Foam vs qrd diffuser at front wall (behind speakers)

mirekti

Re: Foam vs qrd diffuser at front wall (behind speakers)
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2017, 06:41 am »
Just an FYI, if you plan on going with the newer aluminum cast Isoacoustic Apertas, they only come with the shorter set of tubes. Plus they are actually 3/4" lower than the plastic ones when set up as low as possible.

I settled on upgrading the plastic to Aperta models, and placing them on Mapleshade blocks, with PE isolation cones super glued to the bottom of the maple. That gave me 3+ more inches rise than just using the Isos.

Would blue tack work on the top cones?
I had something similar on my mind, but afraid the kid might bump them over. Currently I am using blue tack which works perfect, but on a metal plate.

jk@home

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2017, 01:10 pm »
On the brass cones? I don't see why not, these are the cones:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-iso-4g-gold-isolation-cone-set-4-pcs--240-720

The Iso stands are very solid, but could still be knocked over by the juveniles. :D One thing I did recently was remove all the Sorbothane pads I had under the sub/stands, and replace them with cork/rubber squares under the concrete sub base, and spikes under everything else. Made the subs solid enough to move the KEFs out to the inner corners. Also moved the present amp (Yamaha P2500S) into the LH closet, and ran new cable, Mogami 3303, covered with that cool looking rattlesnake tech flex.

mirekti

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2017, 02:41 pm »
On the brass cones? I don't see why not, these are the cones:

I was actually referring to the isoacustics stand. I would put it between the subwoofer and mini monitor, but would like to secure it. Blue tack is a great option, but not sure if it would work on isoacustics. Are the cones on isoacustics made of soft rubber or it is hard? Is it porous?

Thanks!!

jk@home

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2017, 03:04 pm »
Not too soft, they have a kinda slick silicon feeling to them. They are cupped on both top and bottom, which means you would roll your blu-tack into balls and press into the cups.

I don't have any Blu-tack on hand, but just now tried some of the cord weatherstripping rope caulk on the Iso's rubber feet, as it is very similar. Didn't stick too well at all, so based on that I wouldn't recommend depending on the blu tack to make the stands kid proof. Maybe someone else has had better results with actually using the blu-tack.