I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Danny Richie

I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« on: 15 Sep 2015, 07:23 pm »
Introducing the level 1 upgrade package.

This improves any speaker, and is easy for the owner to perform the upgrade themselves.

1) Replace the binding posts with tube connectors. You can even leave your old binding posts and just parallel them to a set of tube connectors. The tube connectors mount easily through any cabinet wall regardless of the thickness. You simply drill a 7/16" diameter hole for each connector. The improvement over typical binding post cups is pretty significant with a level of clarity across the board. http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx  Even if you are using some of the highest quality binding posts on the market there is still improvement to be had by going to tube connectors.

2) Replace all of the wiring with our high quality internal wire. Our custom internal wire is a four 9's high purity solid core Copper wire with polyethylene jacketing. It out performs all but the most exotic internal wire. If you factor in performance verses cost compared to any other internal wire makes this wire a bargain at only 75 cents a foot.

3) Line your cabinet walls with No Rez. http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx  No Rez damps out unwanted cabinet resonances and improves clarity in the bass and mid-range areas. Even with well braced cabinets there can be an improvement with the added use of No Rez. Lightly braced or unbraced cabinets will benefit significantly.

Order this upgrade package by phone and we'll discount the tube connectors from $59 a set to $50 a set and discount sheets of No Rez down to $36 each. And just let us know how many feet of wire you need with it.

Mention this post and sale price when ordering to get this deal.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2015, 03:35 pm by Danny Richie »

Danny Richie

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2015, 07:24 pm »
Our level 2 upgrade package includes the level 1 upgrade plus we'll upgrade any or all of your internal crossover parts.

We can send you value for value the parts you need or build out new networks for you. Just send us information and pictures of your existing crossovers and we'll recommend the upgrade path for you.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2015, 07:25 pm »
Our level 3 upgrade involves you sending us your speakers.

We can measure and test your speakers and give you a complete set of measurements and recommendations. We offer this measure and testing service for free. You just cover any shipping and handling cost.

We can provide you with what you need to make the upgrades yourself or handle everything in house from beginning to end. We can handle anything from your custom DIY project to the most exotic and prestigious speakers on the market.

Here is a little feedback on the Usher BE-20 upgrade: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135099.0

No project is too big.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2015, 03:24 am by Danny Richie »

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2015, 08:38 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I sent Danny a pair of speakers I had built and had him measure them and design the baffle step loss compensation filter.  The results were well worth it!  I added the filter he designed and I am still enjoying the improved sound today.  Here is a link to that thread (with his measurements) if you are interested:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123534.msg1301431#msg1301431

Highly recommended!

Jeff

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2015, 08:44 pm »
Thanks Jeff.

That one was a pretty easy one, and fun to work on.  :thumb:

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2015, 08:57 pm »
Introducing the level 1 upgrade package.

Do these take standard banana connectors?

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2015, 09:35 pm »
Do these take standard banana connectors?

Yes, I use Electra Tubes with expandable WBT banana connectors. Good fit, good sound.

Skiman

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2015, 09:59 pm »
Yes, I use Electra Tubes with expandable WBT banana connectors. Good fit, good sound.

Doing so defeats the main benefit of Electa Tube connector system, in my opinion. I say this with confidence because I was able to compare both. I recently received a new LSC speaker made by Ruben of Outofthewoods. He built it with  'female' Electra Tube connectors per Danny's specification. Initially, I couldn't insert my existing 10 AWG speaker wire into the male tube, so I used my banana male connector and inserted it into the Electro Tube in the speaker. I thought it sounded fine at the time. But being curious, I tried again and was finally able to attach the tube male connector to the speaker wires. Keeping the volume level unchanged, I listened to my Diana Krall SACD in 5.1 surround, so her vocals came from the LSC and immediately noticed an improvement in clarity and detail. I was not expecting this, especially since I had been a bit skeptical before this 'test'.

Electra tube connectors are the way to go.     

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm »
Yes, standard banana plugs are the same size.

But you do loose quality passing the signal through the tip of the banana plug.

The male stud for the tube connectors is completely hollow. So your speaker wire slides all the way through to the end of it. This is three 16 gauge wires spiral wound. I think it equals almost 11 gauge.

Then just crimp the end, solder it and heat shrink it to seal it.

If you use the banana plug it puts your speaker cable a long way from the internal wire. And it puts a lot of material in the signal path that is not an ideal carrier for the signal.

There is clearly a difference in clarity if you use the male studs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm »
Great ideas.

I implemented levels 1 and 2 on my single driver speaker by eliminating the binding post, running speaker cable directly to the drivers, and replaced the baffle step circuit with EQ. 

Danny, not sure the level 3 offer makes sense for boutique speakers, designed by quality/personalized people, but I'm sure they would be the most interesting for you to work on.  For lesser speakers, would you make an assessment to determine if all the effort/expense would be worth it?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm »
Danny, not sure the level 3 offer makes sense for boutique speakers, designed by quality/personalized people, but I'm sure they would be the most interesting for you to work on.  For lesser speakers, would you make an assessment to determine if all the effort/expense would be worth it?

I have upgraded a lot of expensive boutique speakers. The BE-20's pictured above is a good example. You'd be surprised just how much performance is often left on the table. See this feedback on them: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135099.0

Anytime I do a full set a measurements and evaluation of a pair of speakers (free) there is a recommendation on what the paths are for improvements. Sometimes a few small things are all that's needed and sometimes a complete re-due is required.

There have been times I've told the customer that I can completely re-design and rebuild a pair of speakers but that in the end there are better options and it might not be worth it. Sometimes though there is a nostalgic attachment to old speakers and people want them upgraded to modern parts and performance levels.   
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2015, 03:28 am by Danny Richie »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:33 am »
How much No-Rez did that big one take, Danny?

Come on, can't put a photo like that up with no explanation...it's just not right! That is you in the photo, isn't it?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:44 am »
How much No-Rez did that big one take, Danny?

Come on, can't put a photo like that up with no explanation...it's just not right! That is you in the photo, isn't it?

There was a pair of these big boys on either side of the entrance way at a car audio place in WA state.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:49 am »
One of these days, I'm going to carry my old Design Acoustics D-12 dodecahedron speakers up to Iowa Park.  Years ago Danny heard them in my living room, but I'd bet he has never worked on anything like them. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:55 am »
One of these days, I'm going to carry my old Design Acoustics D-12 dodecahedron speakers up to Iowa Park.  Years ago Danny heard them in my living room, but I'd bet he has never worked on anything like them. 

That's true. I have never worked on any of those.

KLH007

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:56 am »
Ric schultz, Do you have any experience with Danny's hook up wire? I see you use Audio Magic wire in some of your mods on PC Boards, Ever use it for speakers?

Ultralight

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2015, 04:17 am »
How about for something more modest like the Omega Super 3i?   I've been quite taken by these little low cost but NOT cheap speakers.  Very impressive for their speed, resolution, coherence, and timbre even at low volume.  (For me, bang for the buck champ if you already have a subwoofer.)  And can your changes be done without additional drilling so that the cabinet stays stock?

Always curious, always learning....:)
UL

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2015, 02:12 pm »
How about for something more modest like the Omega Super 3i?   I've been quite taken by these little low cost but NOT cheap speakers.  Very impressive for their speed, resolution, coherence, and timbre even at low volume.  (For me, bang for the buck champ if you already have a subwoofer.)  And can your changes be done without additional drilling so that the cabinet stays stock?

Always curious, always learning....:)
UL

That's a great speaker for the level 1 mod. I'll guarantee improvements across the board.

As for the binding posts, all you have to do is remove the old ones and chaise the hole for them with just a slightly larger drill bit to increase the size just slightly for the tube connectors.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:20 pm »
Is the male tube connector available without purchasing the female plug?
 Is the male connector easily reusable in case you change cables?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2015, 03:56 pm »
Is the male tube connector available without purchasing the female plug?
 Is the male connector easily reusable in case you change cables?

The male studs are available separately and are only $3.00 each. So you can add them to all your speaker cables.