New Mod Marantz SA8005 with Dig. IN & OUT & DSD via USB?

modwright

Hi, we do not currently have a mod for this player but it DOES appear to be a good option!

Many people are looking for a good CD transport, player and DAC for 2CH Audio, capable of DSD, SACD and Hi-Rez.  The Oppo's are fantastic because they are universal, but not everyone needs or wants video for their 2CH system. 
A customer just emailed me about the possibility of modifying the Marantz SA8005 player.  My reply follows:

"The fact that this plays SACD AND has a digital input and digital output, interests me greatly.  It also plays DSD1 and DSD2 via USB input, which is very important.

I would seriously considering modifying this unit if I found that there was enough interest. I really don't have time to do one-off custom mods right now, but I am looking for a new player to develop a fantastic mod for and the Marantz SA8005 may be a very good candidate!"

Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SA8005/Marantz-SA8005.html?tp=197

$1200
DSD1 and DSD2 via USB input.
Crystal DAC
Dig. inputs and Dig. outputs.
CD, SACD, DSD and Hi-Rez playback.
2CH Audio Only.

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks,

Dan

Phil A

Re: New Mod Marantz SA8005 with Dig. IN & OUT & DSD via USB?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2016, 06:44 pm »
The only caveat I have is that with CES in about 3.5 months, will they introduce an 8006?

Frisco

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2016, 07:13 pm »
Why does Marantz only sell the black version in the US?   :cry:   ... does it come in silver/champagne in Asia/Europe?

Phil A

Frisco

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2016, 07:30 pm »
Thanks Phil...if it should ever be available in Silver and if Dan makes a mod for it...I'll be interested. Tube/SS or both Dan? 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2016, 07:41 pm »
Marantz also has a CD6006, which is a CD only player for $500. It must be relatively new as they still list a CD6005 for the same price and CD5005 for $100 less.

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm »
Finally the SA8005 gets some love!

I've been using one as my main cd player / dac  (5% : 95%) for a few years. Nice sounding unit and reliable for me.

I'm currently using it with three raspberry Pis attached - coax (PiCorePlayer), USB (HQPlayer) and optical (Moode), so the Marantz makes a great digital hub as well as cd and sacd player.

Good Luck!

-Mike

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:00 am »
Hi guys, already ordered one today, will be here tomorrow.

The plan is three tiers of upgrades, starting at $500, an interim SS mod and then tube mods at $2K+.

I will start with the stock unit and get to know it and plan out the mod steps and options.

If there IS a 8006 model, then the mods will still apply and we will just move forward.  There are A LOT of them out there I believe, based on the number of sellers, its Stereophile Recommended rating and the loyal following that Marantz has, for quality products.

Not sure how this one sneaked past me, but it was the inclusion of digital output AND input, including USB for DSD and Hi-Rez that really caught my attention!

More soon!

Finally time to get the mod rubber on the road!!!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:07 am »
I might respectfully suggest some research into Phil A's caveat in reply post #1.  It would be really unfortunate to put a bunch of work into modding a soon to be superseded player.  Marantz has been known to make some substantial changes in new models, and this one has been around for awhile

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2016, 12:11 am »
OK, I appreciate that input.