I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

kevb

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #40 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:31 pm »
Hmmm.....I have a pair of the Usher CP-6311's in the Ferrari Red finish that look dynamite in my room.  It would be great to tweaks the sonics on them for a bit more resolution and a little tighter bass.  Danny, have you ever taken a look at those?

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:26 pm »
Hmmm.....I have a pair of the Usher CP-6311's in the Ferrari Red finish that look dynamite in my room.  It would be great to tweaks the sonics on them for a bit more resolution and a little tighter bass.  Danny, have you ever taken a look at those?

Yes, there is a lot of up side potential in all of the Usher speakers. They really respond to upgrades of caps and resistors. Wire, tube connectors, and No Rez is a nice improvement too.

kevb

« Reply #42 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:46 pm »
Yes, there is a lot of up side potential in all of the Usher speakers. They really respond to upgrades of caps and resistors. Wire, tube connectors, and No Rez is a nice improvement too.

Hmmmm.....was that the sound of my wallet opening up?  Yes, I do believe so....

I absolutely love the looks - and I do enjoy the sound as it is....but the bass is a little rounded, and the resolution, while very good, seems like it could be another notch or 2 better.  Or at least that's what my eyes want my ears to believe.   :green:

When I get a chance, I will get inside and take a picture of the crossover.  Thanks!

surfin

« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2015, 08:04 pm »
Danny,

I was wondering what performance upside there is for a set of AV123 Onix 760 Rockets ??

If you could respond here or send me a PM, that would be cool !!

Thanks !!

jkelly

« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2015, 09:30 pm »
I wonder what the possibilities are with the ELAC's that are ready to ship shortly!

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 11 Oct 2015, 01:43 am »
I wonder what the possibilities are with the ELAC's that are ready to ship shortly!

I have had several people ask me that. Several in fact asked me while I was at the show.

My thoughts on them are that Andrew Jones did a nice job with them. It reminds me of what I did with the X-series speakers. I laid my hand on one of them while they were playing. The cabinets felt lightly made and were buzzing a bit with each bass note. It also wasn't really spiked to the floor very well and easily moved around a bit as I moved my hand across the top of it. And yet, they still sounded really good. They were very balanced. He likely did a nice job with the crossover design. But they were built to a price point. So there is likely a lot of upside potential with parts quality upgrades and lining them with No Rez.

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:14 pm »
New Electra Cable tube connector review from New Record Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnBW3wuBSU&feature=youtu.be

"Repeatable and easy to detect differences", even on one of our budget level kits and with an inexpensive system.  :thumb:

THROWBACK

« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:35 pm »
A little off topic, maybe, but maybe not too far.
When I built my vertical stack of three 12" servos per side to supplement my LS-9's (fan-TAS-tic speakers, BTW), I put them into separate cabinets and bolted the cabinets together. I did it that way mainly to save my back. Them suckers is heavy! All the woofers are facing out at the moment, but it would be fairly easy to rotate the middle one (say) to the rear and do a little rewiring to keep the proper phase alignment. The question is: would it be worth it? Theoretically, this arrangement should reduce 2nd harmonic distortion. But I would love to hear from someone who has tried it both ways. I saw Danny (Hi, Danny) at RMAF but forgot to ask him this question. OTOH it would be good to get input from some of you as well.
Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:20 am »
A little off topic, maybe, but maybe not too far.
When I built my vertical stack of three 12" servos per side to supplement my LS-9's (fan-TAS-tic speakers, BTW), I put them into separate cabinets and bolted the cabinets together. I did it that way mainly to save my back. Them suckers is heavy! All the woofers are facing out at the moment, but it would be fairly easy to rotate the middle one (say) to the rear and do a little rewiring to keep the proper phase alignment. The question is: would it be worth it? Theoretically, this arrangement should reduce 2nd harmonic distortion. But I would love to hear from someone who has tried it both ways. I saw Danny (Hi, Danny) at RMAF but forgot to ask him this question. OTOH it would be good to get input from some of you as well.
Thanks.

Another reason to consider flipping it around is that it makes it more stable as it balances out the weight. It might be worth you giving it a try to see (or hear) what the differences are.

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 23 Nov 2015, 03:38 pm »
I had to sticky this one. There is just too much good information here to let it get lost in a sea of threads. 

Anyone that owns a pair of speakers and is interested in making them sound better should really consider the level 1 mod. So far everyone has been REALLY happy with the results.

RoadTripper

« Reply #50 on: 23 Nov 2015, 04:38 pm »
I've got plain-jane VMPS RM40s. I know you've applied your insights to making improvements on those. Short of shipping them anywhere (ain't gonna happen) what do you recommend? I think the bass is kinda lame.

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 23 Nov 2015, 04:59 pm »
I've got plain-jane VMPS RM40s. I know you've applied your insights to making improvements on those. Short of shipping them anywhere (ain't gonna happen) what do you recommend? I think the bass is kinda lame.

Yeah, I can help you out a lot with these, but it would be best to discuss your options with you in a PM or over a phone call. Actually a phone call would be best. If I started posting information about these here then some people would get bent out of shape.

Freo-1

« Reply #52 on: 24 Nov 2015, 01:42 am »
Danny,

Finally took your advice, and had our mutual friend build a set of outboard crossovers for the ATC SCM-19's.  The parts fill up a 8 inch by 12 inch enclosure.  New internal wiring, along with wiring from the crossovers to the speakers. 

Will post an update and pics of the crossovers in a few days.   After looking at the stock crossover vs. the revised unit, expect the sound to be improved by a fair amount.  The quality of the drivers is first rate.  Was surprised that the crossover quality didn't match that of the drivers.

Early B.

« Reply #53 on: 24 Nov 2015, 02:32 am »
Will post an update and pics of the crossovers in a few days.   After looking at the stock crossover vs. the revised unit, expect the sound to be improved by a fair amount.  The quality of the drivers is first rate.  Was surprised that the crossover quality didn't match that of the drivers.

Looking forward to the pics and your assessment of the expected improvement in sound.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #54 on: 24 Nov 2015, 02:53 am »
Any perspective on whether or not this is worthwhile if the driver has FastOn connectors and spring loaded connections? Sounds interesting but my Zu Unions have a bunch of these types of links inside, I guess they are "lower-mass" than binding posts though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 24 Nov 2015, 03:22 am »
Any perspective on whether or not this is worthwhile if the driver has FastOn connectors and spring loaded connections? Sounds interesting but my Zu Unions have a bunch of these types of links inside, I guess they are "lower-mass" than binding posts though.

I'd have to say that you have a lot of upside potential with that speaker. I say that mainly because there were a LOT of issues with them. I have a complete set of measurements on them and a crossover design that that transformed that design.

Folsom

« Reply #56 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:34 pm »
So do I send my X-LS's to you Danny? :lol:

Actually I've been thinking if there were any way to blend the tweeter better, it would be nice. It walks away from the woofer a little with speed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:45 pm »
So do I send my X-LS's to you Danny? :lol:

Actually I've been thinking if there were any way to blend the tweeter better, it would be nice. It walks away from the woofer a little with speed.

You can, or I can provide you with whatever you need to upgrade them.

Folsom

« Reply #58 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:07 pm »
They have the upgraded parts from you, but I guess I was wondering if there is a change that might match the tweeter just a little bit better. (I suspect most people wouldn't notice, their amp wouldn't show them the tweeter being faster)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #59 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:18 pm »
They have the upgraded parts from you, but I guess I was wondering if there is a change that might match the tweeter just a little bit better. (I suspect most people wouldn't notice, their amp wouldn't show them the tweeter being faster)

I think with the Sonicap upgrades you're hearing the best those tweeters can do.  If it's still not satisfying then it may be time to explore other speakers.  Danny's N-Series offers more resolution and speed while still being extremely easy to listen to with no ear fatigue.