Your Favorite Stereo Amplifier

brk36

Your Favorite Stereo Amplifier
« on: 11 Oct 2016, 04:37 am »
I have recently decided with some help from an audio suave friend that I might not want to hook up my surround sound system using a 5 channel amplifier but instead hook it up with a stereo amplifier and a separate 3 channel amplifier in case I decide to divide the system between rooms later. To that line of thinking what is your personal favorite stereo amplifier, why, and what is it's average cost used on ebay or an audio site? Thanks!

Benjamin 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Your Favorite Stereo Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2016, 09:07 am »
What is the rest of the system? 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:04 pm »
Realize that you can't "split" your HT system without leaving it lacking vital components.  Perhaps the word "split" sells better domestically?  So what you're thinking of is developing a separate audio system in another room.  In that case I'd leave your system as is and wait on the amp until you make that decision.  Recommend shopping for audio-only speakers then find an amp to match those speakers/room when the time comes.  Keep in mind that with a separate audio system lots of options exist.  One quality/inexpensive one is to use your laptop to feed a DAC/preamp to feed active or powered speakers.  Example: your laptop via USB to $500/pair Vanatoo speakers (with built-in DAC/preamp). 

Some folks with higher-end combination audio-A/V systems do use separate two and three channel amps.  Typically they have full range speakers for left/right front channels with a stereo amp and use a fancy control center/signal processor.  But blending the sound with the center channel can be a challenge if you don't have the same manufacturer/model line of speakers.  And it's also a challenge to find those left/right front speakers that are optimized for both audio and HT uses.  Another issue to consider include matching sound of the HT and stereo amps.  Except for running a slightly cleaner signal path for audio, it makes you wonder why you should go separate if the sound of the amps should remain similar.   :scratch:

And in general audio gear has gotten cheaper and better over the years so no need to buy ahead.  This sounds more like a itch than a practical thought (speaking from experience, currently owning 4 pair of speakers for two systems  :oops: ). 

brk36

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:33 pm »
The rest of the system is as follows, I will admit, I went WAY overboard when I had this surround sound system commissioned hence why I think I will have to split the system up.

Front channels: 1 tweeter, 2 6in. mid ranges, 1 12in subwoofer in a 4.17 cubic feet box (roughly coffin size lol)
Rear channels: 1 tweeter, 2 6 in mid ranges, 1 7in subwoofer in a 3.75 cubic feet box
Center channel: 1 metal domed tweeter, 2 6in mid ranges
2 Separate 12 in. subwoofers in 3.25 cubic feet boxes
Total of 7 cabinets

So, if you're keeping track that is a total of 5 tweeters, 10 6in mid ranges, 2 7in subwoofers, and 4 12in. subwoofers. All of them nice high quality brands. My fear is, 6 subs in one room might be intolerable, if it is I want to be able to cart 3 of these monster cabinets to another room and be able to plug in and go.

The speakers were custom built by a guy who use to work with Rick Craig at Selah Audio when he first started the business.
I have a Anthem AVM 30 (Factory Upgraded) Pre Amp and a separate 1000 watt amplifier just to run the subwoofers, now I just need an amplifier (or two) to power to the rest of the system.

Randy Myers

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2016, 03:04 pm »
I use my system for pure 2-channel music only listening.  I look for clarity and sound stage imagining.  I also have a preference for the "European" sound, accurate but very unforgiving to components that are lacking.  This requires "guts' in an amplifier.  Flash and big numbers are not at all important to me.

With all of this said I am very pleased with my current amplifier which a SST Son of Ampzilla II.  This is the fairly recently released re-designed line which was co-engineered by EJ Sarmento (Wyred 4 Sound fame, and OEM producer for several lines including work for PS Audio, etc.) and the legendary James Bongiorno prior to James death.  EJ and crew had purchased SST during their collaboration and is keeping true to James designs.

The new Ampzilla's are fantastic and well worth consideration.  I believe the current pricing is about $4200 for "The Son".

clpetersen

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2016, 05:34 pm »
Realize that you can't "split" your HT system without leaving it lacking vital components.  Perhaps the word "split" sells better domestically?  So what you're thinking of is developing a separate audio system in another room.  In that case I'd leave your system as is and wait on the amp until you make that decision.  Recommend shopping for audio-only speakers then find an amp to match those speakers/room when the time comes.  Keep in mind that with a separate audio system lots of options exist.  One quality/inexpensive one is to use your laptop to feed a DAC/preamp to feed active or powered speakers.  Example: your laptop via USB to $500/pair Vanatoo speakers (with built-in DAC/preamp). 

Some folks with higher-end combination audio-A/V systems do use separate two and three channel amps.  Typically they have full range speakers for left/right front channels with a stereo amp and use a fancy control center/signal processor.  But blending the sound with the center channel can be a challenge if you don't have the same manufacturer/model line of speakers.  And it's also a challenge to find those left/right front speakers that are optimized for both audio and HT uses.  Another issue to consider include matching sound of the HT and stereo amps.  Except for running a slightly cleaner signal path for audio, it makes you wonder why you should go separate if the sound of the amps should remain similar.   :scratch:

And in general audio gear has gotten cheaper and better over the years so no need to buy ahead.  This sounds more like a itch than a practical thought (speaking from experience, currently owning 4 pair of speakers for two systems  :oops: ).

I am considering the same type of system (combined). Currently we have a separate media room (not large enough to be considered a 'theater') for video only (3.2 configuration; very happy with this set-up), and a dedicated two channel system in another space. We are contemplating a move, where it would be possible to have a single dedicated space for both. Two channel is still very important however. One amplifier I have considered is an ATI which offers a modular set-up - anywhere from 2-7 channels, in a variety of designs and power levels. I use a 2-channel ATI right now and am very happy with this choice.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2016, 10:35 pm »
I have a real soft spot for the big Sansui receivers from years gone by.  I have the G8000 playing right now.  Great big power supply anchored by a massive toroidal transformer.  With 120W available to drive my 8" two-way monitors, I have all the SPL I need.  Clean, clear, quiet and beautiful to look at.

I recently had all the electrolytic caps replaced and the lights fitted with LEDs.  It was completely worth it.

Here's a decent picture of one from the web.  I can't seem to get a decent shot of mine.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2016, 11:42 pm »
After many years and many more amps, I recently found a wonderful sounding amp for relatively cheap. I was given a Hafler P225 by a member here, recapped it thought it sounded great. I then purchased one of John Hillig's upgrade kits from Musical Concepts and now it's going to be my amp for a while.
Not much to look at but I love it's warm, inviting sound. I've read opinions both glowing and not so glowing so I guess it's a matter of taste.
Just for the heck of it I bought a working Hafler P230 on ebay with the intent of simply recapping it to compare against the modded P225. The P230 sounds great to me also. I could live with either amp.

brk36

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2016, 01:59 am »
Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Few more questions:

4 grand is wayyyy outside of my price range so no Son of Ampzilla for me :/

Sansui is a brand I know, I have heard good things, is 125 watts really going to be enough to power a 3 way speaker?

I have searched for an ATI at a reasonable price, meanwhile people keep asking 650 dollars for a 1505 or 600 dollars for an 1802.

Hafler is a new brand to me, I have seen they're super reasonable in terms of price and have really good reviews. Have you had any issues with your units? I always worry about buying a vintage amplifier because of repairs

I guess the real question is how much power do I really need in my front channels?

Thanks guys

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2016, 02:12 am »

Sansui is a brand I know, I have heard good things, is 125 watts really going to be enough to power a 3 way speaker?

I have searched for an ATI at a reasonable price, meanwhile people keep asking 650 dollars for a 1505 or 600 dollars for an 1802.

Hafler is a new brand to me, I have seen they're super reasonable in terms of price and have really good reviews. Have you had any issues with your units? I always worry about buying a vintage amplifier because of repairs

I guess the real question is how much power do I really need in my front channels?

Thanks guys

125W is plenty if your speakers have sensitivity near 90dB

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:23 am »

That's a nice looking piece. Brings back memories from my youth.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2016, 11:23 am »
OK brk36, so telling us that you have lots of gear doesn't help us to give advice. We can't know if a vintage Sansui receiver be an upgrade if you don't tell us what pre/power/integrated amp you're currently using.  Again, if you're looking at receivers I recommend you simply hold off and put your money into buying a whole new audio system when you decide to expand.  It seems like you and your friend are suffering from gear lust without a reasonable plan in mind.

First, without knowing your gear/room I'm not sure you'd gain any significant/immediate benefit from adding a two channel amp.  Second, as mentioned when you do set up an audio system in another room you'll need a whole system and it's best to pick speakers then find a complementary amp, not the other way around.  Third, if you do go through with this you'll probably be going back to your current gear when you set up the audio system.  Fourth, a new two channel amp probably won't match your current amp sonically or be the ideal fit in an audio system as audio and HT priorities differ.

Without providing your speaker specifications (frequency response, efficiency, power handling rating); room size; and listening habits (how loud do you listen, what type of music would you be listening to) it's impossible to know how much power you might need.  And there's so much more to consider when picking out an amp that we haven't even touched on yet.

To Pete, timind, and Windy:  you're not helping, you're only confusing/distracting brk36. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm »
Yes, but he never asked for help in picking out an amplifier, he asked what is your favorite amplifier.  Thus we're under no obligation to help him pick one, rather just to list our favorites.  I suppose one could infer that he's asking for our help, and that answers to that end would be welcome, so we can really answer in any fashion deemed appropriate by the poster.

However in an effort to be helpful I'd suggest the NuPrime MCH-38 amp that John Casler is raving about.  5 channel amp that bridges into a three channel, fabulous for either home theater or stereo listening.  He says it's the best amp he's ever heard.

Randy Myers

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2016, 12:23 pm »
I hear that the NuPrime are very nice.  Never tried one however.  In the Class D realm, Wyred 4 Sound always get excellent ratings.

About Hafler, back in the day I built several f their kit amplifiers.  They were excellent amplifiers at a value!  I am not up to date as to how they are now, but I do know that David Hafler had sold the company.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2016, 01:39 pm »

Thanks guys

The Hafler amps I'm referring to are the older D220 series. The amps I own are the professional versions of the D220 amps. The difference being the pro versions have either XLR inputs or 1/4 inch RCA plug inputs. The pro versions also have volume controls on the back.

As part of the mods I did to my amps I replaced the input connectors with standard RCA jacks I replaced the speaker terminals with better quality binding posts. I also bypassed the volume pots as well as the speaker protection fuses.

My P230 amp is absolutely dead quiet. In fact, after finishing all the mods and setting the DC offset and bias I hooked it up to my speakers and turned it on. It was so quiet I was afraid it wasn't working until the music emerged.

As for reliability, these amps are very well built, not pretty, but very rugged. And the design is fairly simple so not a lot of reason to worry about break down under normal operating conditions. If you are into DIY at all, these make for a fun and simple project to bring back to specs. And they sound darn good for the investment IMO.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2016, 05:15 pm »
Favourite Stereo Amplifiers? Well, since you asked ...

Luxman M-4000
Luxman 5M21
Threshold 400A
Bryston 2BSST
Sonic Frontiers Power2

Currently own, use and like very much:
Anthem Amp1

Those who recognize these will notice there are no 21st century designs. I haven't liked most of the ones I've heard that I can afford, and the ones I do like, I can't afford.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2016, 05:33 pm »
I have enjoyed a number of amps over the years, both power and integrated.

Sugden A28B - awesome integrated, sold only as I wanted remote control - 45wpc - updated May 2017 - bought a used Sugden P28 and had a local tech replace caps and RCA inputs - back to the good old British hand built stuff for me!
Yamaha A-S500 - surprisingly good integrated - 85wpc
Crown XLS 1500 - solid power amp, drove Maggies and Totems really well - 350wpc
Monarchy SM70-Pro - good little power amp that delivers Class A goodness - 25wpc
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017, 02:41 pm by mcgsxr »

srb

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2016, 06:24 pm »
However in an effort to be helpful I'd suggest the NuPrime MCH-38 amp that John Casler is raving about.  5 channel amp that bridges into a three channel, fabulous for either home theater or stereo listening.

Actually an 8-channel amplifier with 4 stereo modules that can be configured as

8 channels (all set to stereo)
7 channels (1 set to mono, 3 set to stereo)
6 channels (2 set to mono, 2 set to stereo)
5 channels (3 set to mono, 1 set to stereo)
4 channels (all set to mono)

zoom25

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2016, 06:34 pm »
Really like the top Luxman amps.

For Class D, I was surprised with how far they've come as of late. The Anaview AMS series used along with Amphion sound quite wonderful.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:12 am »
Actually an 8-channel amplifier with 4 stereo modules that can be configured as

8 channels (all set to stereo)
7 channels (1 set to mono, 3 set to stereo)
6 channels (2 set to mono, 2 set to stereo)
5 channels (3 set to mono, 1 set to stereo)
4 channels (all set to mono)

I really need to look things up rather than go by memory, thanks.  But I was in the ballpark, a multichannel amp that takes to bridging very well.  I don't have this amp, but I do have their headphone amp and it's a peach for $695.  While the MCP-38 is not inexpensive, it's an attainable price.  IMHO it kinda fits the op pretty well.  There's one for sale here on the trading post at $2500.