The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #120 on: 16 Jun 2016, 09:59 am »
Peter J,
Thanks!  Built that room for this very reason 22 years ago.  Now it is fully serving it's purpose!

HAL

« Reply #121 on: 16 Jun 2016, 12:43 pm »
Just ran MathAudio Room EQ on the latest version crossover on The Megaliths :o .   This is a whole different league from any box loudspeaker and most electrostats and planars I have heard.  The digital crossover driving the amps directly to each driver is as clean as any setup I have heard and when the servo subs kick in it is amazingly extended and tight. 

Now if I only had some planar tweeters!

Guy 13

« Reply #122 on: 16 Jun 2016, 01:30 pm »
Just ran MathAudio Room EQ on the latest version crossover on The Megaliths :o .   This is a whole different league from any box loudspeaker and most electrostats and planars I have heard.  The digital crossover driving the amps directly to each driver is as clean as any setup I have heard and when the servo subs kick in it is amazingly extended and tight. 

Now if I only had some planar tweeters!

YES ! Where are they, those planar tweeters ? ? ? ?

HAL

« Reply #123 on: 16 Jun 2016, 02:59 pm »
Last I heard somewhere in July from PE.

No updates since April on the website.   :(

HAL

« Reply #124 on: 16 Jun 2016, 06:38 pm »
The next batch of TWL HAL AC power cords arrived.

Hooked up to the PIAG UberBUSS and MicroBUSS and time for some listening. 

HAL

« Reply #125 on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:56 am »
See folks discussing Gainclone slew rate limiting and servo sub opposing are arrangement problems.  Here is some background.

The largest voltage swing the amps can do with their power supplies is 50Vp-p.  Since the DSP has a 96KHz bandwidth, the maximum slew rate is 4.8V/uS.  The LM3875 chip rating range is 5-11V/uS with a 200KHz bandwidth.  No slew rate limiting from the basic calculations, and sounds excellent on all music.

The opposing servo subs voice coil distance offset is about 6".  At 150Hz, that is 23.9 deg of phase difference for the crossover point.  I hear no problems and electronically time align the servo subs to the main open baffles.  Physical time alignment of the two cabinets is not needed.

I will also stick with minimum phase digital systems since that is also how all transducers phase response are in the real world. 

HAL

« Reply #126 on: 23 Jun 2016, 06:33 pm »
Spotted some BG planar in stock at PE the end of July.  Latest directly from PE is no update on the BG Neo3-PDRs. 

This is driving me bonkers!  :thumbdown:

HAL

« Reply #127 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:14 pm »
Just called PE directly.

Have been given a 17 August delivery date for the BG Neo3-PDR drivers.  We shall see, as they were originally supposed to be in July!  Ordered them in April. 

Ugh!

HAL

« Reply #128 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm »
Got The Megaliths running with new crossover points and with Room EQ running these are great speakers.  I am very happy with the results with just the 2/3 of the speaker running with correction. 

I can easily live with these until August when the tweeters are supposed to arrive to install.  Then the wait will continue for the next version of the dspMusik with 16 channels of output. 

And some people will remind me that it only took 13 months to build The Empire State Building in NYC in 1939.   :D 

HAL

« Reply #129 on: 3 Jul 2016, 11:48 am »
This week makes 3 months since ordering the BG Neo3-PDR tweeters from PE.  According to their latest info from Christie Digital, will be a total of 4.25 months until they are shipped to me. 

That will be a total of 20 months since Christie Digital bought BG and put out the last product to PE to ship.

I guess patience is a virtue.    :roll:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 3 Jul 2016, 06:29 pm »
Patience may be but holding your breath in this situation wouldn't   :(

Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #131 on: 3 Jul 2016, 06:59 pm »
Even though Danny's planar tweeters are still in development, they could still be your quickest option.  Is it fair to say that Christie Digital is only 50:50 to actually deliver to Parts Express?

HAL

« Reply #132 on: 3 Jul 2016, 09:47 pm »
Scott,
I have no idea what PE has actually gotten from Christie.  I just know about the Neo3-PRD's for the order I placed, who knows about the rest.

I am waiting to hear from Danny about his tweeter design as well.

There is also a possibility of dipole ribbon tweeter elements as well, so will see what happens. 

S Clark

« Reply #133 on: 3 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm »
Have you tried rounding up odd pairs from here and there?  I know Ive got a pair of Neo 3's stashed away... somewhere. I think they are the version that goes in the N2 speaker.  If you need them, I'll go dig them out.  If you are really dead in the water, I can pull another pair from a pair of N2's that are also sitting in storage for the summer.   

HAL

« Reply #134 on: 3 Jul 2016, 10:12 pm »
Scott,
Yes, I looked, but when you need 44 - BG Neo3-PDR's it is to difficult for the line arrays.

I have four here between the N2X and open baffle setup I have, but still 40 to go. 

No rush, the speakers really do sound very good just EQ'd flat.  It's like a very flat response single driver system with bass response.  Just really big!  :D

S Clark

« Reply #135 on: 3 Jul 2016, 10:22 pm »
Scott,
Yes, I looked, but when you need 44 - BG Neo3-PDR's it is to difficult for the line arrays.

I have four here between the N2X and open baffle setup I have, but still 40 to go. 

No rush, the speakers really do sound very good just EQ'd flat.  It's like a very flat response single driver system with bass response.  Just really big!  :D
Well, s@*t.  Your 4 and my 4 still doesn't get you that close.  Oh well.  When you finally do get this thing up and running, I may have to find a cheap flight to the east coast. 

HAL

« Reply #136 on: 3 Jul 2016, 11:09 pm »
Yes, same thing I said!  :D

Sounds like a plan to me.  Bring Danny along if you can.  I will get the grill going and make bratwurst and burgers. 

You and I can have the beer! Will have his favorite Dr Pepper with real sugar as I can get it now! :)

HAL

« Reply #137 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:37 am »
Just spent the weekend working CAF2016.  Was in the GT Audioworks room with Greg Takesh.  Talked about ribbon tweeter modules for The Megaliths and he is going to give me pricing on 8 - 20" ribbon dipoles for the system.  These would be a replacement for the BG Neo3-PDR's since I have no idea if the 17 August date is a good one.  Each ribbon will have Superior Electric 5-way binding posts to connect the ribbons to the speaker cables.  Each pair of tweeter modules will be wired to amp modules for time delay beamforming use. 

After hearing the new GTA3-R planar/ribbon panels with the OB servo subs at the show for 3 days, they really do sound very good indeed! 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #138 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:25 am »
Rich, not that I don't agree that sourcing ribbon tweeters from Greg is probably a better idea, but have you tried reaching out to whoever the person/company based in Spain is on ebay that has various combinations of neo3 and neo10 drivers for sale?  Looking across all of their auctions, they might be one of the few places left that could put together enough tweeters in one place to complete your project without having to wait and or beg from PE/Christie.

HAL

« Reply #139 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:02 am »
Jonathan,
I have seen them, but at that price it would be $6358 for the tweeters from them.  PE is less than 1/2, so the price difference is to high to consider.

I already know the ballpark price from Greg and it is much less.  Since there are only 4 drivers per side, make is much easier to install and integrate as well.  Only an extra 2 amps per side to drive the pairs of OB ribbons and 4 dspMusik channels for a total of 12 channels.

It is really the 176 mounting holes for the Neo3-PDR's that is the bad part for me.  Much less for the GT's.

We shall see what happens.  I am just really getting tired of waiting for Christie Digital to get PE the tweeters.  Glad I found the NOS Neo10's!