Need a New Camera - Suggestions?

Todd Willhoit

Need a New Camera - Suggestions?
« on: 11 Sep 2016, 04:21 am »
I accidentally removed the battery from our trusty Canon PowerShot S110 while the power was on. The lens is stuck out. I get an error message and cannot get the lens to retract with a fresh charge or factory reset.

So...I am looking for suggestions for a new camera. Something similar in form and function would be nice as my wife likes to toss it in her purse. We have had four Canon P&S cameras over the years so I may be partial to the brand.

Any ideas, thinks to look/lookout for?

Todd

SET Man

Re: Need a New Camera - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2016, 03:13 pm »
Hey!

I find it weird that the lens would get stuck that way.

Anyway... What's your budget? If you and your wife like Canon than you could get another Canon, but personally I don't think you should limited yourself to Canon. I'd check out Sony and also Panasonic. I don't own one but it would be on top of my list if I were looking for a small P&S digicam...  do check out Sony RX100 III or IV if your budget allowed.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2016, 05:57 pm »
As my first digital cam I choose a Nikon D3200, price was in offer and lots of good review, more effective 24mp, real CMOS sensor(no software).
Only prob I dont liked the fragile mini HDMI jack to transfer images.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d3200

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:11 pm »
As my first digital cam I choose a Nikon D3200...

Not exactly something similar in form to a small P&S / that the wife can toss in her purse.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:14 pm »
Not exactly something similar in form to a small P&S / that the wife can toss in her purse.
I sure ladies bags are huge currently, it have auto shot option.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2016, 07:46 pm »
    I find it weird that the lens would get stuck that way.

Me too.  I had done this previously and had no issue.

Yep.  ;-)

I'm not a MP junkie either.  As far as I am concerned, the 3.2MP A70 we owned 13 years ago had the best picture quality.  Everybody hypes the MP but I've never printed a picture larger than 8x10.  I would rather have good glass.

I bought a Panasonic several years ago and exchanged it, for a now unknown reason, for the S110 Canon. Maybe the Canons are just familiar...  Has anyone switched brands and felt like they got a better value?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2016, 10:13 pm »
I'd recommend a Cannon or Nikon SLR. Isn't time you graduated? They really aren't that hard to use, and what you see is what you get. Not so with a P&S.

Doc

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:18 am »
Photograph isn't my hobby.  I have a D90.  I still haven't managed to fit it in my pocket. 

That is why I am interested in current recommendations for P&S cameras.

If I remember correctly the S110 was around $300.  I would like to keep it in that ballpark.  Willing to spend a little more if there is a significant advantage.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2016, 02:45 am by Todd Willhoit »

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:47 am »
Sony's $1k P&S's are as good as most people's DSLR's, if not better in many cases. They're special. I'd also consider a Fuju X100T because it's got a phenomenal lens. In order to get a lens like that otherwise you'd be looking at a Leica and it would cost 6x as much as the camera does, with no body... unless you bought used, then maybe only 4x :lol: .

You can buy an old Canon 5D Mk II for only $1k now, but you'll need to spend some dough on a lens/lenses that are worth it.

Sony's older P&S, still very nice, is down to $500~ new, of the RX100 family (1st gen). I'd take this opportunity over a Canon or such at $300, for sure. Otherwise the NEX3 is around $300 and is an excellent performer, it just isn't for small pockets. The lenses on the Sony's are very good. Other things in that price range tend to have dumpy lenses. The Canon's were not too bad, until Sony started rolling stuff out that just blew them out of the water.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2016, 10:23 am »
I'm surprised no-one has suggested that you use your phone.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:22 pm »
Some shots in the Picture Of The Day thread have me interested in the RX100.  I have never handled one and need to wander to the store to check it out.  Someone on another thread mentioned the Ricoh GR II.  I'm interested to check it out too, if only because I am not familiar with the brand.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested that you use your phone.
Me too.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:20 pm »
The LG G5 has the best smartphone camera out right now I believe.

But I'd still prefer to have a normal camera. I use my phone often and the results are mixed at times. Some shots are just awesome, others it just can't seem to get it right. I might be able to get better shots with some work, but a good camera like the Sony RX100 would've probably done it the first time, not the 10th.

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:30 pm »
The LG G5 has the best smartphone camera out right now I believe.

But I'd still prefer to have a normal camera. I use my phone often and the results are mixed at times. Some shots are just awesome, others it just can't seem to get it right. I might be able to get better shots with some work, but a good camera like the Sony RX100 would've probably done it the first time, not the 10th.

I have the LG G5 and the camera(s) are great.  There are two lenses/sensors for normal and wide angle, the controls are all on the home screen, and with the Camera battery back you have a physical shutter button and scroll wheel.  It is far quicker than my GF's Samsung Note 5.  That being said, I also own a Fujifilm X10.  It is a more traditional camera with a fast zoom lens, 2/3 inch sensor, made of metal, and turns on almost instantly.  There is no comparison.  As good as camera phones are, they are not cameras.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2016, 08:07 pm »
Some shots in the Picture Of The Day thread have me interested in the RX100.  I have never handled one and need to wander to the store to check it out.  Someone on another thread mentioned the Ricoh GR II.  I'm interested to check it out too, if only because I am not familiar with the brand.
Me too.
The Ricoh GR and GRII are both outstanding cameras, and are the smallest APS-C size sensor cameras in the world—even thinner than the Sony RX100 when the lenses are retracted. They are not suitable for casual shooters, though, I think.
•You can't toss them in a bag or pocket and not have dust-on-sensor concerns.
•The GRII is $700 and used GRs go for a surprising amount of money and are in short supply.
•The menus could be intimidating to the casual shooter, even though gratifyingly complete to the pro.
•The lens is wide angle only, like most smart phones

The GR series is more of a pro level but pocketable camera; the only such which has a super wide angle lens available (21mm). Again, what it does it does very well—its images are sharp from corner to corner, even at full aperture, and have been compared to Leicas—but it really is not a point and shoot equivalent to the Canon with the stuck lens.

mh720wake

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2016, 01:09 am »
I really dislike "SONY" as a brand , I still would recommend any version of the RX100, which I've purchased a few for parents and family ,GREAT pocketable shooter ,even the older origanel or 2 then price would open up to other brands.

chip

weatherman1

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2016, 05:49 pm »
Just purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 as my PS.  So far I'm impressed with the build,lens(Zeiss 24mm to 720mm),sensor(18mp),macro 3cm, vid 1080p, and stabilization.  I shot the moon, hand held, and could see crater definition.  I'm old (73) and don't want to lug my Canon equipment around anymore and I think I've found a solution.  Like audio I'll be happy until someone comes up with a better solution.  Oh, did I mention it cost me $279.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2016, 06:18 pm »
Just purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 as my PS.  So far I'm impressed with the build,lens(Zeiss 24mm to 720mm),sensor(18mp),macro 3cm, vid 1080p, and stabilization.  I shot the moon, hand held, and could see crater definition.  I'm old (73) and don't want to lug my Canon equipment around anymore and I think I've found a solution.  Like audio I'll be happy until someone comes up with a better solution.  Oh, did I mention it cost me $279.
This sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2016, 12:07 am »
I'm still looking...  Does anyone have any opinions about the Canon G7X Mark II?

newzooreview

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2016, 12:58 am »
I'm still looking...  Does anyone have any opinions about the Canon G7X Mark II?

You've been using Canon cameras for years and like them. The G7X Mark II will be a lot of fun. Better than than the S110 that died, but familiar in design and operation. Go for it. Enjoy it. The Sony RX100 cameras are terrific, but are you going to shoot test scenes and pixel peep? An SLR is more versatile and can give you better objective quality with big enlargements, but it's not a "toss in your purse camera." The G7X MkII is well regarded, versatile, compact and $300 cheaper than the Sony RX100 MkIV. If money is irrelevant, go for the Sony. If you want compact, best quality, and versatility: the new Fuji XT-2 hands down. But that's a big leap from an S110. The GX7 will be familiar, on par with the best in category, and a lot of fun. Go for it!