SurgeX Question

JDUBS

SurgeX Question
« on: 22 Mar 2016, 01:25 am »
Hey Guys

Do the SurgeX products to isolate?  Specifically, I have my stereo running on a line that is shared with a light with a dimmer switch.  This switch is somewhat noisy (can hear it over my speakers).

Will a SurgeX fix this issue?

Thanks!

Jim

Folsom

Re: SurgeX Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:25 am »
It will help, but I can't vouch for eliminate due to the fact these things work on voltage division. The noise source determines if the filter can eliminate noise to a negligible level. DaveC113 probably has a demo one you could try.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:37 pm »
The word 'isolate' may be a poor choice, 'filter' would be a better word. It's always best to tackle noise at it's source. An new filtered dimmer might be an improvement. A SurgeX is costly, there may be less expensive solutions. Like turning the light off or an extension cord.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:41 pm »
I'd recommend the zero surge units they invented the technology that SurgeX is using and they're usually a bit less expensive.

http://www.zerosurge.com/residential/residential-products/8-outlet-models/

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:52 pm »
I'd recommend the zero surge units they invented the technology that SurgeX is using and they're usually a bit less expensive.

http://www.zerosurge.com/residential/residential-products/8-outlet-models/

Those captive power cords on the Zero Surge models will likely limit the possibility for improved sound quality.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:55 pm »
The word 'isolate' may be a poor choice, 'filter' would be a better word. It's always best to tackle noise at it's source. An new filtered dimmer might be an improvement. A SurgeX is costly, there may be less expensive solutions. Like turning the light off or an extension cord.

I agree, and filter = attenuate... depending on the details you'll get some attenuation of the noise, possibly quite a bit but it's hard to say. The best solution is to not use the light in that circuit.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2016, 03:57 pm »
Those captive power cords on the Zero Surge models will likely limit the possibility for improved sound quality.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2016, 05:01 pm »
+1  :lol:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2016, 05:17 pm »
jt, hank... do we really need to discuss the merits of cables everywhere? Those posts serve no constructive purpose. Let's move on...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2016, 05:18 pm »
jt, hank... do we really need to discuss the merits of cables everywhere? Those posts serve no constructive purpose. Let's move on...
Obviously not - hence the laugh. 

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2016, 05:48 pm »
I did not bring up the power cord subject.  EarlyB did and we laughed at his ridiculous post.

Constructive:  I've had both a ZeroSurge and a Brick Wall in my system for a few years have never had lightning damage to my connected components. :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2016, 11:24 pm »
Ok, guys, I'm back.  I've got my system on its own 20amp line but there is still a turn-on pop (not loud) that makes its way into my powered speakers from my air conditioner.  I've done a little research and it sounds like the initial power draw from the air conditioner that causes a momentary voltage drop across ALL of the lines in my apartment. 

Sooo...will the powered speakers plugged into a SurgeX stop that pop?

Or, can I just plug the air conditioner into something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Suppressor-Diagnostic-ULTRABLOK/dp/B00006B81D/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460849003&sr=1-2&keywords=emi+filter

Thanks,
Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2016, 05:09 pm »
Ok, guys, I'm back.  I've got my system on its own 20amp line but there is still a turn-on pop (not loud) that makes its way into my powered speakers from my air conditioner.  I've done a little research and it sounds like the initial power draw from the air conditioner that causes a momentary voltage drop across ALL of the lines in my apartment. 

Sooo...will the powered speakers plugged into a SurgeX stop that pop?

Or, can I just plug the air conditioner into something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Suppressor-Diagnostic-ULTRABLOK/dp/B00006B81D/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460849003&sr=1-2&keywords=emi+filter

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Guys

Just to close the loop here.  I bought a Surgex 1120 RT ($250 brand new) and it did the trick.  Good stuff!

-Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2016, 05:19 pm »
Hey Guys

Just to close the loop here.  I bought a Surgex 1120 RT ($250 brand new) and it did the trick.  Good stuff!

-Jim

Good to hear! Let me know if you feel like doing any DIY improvements, there are a few things that can make it a good bit better sounding.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2016, 05:22 pm »
Hey Guys

-Jim
That's great!  Where did you find one for $250 new?   :o

JDUBS

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2016, 07:54 pm »
Good to hear! Let me know if you feel like doing any DIY improvements, there are a few things that can make it a good bit better sounding.

DaveC113, would love to hear about DIY stuff I can do! 

-Jim