58, think but belly. How to fix

drphoto

Re: 58, think but belly. How to fix
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jul 2016, 09:56 pm »
Yeah, It probably doesn't help that I am a Type A personality. I probably take everything way too seriously. Even my part, part time job as a front of house sound man can  be rough. We were about to start the first set of the night once, when the system just went haywire (turned out to be a malfunctioning channel in the mixer) I swear to god I thought I was going to have a coronary the spot. It was horrible.

But one stressor I can't fix at the moment is hours at hospital. I'm on for 9 out of ten days. I've just finished 6 @ average of 10 hrs a day. non stop. no lunch time. It's trauma season and it's just crazy. I don't know how the nurses do it. They are saints. Seriously if you ever go to the hospital, be nice to your nurses, please.

Forgot if I mentioned this, but back in the winter I got atypical pneumonia (meaning caused by an type of bacterium called a mycoplasm) While at docs office,  I was diagnosed with stage 4 idiopathic hypertension. (BTW idiopathic means 'of no known risk factors, like overweight, smoking etc. most likely genetics)  Treated nicely with a type of drug known in the biz as an ARB (angiotensin receptor blocker) Way more effective than beta blockers, alpha2 agonist (like clonidine) or calcium channel blockers. Plus, least likely to cause renal (kidney) problems. Good stuff. Expensive though. But.....cheaper than a stroke!  :lol:

drphoto

« Reply #41 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:02 pm »
Sorry to ramble. I am starting to try to 'let go' on certain things. I've been trying to learn guitar for years. Just an exercise in frustration. I have all these friends who are terrific musicians and I frankly just sucked. So I decided, ok, you're never gonna play a David Gilmour solo or any thing else very well. So I just gave up and started writing my own songs. I thought, well, I'll play what I can play.

and now, I'm finally having fun. I love it. And paradoxically my playing hasn't gotten way better! my speed is up, my tone is good because my fretting has gotten cleaner. I have a better understanding of how songs are constructed. Hell, I might be able to actually do a Gilmour cover someday now if I want.

I recorded one of my bits on my phone and played it for one of the guitar players in a band I run sound for, and he was like.....is that really you??

So I'm trying to chill in some areas.  :)

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm »
Never been anemic? I might have you partially wrong, but it all reads like stress induced.

drphoto

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm »
Well, B12 flagged as low, so taking supplement on that. and since I drink a wee bit too much, I take an additional B complex supplement, because alcohol can deplete thiamine (B1) . In fact the infamous 'rally bag' (or 'banana bag') they give to the drunks gets it's characteristic color from the multivitamin solution, but it also contains additional thiamine, folic acid and usually magnesium. 

Thiamine depletion can lead to something  known as WK syndrome which can result in a type of dementia.

Ok, class dismissed.  8)

Folsom

« Reply #44 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:21 pm »
You may want to switch to a bioactive version of B12, at least. Many people can't convert the other version.

Folic acid can be a double edged sword, if you have MTHFR mutations.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #45 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:35 pm »
I would cut out the booze and see if a nurse couldn't run me ragged. 
Keep up the guitar, too!

bummrush

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:33 pm »
B 12 should be absorbed sublingily

drphoto

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm »
Steve, If I were 25 years younger this job might be fun. There are some SERIOUSLY cute nurses at the hospital. But they aint't gonna look twice at a geezer like me. They like me because I do my job and make theirs easier, which in a way is nice. Even the young nurses work like demons. I admire the hell out of all of them.

Folsom

« Reply #48 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:33 am »
You don't know women :lol:

drphoto

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:54 am »
uhh. yep. Guilty as charged.

Rocket

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jul 2016, 04:55 am »
Hi,

If your within good healthy weight you might just trying concentrating on pulling your stomach in.  I know it sounds simplistic but I see many men of middle age with their guts hanging out and a lot is due to poor posture.  I'm moderately fit and still have a bit of a stomach but concentrate on having good posture.

Cheers Rod

Jon L

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jul 2016, 05:09 am »
There are no miracle drugs, but this may be worth a shot:
http://supplementpolice.com/pure-forskolin-extract-review/

"The fuss and buzz behind Forskolin is due to the direct link its health properties have to helping burn fat quicker than normal dietary adjustments since it was found to help in the break down of adipose tissue (fancy name for belly fat), which helps release fatty acids in a process known as thermogenesis (which of course is why you need to stay hydrated daily to flush, eliminate and remove this toxic waste material and debris)."

drphoto

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jul 2016, 09:35 pm »
BTW: just to be fair. Not all nurses are woman these days. There is a guy named Raymond in our ER and he's as good as any doctor I ever met. Physically, a little dude, but a giant of a man IMHO as a healthcare provider.

Woodsea

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm »
I recommend finding a hike that you can do every week.  Make it a challenge to decrease the amount of time that you do it in.  Follow that up with moderate eating habits and some  sort of yoga type (stretching, body weight exercise) regime.  I was doing and will start-up again The Bar Method http://www.barmethod.com I recommend finding a hike that you can do every week.  Make it a challenge to decrease the amount of time that you do it in.
Disclosure I am a 51 yr old RN.
I got my time down to 50 minutes on the Grouse Grind https://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

Good luck!

drphoto

« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:58 pm »
Bless you woodsea if you are an RN. I'm not religious. RN's are as close as I think as it get's to saints in my book. I can't believe the crap they have to endure. And do it everyday with a smile. I was on an elevator today with a pt going up to unit from Vascular. I said " Don't worry ma'm they'll take good care of you, we've got the best nurses in town and she smiled and said 'yes, I know;"  That sort of thing makes it worth doing.   :wink:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #55 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:06 am »
What activity do you really like that keeps you active? 
Motorcycles do it for me - sweat bullets during the Summer, shiver it off during the Winter. 
I know what you mean about the belly, that's exactly where the weight goes but it comes off really quick, too. 

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:13 am »
Yeah, It probably doesn't help that I am a Type A personality. I probably take everything way too seriously. Even my part, part time job as a front of house sound man can  be rough. We were about to start the first set of the night once, when the system just went haywire (turned out to be a malfunctioning channel in the mixer) I swear to god I thought I was going to have a coronary the spot. It was horrible.

But one stressor I can't fix at the moment is hours at hospital. I'm on for 9 out of ten days. I've just finished 6 @ average of 10 hrs a day. non stop. no lunch time. It's trauma season and it's just crazy. I don't know how the nurses do it. They are saints. Seriously if you ever go to the hospital, be nice to your nurses, please.

Forgot if I mentioned this, but back in the winter I got atypical pneumonia (meaning caused by an type of bacterium called a mycoplasm) While at docs office,  I was diagnosed with stage 4 idiopathic hypertension. (BTW idiopathic means 'of no known risk factors, like overweight, smoking etc. most likely genetics)  Treated nicely with a type of drug known in the biz as an ARB (angiotensin receptor blocker) Way more effective than beta blockers, alpha2 agonist (like clonidine) or calcium channel blockers. Plus, least likely to cause renal (kidney) problems. Good stuff. Expensive though. But.....cheaper than a stroke!  :lol:

It may not be "idiopathic".  It could simply be insulin resistance, which you have if you have a belly.  Also, ask the doctor who prescribed that drug to show the results of the double blind, placebo controlled study indicating the benefit for that drug for heart disease. 

Folsom

« Reply #57 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:17 am »
Stress raises insulin resistance.

drphoto

« Reply #58 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:24 am »
I read the studies bro. And it works great. (not plugging for the product. I dunno even who makes it actually) I think as someone in pharmacy that ARB's are a good choice. Another, and much cheaper is Valsartan. (2nd gen I think but not sure)  Our hospital docs don't tend to use for some reason. We usually only see when people come in and have listed as home med that we continue.

A lot of peoples first thought are beta blockers, but they have side effects. One of which is ED. Which really doesn't matter to me as I haven't had a date in 6 years!

:cry: (although honestly.....i'm too damn tired to even bother.)

drphoto

« Reply #59 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:25 am »
Again, my glucose levels are well in normal range.