Adjustable Impedance and Customer Service

TJHUB

Adjustable Impedance and Customer Service
« on: 13 Jan 2016, 12:37 am »
I had reason to contact Morten today, and not only did I get my question answered, he also took the time to explain the adjustable impedance feature on my LDR3.V2.  I have to admit to not understanding impedance and it's relationship between components, but I now know enough to be dangerous.  It's nice to better understand why my preferred setting might work for my system.  The adjustable impedance setting is such an awesome feature, and it's implemented so well as to be able to quickly compare between 5 setting presets.  Just another reason to love this little gem of a preamp!

I also want to publicly thank Morten for patiently taking time with me when needed.  We are lucky to have manufacturers like we do here on AC, and I'd easily put Morten at the top with the best of them.  Thank you sir!  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Adjustable Impedance and Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2016, 08:50 pm »
I also want to publicly thank Morten for patiently taking time with me when needed.  We are lucky to have manufacturers like we do here on AC, and I'd easily put Morten at the top with the best of them.  Thank you sir!  :thumb:

justubes

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:32 am »
Impedance setting may well be one very and perhaps underused and not well understood by us users.

I have previously mention once I felt I had the right impendace, an adjustment just by 1 changed the sound by a large degree.

I think now with more understanding of it with different sources and music, I will be using it much more.

Morten,

I have mine set at 43, which has the best sound.Once I go any lower the sound mellows out too much.

The interesting thing also is that go up by 1, makes the sound more brilliant, tight and harder sounding. This also make the sound louder as compared with the lower setting just by -1, this is at 42. But if I go -2 (41)instead, it is still softer than impedanceat  43, but not as soft as at 42.

Is this normal?

The sweetspot of 43, though softer and I need to compensate volume up by around +2, but at this setting, all digital hardness and glare vanishes! This alone is priceless.

Is this normal?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:10 am »
The interesting thing also is that go up by 1, makes the sound more brilliant, tight and harder sounding. This also make the sound louder as compared with the lower setting just by -1, this is at 42. But if I go -2 (41)instead, it is still softer than impedanceat  43, but not as soft as at 42.

Is this normal?

The sweetspot of 43, though softer and I need to compensate volume up by around +2, but at this setting, all digital hardness and glare vanishes! This alone is priceless.

Is this normal?

The question of what is "normal" when it comes to adjustable impedance is an interesting one. To begin with adjustable impedance isn't normal. I know of no other preamp that has this feature. And no doubt many designers would argue that it's not necessary or beneficial. We implemented it because our preamp design is software driven and therefore it's possible to do this. Like the mountain, we climbed it because it's there....and we could. As people play around with this feature some find no benefit while others are able to find an optimal setting that clearly improve the sound. I would not have guessed that minor adjustments would make much difference.