The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #220 on: 13 Oct 2017, 01:35 am »
Back from RMAF2017 and had a nice dinner visit with THROWBACK, KLH007 and lots of other friends. 

New amplification ideas for The Megaliths planars and ribbons have started.  The ideas will allow no series capacitors for the ribbon drivers.

Have a new RoomEQ curve for the minimum phase room correction to run on the MS-3 in Foobar2000.  Like this idea more than either of the stock RoomEQ Bright or Neutral settings.

More fun listening times ahead. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #221 on: 13 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm »
The Marriott dining room was the best room at the show when you guys were in it.
Chuck

KLH007

« Reply #222 on: 13 Oct 2017, 10:27 pm »
Chuck, What a fun dinner with you, Rich, Mike, Kevin, and new acquaintances so glad I could make it.

HAL

« Reply #223 on: 19 Oct 2017, 12:55 pm »
THROWBACK and KLH007,

Always fun to meet up!

Whenever we get folks together at the show it is always the best room. 

Back from multiple travels and time to try some new ideas with The Megaliths.   Also have The Monoliths in work as well.  Lots of open baffle planar speaker fun going on.

KLH007

« Reply #224 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:59 pm »
Rich, It was a fun dinner, glad you invited me. What is your Monolith? See you in Rockville.

HAL

« Reply #225 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:01 pm »
KLH007,
Here is the description and pictures of the first steps.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153244.msg1638564#new

KLH007

« Reply #226 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:18 pm »
Rich, just after I posted I found the Monolith thread, very prolific in your retirement, aren't you? Makes a trip down to see you a must, lots of irons in the fire!

HAL

« Reply #227 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm »
Installed the two Parasound A23 stereo amps for vertically biamping the 8 (four pairs) of GT Audio Works 20" ribbons in The Megaliths last night.  I think 800 watts of tweeter power should be fine.  They are DC coupled servo controlled amps so no DC offset with protection at startup.  Sound very clean!

First test was with just the ribbons and 6x12" servo subs.  Did very well with just the ribbon DC protection caps (single pole highpass) installed.  Next step it to move the crossover before the A23's and direct couple the ribbons. 

Next bring up the Neo10 arrays and integrate them with the ribbons.

More listening to go.

HAL

« Reply #228 on: 7 Nov 2017, 03:35 pm »
The order for the next batch of Parasound A23's is in.  They worked very well with the ribbon tweeters!

All the ChipAmp modules are now being replaced by the A23's.  Will be a much more compact setup since the amp chassis can be stacked.  This will lower the DC offset and provide driver protection that the original do not have. 

Now to work on the automatic amp start system.  They have 12VDC start signal inputs with cables. 

HAL

« Reply #229 on: 11 Nov 2017, 01:14 am »
Just got confirmation a pallet of Parasound Halo A23 amps is on the way via 18 wheeler.

My Evil plan is coming along nicely!   Bwahah Bwahahahahahah!

HAL

« Reply #230 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:25 pm »
The anticipation builds.  :o

The amps will be here Friday for installation and testing with the speakers.  Then new room measurements with the improve calibrated mic system.

THROWBACK

« Reply #231 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:45 pm »
Isn't measuring a room using a mike doing it the hard way, Rich? Why not just use a tape measure? Heh heh.

Not funny, eh? OK, OK.

HAL

« Reply #232 on: 14 Nov 2017, 02:38 pm »
Easier with a MIC.  My arms are not long enough to stretch that far! :)

HAL

« Reply #233 on: 16 Nov 2017, 01:03 pm »
Tomorrow is the big day!

Hope to get to see the finish test on the 1x12 module #1 for the 6x12's.  Waiting on the phone call.

Truck arrives with a pallet of Parasound A23's.

Another truck arrives with two modular 2x12 H-Frame flat packs.

Emailed Danny about 4 more SW-12-16FR drivers to use with my HX300 servo amps.

Once the amps are installed time for new system measurements! 

HAL

« Reply #234 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:35 pm »
First modular 1x12 finished in Hot Rod black and I like it!!!  :D

Next week will start the other 5 modules for finishing to do one 6x12 at a time. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #235 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:46 pm »
Oh that's niiiiiccee.

HAL

« Reply #236 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:53 pm »
Tyson,
Thanks! 

Guess I should have cleaned my phone camera lens.  The smudges are only in the picture.

This is about to be the coolest thing I ever built.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #237 on: 17 Nov 2017, 07:10 pm »
People don't understand about the Neo10 and Neo3 combo.  It's magical. 

6 years ago when first I heard the Super V, they had the OB servo bass and that bass was the best I'd ever heard, regardless of price.  But the concentric cone-dome mids/tweeter section did not match the world class bass section. 

Then Danny switched to the Super 7's with the Neo10 and Neo3 combo.  Not only did the mids/highs match the bass, but in some ways actually surpassed it.  And that's with just 4 Neo10's and one Neo3 per side.  My mind boggles at what you'll achieve. 

Edit - I se that you went with different tweeters, some ribbons.  I bet that sounds great too.  But I'd encourage you to give the Neo3's a chance in the future, if you can.  There's just synergy with the Neo10s that's hard to match, IMO. 

HAL

« Reply #238 on: 17 Nov 2017, 09:30 pm »
Tyson,
I have the ribbons since the Neo3's were not available, but the baffles are designed to handle them.

With all that you do need some amps, so they have arrived.  Parasound Halo A23's x10.

HAL

« Reply #239 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:15 am »
Two more black Parasound A23 amps unboxed and ready to connect to The Megaliths.  Matches the color of the subs and Neo10's.

Using silver Parasound A23 amps for the GT Audio Works ribbons.

Four more to go and all 10 of the amps will be installed and then testing begins.