Spatial M3 Turbo S vs Pure Audio Trio 15B

VonHess

Spatial M3 Turbo S vs Pure Audio Trio 15B
« on: 3 Aug 2016, 09:24 pm »
Anyone heard both of these and have any insight or opinions?  Thinking of going with one of these or maybe something from Hawthorne in the same price range.  I am open to DIY if that would get me something that would perform way above its pricepoint.  Mostly 2 channel, powering the speakers with a B&K 4420 amp (200 wpc), Parasound P5 preamp, DIY 12" sealed downfiring sub powered with Behringer Inuke 1000.  Sources are laptop with Foobar as music server, Cambridge dvd 89 cd player, some vinyl- Harman Kardon T20 turntable. thanks

nicoch

Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S vs Pure Audio Trio 15B
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm »
No game ,the bass on trio 15b is a lot  lot better ,  plus with fullrange you will have a really good mid/voice, that you can never have with a xover 15" that cross a 1" ,never !!

jseipp

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:26 pm »
I've not heard either of the speakers you mention, but I have the GR Research Wedgies and they are truly spectacular.  While I do not believe that they are currently available, looking at the GR Research Circle will show you what the current open baffle lineup is there.

Hope that may help!

Blueone302

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:44 am »
nioch,

Just for clarification,  I'm trying to decide what to do long term with my current speaker audition/shootout between the Spatial M3 Turbo S and a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III's.  You're saying you've heard both the Spatial M3 and the PAP Trio; or in Von Hess's words, are you sharing insight via opinion?  If you have heard them both, I would like to bend your ear with further questions.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2016, 11:45 am »
No game ,the bass on trio 15b is a lot  lot better ,  plus with fullrange you will have a really good mid/voice, that you can never have with a xover 15" that cross a 1" ,never !!

I have a friend who heard both at one of the recent audio shows and he thought the bass on the M3 was more dynamic and accurate than the Pure Audio Trio 15 Voxativ.

The Trio 15 Voxativ is also $5500 (more than double the cost of the M3).

As always, your mileage may vary...

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2016, 11:53 am »

A generalization and certainly not true with the M3's.

The mid's and voices on the M3's are coherent, musical, accurate, and 3D like.  I would go as far to say that this is an area of strength of the speaker.

George

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:10 pm »
A generalization and certainly not true with the M3's.

The mid's and voices on the M3's are coherent, musical, accurate, and 3D like.  I would go as far to say that this is an area of strength of the speaker.

George

And that's because of the good/great transition (between the woofer to tweeter) due to the assistance of a waveguide with narrow but controlled directivity. Without the waveguide, the transition is sudden/drastic and the ear will pick that up as an anomaly. Imaging should also be a strong suit.

Not all waveguides are created equal in all honesty. Clayton's design is very nice however!

It's just good engineering in all honesty!

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2016, 06:40 pm by poseidonsvoice »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:31 pm »
I agree that the M3 vocals are one of it's strengths.  Noticeably clearer than my 8" fullrange.

Freemand

• "To smoke is human; to smoke cigars is divine."
« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm »
This may be one of the more pivotal questions in my mind. I believe Clayton and Ze'ev have set them selfs apart from the pack in the world of open baffle not considering those who build their own DIY OB design.

Clayton has the advantage of price, but if spending more for a Trio15 Voxativ with Leonidas gives bigger improvements over the M3 turbo s then it may be good money spent. Remember, you can build your own frame to your liking and that brings the price down to about $3,600 for the Voxativ and much less for the other Trio15 models.

Clayton and Ze'ev both seem like stand up guys in my dealings with them. I believe my next set of new speakers will be either the M3 turbo s or the Voxativ Trio 15 and build my own frames which puts it around a thousand dollars more. I do like the extreme flexibility in the Leonidas crossover.

So as this thread began asking the question "Spatial M3 turbo s vs Pure audio Trio 15" is the question I have wondered myself for sometime. We need several audiophiles with both theses speakers to have fun comparison.

nicoch

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2016, 08:44 am »
freemand nice post , we have two really different design , the coax based on an old 50year design  ,copy of Tannoy but with cheaper unit ,yes only cheaper unit use a stamped frame  , that is crude classic two way  xover  design with all the problem that all know, Altec have a rich story on coax (sorry Anand but that waveguide is the cone and is not fixed! you forget that little details ..the most important one !)
Howerton audio is here from a lot year and serve diy well  if you like compression driver or find the original Tannoy gold unit
On the other side we have  a new concept DIY friendly  ,a FAST concept  with some  full range unit ,no xover in sensible zone or no xover at all if you use biamp   with  a fantastc 15" aluframe ,neo motor with copper ring .

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2016, 03:09 pm »
Nicoh - you have yet to say whether or not you have listened to the Spatials.  It would help your case if it were based on listening and not a reference to older designs.  I am not trying to be rude - just want more info to understand your statements.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2016, 03:16 pm »
(sorry Anand but that waveguide is the cone and is not fixed! you forget that little details ..the most important one !)
What are you talking about?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2016, 03:20 pm »
freemand nice post , we have two really different design , the coax based on an old 50year design  ,copy of Tannoy but with cheaper unit ,yes only cheaper unit use a stamped frame  , that is crude classic two way  xover  design with all the problem that all know, Altec have a rich story on coax (sorry Anand but that waveguide is the cone and is not fixed! you forget that little details ..the most important one !)
Howerton audio is here from a lot year and serve diy well  if you like compression driver or find the original Tannoy gold unit
On the other side we have  a new concept DIY friendly  ,a FAST concept  with some  full range unit ,no xover in sensible zone or no xover at all if you use biamp   with  a fantastc 15" aluframe ,neo motor with copper ring .

Nicoh,

I have no issue with you or anybody else preferring a different set of speakers over the M3's, but I would like to know the context of your comments. 

Have you actually listened to them?

Have you looked at the crossover?

Do you understand the waveguide Clayton is using?

George

nicoch

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:11 pm »
Do you understand the waveguide Clayton is using?

george I thinks that you dont understand this waveguide !
" The Tannoy type takes advantage of the large cone waveguide to provide the horn loading support down to the cone's diameter / wavelength where 15 in diameter = roughly 800Hz support and pattern control bandwidth"

schw06

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:13 pm »
george I thinks that you dont understand this waveguide !
" The Tannoy type takes advantage of the large cone waveguide to provide the horn loading support down to the cone's diameter / wavelength where 15 in diameter = roughly 800Hz support and pattern control bandwidth"
Translation: I've never heard them

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:40 pm »

Exactly!

Too bad...I was hoping to have a decent conversation on a real comparison.

Hopefully both brands will be at RMAF and I will get to hear the Pure Audio product for myself.

George

nicoch

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:44 pm »

You dont know how work ?

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2016, 05:47 pm »
You dont know how work ?

English is 2nd language?

Inarticulate?

Am I the only one who never knows what the hell this guy is saying?     :scratch:

nicoch

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2016, 06:31 pm »
English is 2nd language?
Inarticulate?
Am I the only one who never knows what the hell this guy is saying?     :scratch:
can you understand this ?   
"The Tannoy type takes advantage of the large cone waveguide to provide the horn loading support down to the cone's diameter / wavelength where 15 in diameter = roughly 800Hz support and pattern control bandwidth"

audioguy213

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2016, 07:05 pm »
It's called trolling,
why are so many of you trying to talk to him?