Is summer difficult to sell equipment or another reason?

apoid1

Wow not one reply on all the good stuff I have for sale-
Is it because I am relatively new,it's not popular items or price too high?

Sony TA A1 ES integrated amp
Rega P5 Turntable
Rega Isis CD Player
Sony SS NA2ES Speakers
Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amp
AQ Earth Interconnects
AQ Comet Speaker Cables

harley52

Re: Is summer difficult to sell equipment or another reason?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2015, 11:56 pm »
 This time of yr. is certainly not in your favor. Try listing the price you would like to get for each or as a whole. Your location also. Good luck.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2015, 12:07 am »
Perhaps there's just not that much "serious buyer" traffic on this website. Additionally, unless someone just happens to be looking for the particular item you have for sale, it takes a super-low price to motivate people to buy something. There's a LOT of equipment for sale on Audiogon, Audio Asylum, US Audio Mart, & Ebay, and not that many buyers at any given moment. Lots of lookey-loos, dreamers, and tire-kickers. Excellent deals on grade A+ equipment sit for months on these websites if the item for sale isn't one of the few brands with highest name recognition or the latest highly reviewed audio flavor of moment. Whether we're talking about real estate, cars, or audio equipment - most of us think our stuff is worth more than it really is.  :bawl:

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2015, 12:27 am »
I always list on Audiogon, US Audiomart, Asylum Trader , and sometimes here not often.
Audiomart and Audiogon worked best. Audiogon gets a lot of traffic.
No problem selling an SACD player a month ago, in a couple hours in fact.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2015, 01:17 am »
It's two fold. AC isn't the best place to list items if you're expecting a quick sale, generally speaking. Yes, summer is typically a bit of a slow time. Unless you're selling something super desireable and/or cheap, be prepared to wait.

jpm

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2015, 02:30 am »
Ebay and Amazon can also work well for less exotic items from brands with high name recognition. From your list, I'd say the Rega turntable would do best there down to the Sony equipment as the least likely to move, because Sony covers a broader field and is not known exclusively for high end equipment.

My experience has been that on Amazon, selling items that are still in current production can yield the highest transaction prices because folks are comparing your item to the cost of a new one. In the past few years I'd done much better via Amazon than Ebay, but recently that was reversed and I sold everything on Ebay ... guess it depends which way the wind is blowing.

It bears mentioning that there are nasty, dirty, low down, unscrupulous people out there though. Document the condition and serial number (etc.) of your item scrupulously to avoid being ripped off and good luck.

kazsud

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2015, 08:44 pm »
Vacations

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2015, 09:32 pm »
Not to mention, parents spending bucks for kids going back to school or even off to college.  A man's got to know his limitations

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2015, 11:05 pm »
Too hot to listen for some with tubes or huge class A/AB bleeders. AC? Sure, but then you can't hear the music necessarily depending on the space.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2015, 12:33 am »
People take vacations and spend more time outdoors.  That's probably why manufactures gear up new product announcement at get togethers such as CEDIA (using Sept - Oct) or CES (usually January).  People who have kids have them home all the time vs. when they are in school

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2015, 02:01 pm »
Having been in this hobby for a number of decades already, the traditional slow times seem to be Jan/Feb and July/August.  The fall has always been a good time to buy and sell in my experience.  Just my used buying/selling experiences. 
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2015, 03:23 pm by mcgsxr »

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2015, 02:51 pm »
As a former dealer, Jan-April was always my biggest months. Early fall was the second biggest. Summer and close to Christmas always slowed sales to a crawl.