Rafa Nadal's New Forehand

fsimms

Rafa Nadal's New Forehand
« on: 14 May 2016, 04:50 pm »
Strange I see no mention on the net that Nadal changed his forehand from Madrid to Rome.  This is why Rafa gave Nole such fits in the quarterfinal. It is also why he had more forehand errors. 

Nadal now has quicker preparation for his forehand.  This allows him to give quicker shots and isn't as late as often as he was before.  Strange he changed mid season.  I am sure that he was well practiced in his new style, but no amount of practice can replace a live tournament.  He just wasn't used to his new timing in clutch plays.  I think he will be ready for Paris and is my favorite to win.

This is from a practice session at the US Open in 2015.

This is from the Rome 2016 practice session.

It may not look like a big change from the pictures, but in the first he lets go of the racquet in front of him and lets the racquet loop around to his side before dropping the racquet to fire the forehand.  The other one he places the racquet with his hands and shoulders to his side.  He then can immediately drop the racquet to fire the forehand.  This eliminates the looping motion.  It doesn't look as fluid in full motion, but it is much faster.  Fractions of a second count.

Bob

Servingthemusic.com

Re: Rafa Nadal's New Forehand
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2016, 06:34 pm »
Strange I see no mention on the net that Nadal changed his forehand from Madrid to Rome.  This is why Rafa gave Nole such fits in the quarterfinal. It is also why he had more forehand errors. 

Nadal now has quicker preparation for his forehand.  This allows him to give quicker shots and isn't as late as often as he was before.  Strange he changed mid season.  I am sure that he was well practiced in his new style, but no amount of practice can replace a live tournament.  He just wasn't used to his new timing in clutch plays.  I think he will be ready for Paris and is my favorite to win.

This is from a practice session at the US Open in 2015.

This is from the Rome 2016 practice session.

It may not look like a big change from the pictures, but in the first he lets go of the racquet in front of him and lets the racquet loop around to his side before dropping the racquet to fire the forehand.  The other one he places the racquet with his hands and shoulders to his side.  He then can immediately drop the racquet to fire the forehand.  This eliminates the looping motion.  It doesn't look as fluid in full motion, but it is much faster.  Fractions of a second count.

Bob
Hey Bob!

HUGE Rafa fan here. I get very technical too.

I actually do not think there is a technique change in the forehand. He is playing better and not smothering the forehand as
much IMO strictly due to improved confidence.

The slight variation you are seeing in the pictures are due to surface change.
The bounce at the USO and in Rome are going to be so different,
all players have to make slight changes in prep.

I play on both surfaces as well and I can feel the difference.

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2016, 07:20 pm »
I am learning Nadal's forehand so I am familiar with his detailed forehand form.  The style is similar to what he had in 2008.  He made this change from Madrid to Rome. 

This is a picture that I took last December of me learning Nadal.  My form is not as close as it may appear in the picture.  I am slowly getting closer though. 

Bob

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2016, 07:36 pm »
I am learning Nadal's forehand so I am familiar with his detailed forehand form.  The style is similar to what he had in 2008.  He made this change from Madrid to Rome. 

This is a picture that I took last December of me learning Nadal.  My form is not as close as it may appear in the picture.  I am slowly getting closer though. 

Bob

Hey Bob:

Great job! I rate Rafa's forehand as top 5 of all time. Most of the elite forehands have the characteristic
of the straight arm at contact..Federer, Verdasco, Rafa etc. But not all.

I promise you he did not change his technique mid year between two tourneys.

Warm ups are a totally different animal. I have seen Rafa practice in person numerous times.

Def. admire your work on the forehand. I just retooled mine ( solid year of work) too.

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2016, 08:03 pm »
Def. admire your work on the forehand. I just retooled mine ( solid year of work) too.

Thanks.  :D

TrungT

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2016, 09:55 pm »
Bob.
Your forehand look great.  :thumb:
Wish I could play more tennis, Pickleball now day.  :oops:

fsimms

Nadal's wrist injury
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2016, 02:49 pm »
Thanks TrungT.  :D

It is very sad that Nadal is out of the French open.  He was my personal favorite to win with his new forehand.  As a layman Googling his wrist injury, it says that it is often caused by repetitive movements like a factory worker or over training.  Lucky it doesn't seem to be a stress problem so he shouldn't have to ease up when it heals.  I guess he must have trained too hard to introduce his new forehand mid season.  I am guessing that it won't be too much a problem if he can let it heal naturally.  I hope he doesn't push too hard to make it to Wimbledon and aggravate it again. Djokovic should be in trouble when Nadal returns.

Bob