adcom
Parasound A21
Classe CA2100 (current in system)

Love the Classe.. They pop up for sale around the $2000 mark.. 100 watts per, very detailed, neutral..  No modds needed... Just plug and play

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2016, 04:10 am »
Pass Labs X250

AVA Hi Fi DVA-850  monoblocks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:55 am »
Benjamin,

Again, when assembling a new system always start with speakers.  They will reflect your preferred musical genres, acoustical taste, and room so provide the biggest variance to system performance.  The room is the 2nd biggest variable (size, shape, setup, furnishings, isolation).  Then look for amplification.  Power amps serve the speakers (nothing more) and so must be electrically compatible with the speakers (primarily in terms of power, impedance, and damping).  Next is the source (CD, computer, open reel, or vinyl).  Tons of choices with computer options/features constantly changing making this most popular option expensive to heavily invest in technology that could be laughably obsolete in a couple of years.  Finally the pre-amp - buy the features you need, make sure impedances in and out are compatible, then spend what it takes to get the sound you're after.

Most seem to be stuck with substandard rooms (small, square, un-isolated bedrooms or larger shared spaces with poor layouts), so they "over-gear" for the room constraints.  Honestly if the given room sucks why seriously invest in gear?  That's what high quality headphones or desktop setups (with limited bass output) are for. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2016, 05:38 pm »
If 1K fits your budget, take a look at this one. The STM  by DAC. You will not find a negative review anywhere here on the net. It is very transparent, open and detailed. My buddy Rex sold his highly rated 7K integrated amp after he bought one of these.

http://www.cherryamp.com/

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2016, 06:00 pm »
...when assembling a new system always start with speakers.

I disagree. If the system goal is to obtain the best possible sound quality, then there is no hierarchy of components. Everything is equally important.

By merely choosing an amplifier that is "electrically compatible" with your chosen speakers in terms of power, impedance, and damping... chances are that amplifier will severely limit the final result in terms of overall sound quality.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2016, 06:14 pm »
I disagree.

I disagree with your disagree and raise you an agree.  :o

Rocket_Slaving at work today_Ronny

ctsooner

« Reply #27 on: 23 Oct 2016, 07:11 pm »
I disagree with your disagree and raise you an agree.  :o

Rocket_Slaving at work today_Ronny

Everyone has an opinion and they are all personal.  We all have our favorites. When I put systems to together for folks, I just say you must start with a budget.  It's a must.  For a total system you should have everything including cables in your budget (personally, I'd just with the lower end Audioquest or maybe Cardas cables). 

You have to figure out if you want used or new.  I love it when you have a dealer you can trust who knows what goes best together.  We can all tell you what amp we like or what speaker we like or what DAC we like, but some products don't go together and some just have synergy.  Do you have to have remote access to the stereo system?

Some of my favorite systems have started with my trusted Onix integrated amp (actually finally going to sell it as it's just sitting there since my recent upgrades of all my systems).  They pared so nicely with the Vandersteen 1 and 2 series speakers.  Throw in a Codex DAC and you have some components that sound highly musical together and can play any type of music and give you a high end sound for budget costs.  NAD amps always have synergy with the Vandersteen speakers and the new Belles Aria is one of the best integrated amps under 4k (it's about 1800 I think) that seems to have synergy with many speakers that you're probably looking at.  One of the most amazing pieces I've heard recently for the price.  I'd stay far clear of any AVR even though many like the old ones a lot.  They just aren't resolving compared to the newer amps.  Every piece in the system matters as much as the other.  When you go listen, have them change amps, DACs and speakers and you will notice that the speakers will sound very different with each amp.

My personal opinion is that since Vandersteen and a few others make a floor standing speaker that usually goes lower pretty cleanly, you should think about going that route as their footprint is the same as a monitor on a stand.  If you would rather have a monitor, I wouldn't think about putting  a sub with it as it's nearly impossible to integrate a sub properly unless you have an octave overlap.  That's reality and I know many will try and call me out on that, but most designers will privately tell you the same thing. The market is there for sub/sats and they often makes these to sell them because that's what folks want.  Nearly all the time there is lack of coherency when trying to set these up.  Most folks have them turned up so they can 'hear' their expensive subs, but in reality you should NEVER hear the sub per say. 

Again, this is MY personal way of looking at putting a system together.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2016, 07:14 pm »
Buy the amp you need for your purposes now not what may be in the future. If you end up doing a different system in the future the associated gear / speakers / etc may prefer a totally different amp than what you'd use for home theater. E.g. A tube amp.

If you're looking for multichannel amplification for home theater, I'd recommend ATI or Parasound. What's more important is that the front  three channels have the most power and preferrably similar amplification as most sound will come from there and much less so from the rear channels. So if there's a need / desire to timbre match the sound, the front three channels are the most critical.

As for 5 vs 3+2 channels, I wouldn't sweat that so much. When you get to 7 or more channels it be becomes more of an issue to run one or more more amps as 7 channel amps get large and heavy and sometimes prefer a 20amp line.

Personally I'd rethink the whole thing and just go for a good 5 channel amp.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2016, 08:45 pm »

Odessy makes very good amps. He will not build one until he talks to you about your needs.

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

drphoto

« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:22 pm »
second on the Odyssey, especially for the money. BTW: I own a pair of monos.

Always liked anything by Pass Labs and Threshold. Maybe one of the best rigs I ever heard was a pair of VMPS RM40s driven by all Threshold gear. (don't remember front end) Simply stunning.

Speaking of Pass Labs, the Adcom GFA-555 designed by Nelson was a damn good amp, especially considering the price. (had a pair driving Maggies back in the late 80s)

always wanted to try Monarchy. Always get great reviews.

best of luck.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:12 am »
deleted

ctsooner

« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2016, 07:45 pm »
Another thought is that you can get a used or even demo Ayre AX7e integrated that is class A rated and for around 2k is outstanding.  It's not the most powerful but has high current and can drive most speakers in a small to mid size room.  IT has video pass through and or the price is about as good as it gets.  I know Audio Connections in Verona, NJ still has a demo that he's selling and I've seen a few others offered.  They just stopped production a couple of months ago.

cujobob

« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2016, 08:36 pm »
I disagree. If the system goal is to obtain the best possible sound quality, then there is no hierarchy of components. Everything is equally important.

By merely choosing an amplifier that is "electrically compatible" with your chosen speakers in terms of power, impedance, and damping... chances are that amplifier will severely limit the final result in terms of overall sound quality.

Totally disagree. Speakers do the bulk of the work. If you get a pair of great speakers that are easy to drive, then you won't need an extremely expensive or high wattage amplifier. By limiting the requirements needed of your amplifier, you not only save money on amplification but also give it a larger group of amplifiers that can be used successfully. Sources get outdated quickly.

jtsnead

« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2016, 08:49 pm »
You should look at Nord amps, a little more than your budget though

http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products

ctsooner

« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:32 pm »
I have read and reread this thread.  There are tons of these same threads on every forum out there.  What is the best ????.  Which first ????? 

We all have opinions and none are wrong as they work for us.  I will say that the used market is fueled by these threads as folks buy what is highly rated or most discussed on the boards.  We are all guilty of posting about what we own since that's what we know best.  Many of us are lucky and get out to audition new stuff all the time. I have always said have the end game in mind and buy a system....  Yes, that's what I preach and many others will disagree and that's cool too, but I was speaking with a few the last few days about this very thread.  Each and ever store owner and manufactuer say the same thing, that you should buy with a system in mind.  Ask what the folks who build their products use to run them.  After thinking about things, I decided on speakers first and then built around that.  It took a few years to get to where I am right now and I may not be through.  I decided on Vandersteen Treo's as I loved how they sounded (Vandersteen wasn't even in my thought process until I was kind of forced to audition them).  Then I took my time and ended up with a smaller Ayre integrated to start with.  I knew that I would be able to sell it and upgrade later on, but I heard the Treo's with the AX7e and it just sounded great, although it wasn't what I wanted long term.  I then did research and listened to so many DACs' and turn tables.  I bought the Basis 1400 and Rhea phone stage ....Benz Glider LO cartridge.  I had Vinny VU custom make one of his top bases for the TT set up and I love it, but will probably sell all my analog soon as I have MS and just don't love getting up to change albums anymore.  The sound was spectacular at this point.  Then I got some more money and was able to afford the Ayre AX5 Twenty which is world class.  I auditioned well over 20 integrated's before closing the Ayre though.  I had to as there are some great components out there in all price points. I always audition well over my price point to know what my personal reference line is and go from there.  I travel a ton, so I was able to visit at the Vandersteen dealers I could and hear everything from D'agastino, to NAD to Aryre to Krell to Boulder to Rowland and Classe and MAC.  In the end the Ayre just sounded right.  Neither tube nor SS.  I was always a tube guy and just didn't want to go there anymore as I can't keep checking and changing tubes as needed.  Again, the MS, lol.  Amplification makes as much a difference as speakers or anything else.  Listening as much in so many systems really showed that to be so true.  I think most skimp on amps and they really shouldn't .  That's why I feel so strongly that listening as a system means sooo much and it's not just speakers first per say.  Then I got the Empirical Audio DAC and loved it.  First time I"ve ever purchased a product that I hadn't heard first.  Scared the dickens out of me.  REAlly did, but it was awesome.  I just let it go for the Ayre QX5 twenty though and I'm so happy I did as this is as good as nearly every DAC I've heard.  I haven't heard the Trinity Ref or newest DCS stack in the last 6 month's so I can't say it's best, lol.  It's really special though and shows just how far digital has come in such a short time. 

I was able to get top Audioquest cables when I got my speakers, so I am fortunate, however I would also do cables last.  They make a difference, but shouldn't make nearly as big a difference as a component upgrade.  JMHO.  The AQ's are just very neutral at all price points and are still a good value compared to other lines I feel.  I've never heard them sound badly in any system.  I can't say the same for some other larger and smaller cable companies.  Again, ask what cables the speakers are used for voicing.  IT will be a good starting point at least. Any good dealer will swap put cables in their various systems and should know what goes best and what is best at various price points.  That's their job and if they can't do that, they need help, lol.  Now it's time for me to upgrade my server from the Mac Mini that was rebuilt by Steven Nugent of Empirical. 

I have purchased as a system, but also with the future in mind as my early budget wasnt' what my final budget was going to be.  I knew what I'd purchase and sell overtime, and I made sure that what I bought in the beginning sounded great with what I would buy later.  Now I'm selling the Treo's as I want the Quatro's.  I knew eventually I wanted to get there and I knew the Ayre AX5 Twenty crushes it on the Quatro CT's, so that was a no brainer.

How have you all purchased what you own so far?  Similar path or totally different?   

hifinutt

« Reply #36 on: 9 Apr 2017, 04:28 am »
I rather love the msb s200 . its remote control and sounds very good . I have used for a number of years with various pre amps and its excellent

http://www.stereophile.com/content/msb#dqGkGaDo5UP94HuO.97

willswing

« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2017, 06:21 am »
Went from a Peachtree Nova 220 SE, to a pre and pro version of this, and never going back.
Websites from Sweden...

Pre: http://www.holographicaudio.com/products/2/pretwentyfive-remote.html

Pro: http://valutronic.se/CM100-montering.html

Archguy

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:50 am »

Oh yeah   I guess it needs new caps by now and who knows what else, but yeah.  OP can always do like I do and buy everything on looks  8)

artur9

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2017, 02:13 am »
I've owned a Krell integrated, Parasound, Belles and own Odyssey Stratos monos.  My favorite is the Belles 150 hotrod.