I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Danny Richie

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #80 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:42 am »
Trust me, it sounds VERY good as well.  Have not heard a better 6" driver yet.

Oh, I agree it is a great driver.

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:45 am »
Trust me, it sounds VERY good as well.  Have not heard a better 6" driver yet.

Wait until you hear these in an open baffle: http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2-1.aspx

This was basically a cost no object design that uses the best of everything. The only thing I have heard that is close to these in an open baffle is the little 3" LGK drivers used in the Wedgie application. Those things are really sweet.

Freo-1

« Reply #82 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:51 am »
Wait until you hear these in an open baffle: http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2-1.aspx

This was basically a cost no object design that uses the best of everything. The only thing I have heard that is close to these in an open baffle is the little 3" LGK drivers used in the Wedgie application. Those things are really sweet.

Those look excellent.  Not a lot of frequency deviation.  Hope to get a chance to hear them sometime.

Danny Richie

« Reply #83 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:53 am »
Those look excellent.  Not a lot of frequency deviation.  Hope to get a chance to hear them sometime.

They are really smooth. I am working on the new X-Otica that uses them right now. So far it all looks great.

Fredly

« Reply #84 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:43 pm »
A quick post about my experience installing the Electra Tube Connectors on my Arx A5 speakers.

I did this over the Holidays and I have to say, I'm impressed.

Relatively easy to install and yes, it did make an audible difference.

Great product Danny!

Fred in Canada

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/forum/showthread.php?48320-Wanna-make-your-Arx-sound-a-bit-better-(a-tweak)&p=754875#post754875

maty

KEF Q100 crossover, improved
« Reply #85 on: 16 Jan 2016, 10:08 am »
I want to update the crossover of my KEF Q100. I will change capacitors (Jantzen Superior Z-Cap MKP 800 VDC 3.9 uF) and resistors (Mundorf Supreme 20W 0.68 Ohm). I have that matter, I thought about changing the wiring and after reading a lot I still have not it clear.

Please, what cable advice?

-> http://medleysmusings.com/kef-q100-drive-unit-testing/

-> http://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/kef-q100/laborbericht-kef-q-100-seite-5.html

maty

AV Marantz SR4500 with KEF Q100
« Reply #87 on: 16 Jan 2016, 10:56 am »
AV Marantz SR4500 (very well tweaked) with KEF Q100.

You can see too: ifi iCAN (headphones amp) and my ATL Hi-Fi DC & Ripple Blocker x4 ME (aka Maty Edition).

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:13 pm »
Good internal wire will make a difference, and ditching the binding posts for tube connectors is even more of a difference.

I am not a fan of the Kimber wire or the PVC jacketing. But I really like the braided geometry. The geometry of the wire can have a very notable impact.

Folsom

« Reply #89 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:33 pm »
Can bananas fit in tube connector? My struggle with tube connectors is compatibility. That's my reason for not using them so far.

maty

Kimber Kable 8 PR
« Reply #90 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:42 pm »
from spanish forum, I wrote:

4 Kimber kable 8 pr KK066 6,41 € 25,64 €

Subtotal : 25,64 €
Gastos de envío : 9,90 €

Total Importe: 35,54 €
I.V.A 21% incluido en el TOTAL : 4,45 €

I could not resist that incredible price (4 m)  :P

Brand or model of cable, please.

Teflon (PTFE) better than PVC?

PD: the wires of AV Marantz SR4500 I covered with Teflon plumbing and then I put a PVC cover of a power cable 2.5mm2 I bought to build my short cables with RFI/EMI Schaffner filters and IEC C13 connectors.

maty

Re: Kimber Kable 8 PR
« Reply #91 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:45 pm »
Repeat, sorry.

maty

« Reply #92 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:06 pm »
My choices were:

Jantzen Audio 2.5mm2-13AWG silver plated PTFE PTFE: teflon cover and silver plated, cheap in EU

Auric Hookup 18 AWG wire polyethylene cover

DH-Labs 14AWG OFH-14 PTFE: teflon cover and silver plated, expensive in EU

Danny Richie

« Reply #93 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:25 pm »
Can bananas fit in tube connector? My struggle with tube connectors is compatibility. That's my reason for not using them so far.

Standard banana plugs fit perfectly into the tube connectors. However, it will not sound as good.

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:29 pm »
Maty,

I am not a fan of the Silver coated Copper wire. It causes a phase shift and some discontinuity.

Our internal wire is a solid core four 9's pure Copper in polyethylene. I have been really happy with it. My speaker cables are a braided geometry using the same wire and built by Electra Cable. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:36 pm »

Yes, banana plugs will fit in tube connectors, locking banana's would be better. You sacrifice some of the performance benefits though. The opposite is not always true. I have found the male tube connectors are often too large to fit into a banana jack.

I set my speaker cables up with male tube connector studs on the speaker end to mate with the female tube connector on the speaker and locking banana plugs on the amplifier end. These speaker cables will only work with speakers that have tube connectors but then, that is what I am using them with.

The male studs are available separately so it is not difficult or expensive to retrofit existing speaker cables to work with tube connectors.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #96 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:46 pm »
Yeah, I do sell the male tube connector ends for only $3.00 each. So you can put them on all of your favorite cables.

maty

« Reply #97 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:00 pm »
Janzen and DH are silver plated  :cry:

Searching here: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/hookup-wire.html

Neotech LECT-20

Neotech`s LECT type wire is 99.999% high purity UP-OCC rectangular copper wire, sheathed in red, heat resistant teflon. Can be used for speaker wire, mains cable and general hook up wire, the best copper wire currently available.

LECT-20: AWG 20, dimensions: inner - 0.27mm x 1.85mm, outer - 0.64mm x 2.19mm.  300V, 9A rated.
PRICE (1 metre): £5.81+vat+p&p

Solid? UP-OCC (rectangular!), no silver plated and teflon cover.

Neotech SOCT

Neotech`s SOCT type wire is 99.999% high purity UP-OCC copper solid core wire, sheathed in red, heat resistant teflon. Can be used for speaker wire, mains cable and general hook up wire, the best solid core copper wire currently available.

SOCT-18: AWG 18, 1 strand of 1mm wire, diameters, inner: 1mm, outer: 1.75mm,  600V, 12.5A rated.
PRICE (1 metre): £6.32+vat+p&p

SOCT-16: AWG 16, 1 strand of 1.3mm wire, diameters, inner: 1.3mm, outer: 2.45mm,  600V, 16A rated.
PRICE (1 metre): £8.71+vat+p&p

SOCT-14: AWG 14, 1 strand of 1.6mm wire, diameters, inner: 1.6mm, outer: 2.85mm,  600V, 22A rated.
PRICE (1 metre): £12.58+vat+p&p

SOCT-16 is a good choice, I think

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:27 pm »
That Neotech OCC wire is really nice wire.

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #99 on: 9 Feb 2017, 08:46 pm »
Danny,

Are you able to create an upgraded crossover for the old Reference 1 center channel like what Sean at Skiing Ninja used to have?  I have Ninja'd Reference 1 bookshelf mains with his best crossover (I forget the term) with Sonicap Platinum bypass caps and No Rez.  I'd love to get something that matches for a cheap center channel I just picked up. 

Thanks!
Robert