Cold air intakes and front strut sway bar/brace

rif

• Not a cowboy
Cold air intakes and front strut sway bar/brace
« on: 8 Sep 2016, 08:11 pm »
Before I jump down the rabbit hole and register at an enthusiasts site, i thought I'd ask you guys.

What brands of cold air intake kits and front strut bars would you recommend?  I have a 2008 Nissan Maxima (standard V6, 3.5L).  No other mods are on the car.  Its my daily driver, absolutely no racing.  I'm looking for something (CAI) to give me a little bump in passing acceleration  (and installing one sounds like a good intro into the car world).

I've read up on k&n, afe, injen, stillen, nismo (no longer made, ugh).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Cold air intakes and front strut sway bar/brace
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2016, 09:40 pm »
Before I jump down the rabbit hole and register at an enthusiasts site, i thought I'd ask you guys.

What brands of cold air intake kits and front strut bars would you recommend?  I have a 2008 Nissan Maxima (standard V6, 3.5L).  No other mods are on the car.  Its my daily driver, absolutely no racing.  I'm looking for something (CAI) to give me a little bump in passing acceleration  (and installing one sounds like a good intro into the car world).

I've read up on k&n, afe, injen, stillen, nismo (no longer made, ugh).

I have positive experiences with afe intake kits, but that is on BMW's.

Quality product and straight forward installation.

That said, I highly doubt it is providing the HP boost it is claiming.

George

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2016, 09:48 pm »
When your car was new it was rated at 255HP, at this point in time it will have somewhat less than that. In order to make a substantial improvement in passing capability you will need to bump up the horse power by somewhere near 20%, which would be about 50HP.
 A cold air intake and a low restriction air filter will not increase your horse power by this amount. In fact you won't be able to tell you have added these components when it comes to changing the seat of pants driving experience.
You may notice a small increase in gas mileage,or not.
Scotty

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2016, 10:01 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately, i realize the gains, if any, are marginal at best and i won't be able to tell even if they were relatively significant (say 10hp as some mfg claim). 

But something is drawing me to it - likely that I've been watching Wheeler Dealers and other car shows - and this seems like a project i can tackle for only a few hundred $. I've never done car work and this seems like a nice intro.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2016, 10:33 pm »
What Cold Air Intakes can most always accomplish is generating more intake noise.  For some, that can give the impression that the car is faster and more powerful, as can a louder exhaust.

If your expectations are realistic (probably less than half of advertised gains) and you don't mind the extra intake noise, they're fine, although here in the Southwest where washes and low areas can fill up quickly with water during rains, some of the units that position the intake much lower to the ground are cause for concern.

Steve

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm »
Interestingly, I have the same question about air intake systems. I've been seriously considering one for a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder 2.7L engine. The reviews for a  K&N seem pretty good, but I'm still not sure if it's worth the investment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E5XOUY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ALDHEM2LTMUK&coliid=I1V6QDK0R5DPGI&psc=1

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm »
What Cold Air Intakes can most always accomplish is generating more intake noise.  For some, that can give the impression that the car is faster and more powerful, as can a louder exhaust.

If your expectations are realistic (probably less than half of advertised gains) and you don't mind the extra intake noise, they're fine, although here in the Southwest where washes and low areas can fill up quickly with water during rains, some of the units that position the intake much lower to the ground are cause for concern.

Steve

I'd only install one where the filter is at the battery height.  Filters down at bumper height scare me. "...cause for concern..." is an understatement  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:08 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately, i realize the gains, if any, are marginal at best and i won't be able to tell even if they were relatively significant (say 10hp as some mfg claim). 

But something is drawing me to it - likely that I've been watching Wheeler Dealers and other car shows - and this seems like a project i can tackle for only a few hundred $. I've never done car work and this seems like a nice intro.

Improved air intake + a software tune + an exhaust change can make a BIG IMPROVEMENT!!

I did this in my previous BMW 335xi and my current BMW M3 and in both cases I was able to get almost an extra 100HP.

George

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:21 pm »
Improved air intake + a software tune + an exhaust change can make a BIG IMPROVEMENT!!

I did this in my previous BMW 335xi and my current BMW M3 and in both cases I was able to get almost an extra 100HP.

George

I have no doubt that the software tune (is that the same as chipping it?) would make a huge difference.  In my situation, it presents two problems, $$$$ and I have no idea where to get it done.

And my Maxima is fwd, so its not meant for large amounts of power like your (very nice) rwd M3 and awd 3series xi.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:40 pm »
I have no doubt that the software tune (is that the same as chipping it?) would make a huge difference.  In my situation, it presents two problems, $$$$ and I have no idea where to get it done.

And my Maxima is fwd, so its not meant for large amounts of power like your (very nice) rwd M3 and awd 3series xi.

Yes, now you connect directly to the CPU and reprogram it - you generally don't put in a new chip like the old days.

You can absolutely tune fwd cars.  I tuned multiple VW GTI's and they were front wheel drive.

I would check on a Nissan forum for ideas on any possible changes or ideas.  That's where you are going to get the most help.

Good luck.

George

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm »
If you have a MAF sensor inline with your intake system, K&N would not be recommended.  :nono: They use an oil based filtering material and can pass residue onto the sensor and clog it up.

CAI's do little for horsepower but allow the air intake to breath cooler air and sound more aggressive. More benefits to be had for a turbo engine.

Front brace may only be really appreciated if you cross track, looks cool however. And doesn't cost much.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:06 am »
A strut brace might be good depending on how the car acts, but it's not the first thing I'd look at. In general I think most cars could use better sway bars, especially the balance between front and rear since many over and under steer.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:08 am »
A strut brace might be good depending on how the car acts, but it's not the first thing I'd look at. In general I think most cars could use better sway bars, especially the balance between front and rear since many over and under steer.

I'd look at my tires first.

Moving to a good set of tires can transform how a car rides and handles.

George

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:16 am »
I'd look at my tires first.

Moving to a good set of tires can transform how a car rides and handles.

George
I agree 110%. You replace them as wear and tear at some point anyway. Tires can make a huge difference, without having to resort to low tread wear summer tires, there are many great choices these days.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:18 am »
That's a good idea too. I'm pretty sensitive to the motion in the ocean type feel of the suspension configuration... drives me a bit bonkers when things handle like a boat, or over/under. Tires can't fix that but I sure prefer the grip of a summer tire compared to some all-seasosns and winter tires that feel like death looming on freeway corners!

drewm

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:41 am »

George

Software tunes make a big difference in turbocharged cars, for naturally aspirated cars they don't do much. The OP doesn't have a turbocharged car.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:47 am »
Software tunes make a big difference in turbocharged cars, for naturally aspirated cars they don't do much. The OP doesn't have a turbocharged car.

Not true.

My M3 is normally aspirated and the GTI's I referred to previously were normally aspirated as well.

George

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:53 am »
If you're going to add a CAI, the next thing to probably do is the exhaust. After that you start looking at turbos, intercoolers, etc. But at some point, you might ask yourself if you really want to spend that kind of money on your current car vs just getting something like a Subaru WRX or Ford Focus RS which are already "tuned." I've had the same thoughts as you regarding my car. It really seems that you either need to go ahead and jump in and at least do everything up to the point of turbos etc, or go without. Pretty much anything less than CAI AND exhaust is a waste. So, you're probably looking at a good $1500-$2000 for that, at least.

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:13 am »

George

Not apples to apples, bro.  Your 335 made that big a diff because it's a turbo charged n54 or n55 motor.  Software is a much bigger deal in this instance as your literally telling your cars computer to add serval pounds of boost.   If I'm not mistaken the maxina is an NA car and he'll probably net 10-15whp messing with software.

That's said, rock on with your bimmer!  I just did software, CAI and catless down pipes to my own 535i.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2016, 03:22 am »
Getting back to my original question - which CAI brands would you recommend?  (exhaust, tuning, tires are off the table since I'll probably get a new car in a year or two)

All good advice so far!  Based on that, let me reframe my goals: I'm looking for a beginners project that 1) doesn't cost too much, 2) can be accomplished with what I have (ie no ramp or lift, 3) pushes what I'm comfortable doing so at the end I'm more confident and have a good sense of satisfaction (I've never done anything like this)

I think a CAI fits with those goals, just need to figure out which one.