Best Vintage Speakers

Scott F.

Re: Best Vintage Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:51 am »
I've got a number of vintage speakers that are a blast to listen to. They aren't on par (resolution-wise) as modern speakers but they are wholly engaging. The Large Advents are fun to listen to as well as the Dynaco A25's (I've got a pair of A-35).

A couple I'd add to the list others have mentioned would be ADS L870 and the Altec Bolero.

Of all my vintage speakers, I'd say my JBL 4410 Studio Monitors are the most accurate when compared to modern speakers. They can be found but they are a bit pricey  compared to the others at between $400 and $500. They're worth it though.

.....oh, all of these play really well with vintage push pull tube integrateds.

trackball02

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:52 am »
Last Fall, I purchased a pair of Yamaha NS1000 that would be under your budget.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-NS-1000.html

These are fantastic speakers----heavy, solid and awesome beryllium dome drivers, plus gorgeous Madagascar Ebony veneer. They're heavy and need strong stands. Plays nicely with my AVA Ultravalve amp.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:26 am »
I like the D-12s. But my favorites were the D-6 and D-2.  I miss them both.

brk36

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:38 am »
Just to catch up on this thread now that I have done some homework on all your suggestions.

D-12s = Great speaker, omidirectional sound, vintage with rare drivers which considering how I came to this juncture...yeah, they do look super cool though!

Snell C/V = very well respected speaker with a cult following, they are outside of my price range going for about 1,800 a pair, perhaps craigslist will send me a gift!

Usher speakers = damn they are pricey!

Time Windows = I will be finding a pair of these to buy, not sure if they will be a part of my main system but I at least want to hear them, since they are cheap why not right?

Wharfedales = my god these bastards are ugly... I hope they sound way better than they look!

PSB Stratus Gold = my brother owns a pair, they are nice speakers but not quite the sound I am looking for, little too grating in the treble for my ear

Yamaha NS-1000 = Going to find a pair to listen to first, people are fairly mixed on these speakers, what I would really like to find is the GF-1

Acoustat M&K S1b = short listed for listening and potential purchase

Dynaco A25/35 = I have heard the A35 before and I was impressed, not sure if it was enough to buy a pair but they were a solid speaker

Advents = I knew of these speakers before, from what I had heard (not with my own ears) that they are very solid performers but a step down from the JBL L100 Centuries

Altec Bolero = these have a literal horn in them which could add some unique tone quality to my listening experience, I will see if I can locate a pair for listening

GR=Research = I am currently in touch with Danny and am strongly considering buying a kit for some of his speakers.

I would also like to put forth these this speaker for consideration: Acarian Systems Alon IV Speakers, anyone have any experience with these speakers?

Thanks again all!

Benjamin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:06 pm »
Not JBL 3/4ways.
Some Klipsch 2 ways are nice.
Klipsch Forte II in 3 ways.

sunnydaze

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:18 pm »

Snell C/V = very well respected speaker with a cult following, they are outside of my price range going for about 1,800 a pair, perhaps craigslist will send me a gift!

Benjamin

Memories..........Snell C/V.........my very first "hi end" speaker, bought in 1996.

I don't know where you are seeing $1800, but it's outrageously high.     :o

Folks can ask whatever they want in used markets, but I'm fairly certain he's the exception not the rule.  This spkr retailed for $2500 twenty years ago, and over the years I've seen ask prices of $1000 and less.  I've seen as low as $600.

A quick search turns up these two examples:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649121659-snell_cv_speakers/

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/threads/snell-cv-floor-standing-speakers-with-surround-sound-also.278688/

If you want them, I'd keep looking and waiting for a seller with a better grasp on reality.

bside123

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:23 pm »
Another noble, vintage speaker to throw into the ring: KEF 104/2 Reference.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:26 pm »
   Snell A1, Mirage M1si, Infinity, Acustat, K-horns and Quad 63.

charles

sunnydaze

« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2016, 03:27 pm »
Another Snell C/V example.......

Here's a guy who saw them for $400.  And that was almost 10 yrs ago!!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/snell-c-v.97160/

$1800?!   Pfffffft.........good luck selling 'em!        :lol:

PS:   amazing speaker at below 1000 bux,  IMO.

milford3

« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:03 pm »
My old model 10.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:45 pm »
Of all the speakers listed above, I think the Acoustats offer the best sound/value. They are extremely reliable and subs are not necessary.

I also agree that newer designs offer better sonics, making the GR Research stuff a great choice. How about something in the middle? Depending on how old you are, the Polk Audio SDA series maybe what you are looking for. Unfortunately for me, I was old enough to purchase those new, so I consider them new design.  :?

mick wolfe

« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2016, 05:19 pm »
How about a pair of DCM Time Window's.

What a great all-arounder. (Time Wndow)  Efficient and played all genres well. My fav of that bygone era was the JSE Model 1 followed by the Large Advent and Magnepan 1 or 2.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:37 pm »
GR=Research = I am currently in touch with Danny and am strongly considering buying a kit for some of his speakers.

I just noticed your stated budget.

Talk to Danny about...

http://gr-research.com/completedspeakers.aspx

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106334.0

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2016, 07:56 pm »
Not JBL 3/4ways.
Some Klipsch 2 ways are nice.
Klipsch Forte II in 3 ways.

Hey man don't bust on my JBL's......lol.

nickd

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:12 pm »
 +1 on the DCM Time Window / Time Frame designs. Always wanted to play with those. Some genius acoustic work going on there. Not sure why no one has ever brought back that design with modern drivers?

A pair of used X Statik's will also blow your mind for the money (I own a pair. They also need a sub for really deep bass), or build the kit from Danny.

BobRex

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2016, 08:23 pm »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the DQ10 yet.  Or for that matter early Thiels.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:15 pm »
Some of my recommendations have already been mentioned. You don't like PSBs Stratus line...

I second Klipsch. You could easily score a vintage pair of Heresy in your price range, and you might be able to bag a pair of Cornwall.

Would also suggest looking at Celestion "f" series. Celestion got out of the home speaker business a few years back, but, there are plenty to be had.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:32 pm »
I second Klipsch. You could easily score a vintage pair of Heresy in your price range, and you might be able to bag a pair of Cornwall.
Don't agree here.  The Heresy's make my list, but it isn't my list of best vintage speakers.  To my ears the bass is boomy and the horn is unpleasant.  Just not a fan of the sound of big, empty boxes. 
But at the beginning of this thread, I stated my opinion of vintage speakers in general. 
In threads like this, one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

Saturn94

« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:32 pm »
I bought a new pair of ADS L1290 in 1986 and greatly enjoyed them for over 26 years before I gave them to a friend who is enjoying them to this day.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. :)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #39 on: 5 Feb 2016, 02:54 am »
Don't agree here.  The Heresy's make my list, but it isn't my list of best vintage speakers.
To my ears the bass is boomy and the horn is unpleasant.  Just not a fan of the sound of big, empty boxes.

I've heard (and seen) a good number of folks make similar observations. I've never heard it personally, but then all the owners of the pairs I've listened to changed the factory roll-off on the crossovers, at a minimum. About half of them changed out the cross-overs completely (including me).