Any love for Emotiva Stealth DC-1?

srb

Re: Any love for Emotiva Stealth DC-1?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr 2015, 02:40 pm »
George I read somewhere that the DC-1 does not upsample.  Do you know if that's true?

From the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 User Manual, it sounds to me like the ASRC doesn't actually upsample, and the ASRC can also be completely disabled from the setup menu.

"SETUP: SRC
Enables and disables the ASRC (asynchronous sample rate converter) in the Stealth DC-1. The advanced ASRC implementation in the DC-1 re-clocks the incoming data to a clean clock without changing the sample rate, so you get to hear your original music - bit perfect - but minus the jitter.

You might wish to disable the ASRC in order to hear what the original source signal sounds like - including the jitter that is present.

Options are: Asynchronous (ASRC Enabled), Synchronous (ASRC Disabled)"

Steve

Philistine

« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:16 pm »
Here's another review by Pez/Tyson at the 2012 RMAF:http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110562.msg1141666#msg1141666

I bought the same Emotiva DAC and speakers in the review to replace a crappy sound bar in my family room, I'm using the DC-1 as a DAC and preamp for my TV and Squeezebox Touch.  I've not done any comparisons with other DAC's but I couldn't be happier with the VFM this represents.  If they put the DAC in a high end enclosure and put a 0 at the end of the price it would probably get lots of great reviews....

soundbitten1

« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2015, 05:37 pm »
I have lots of love for my DC-1. Presently I'm using it as a headphone amp and a preamp that connects to 4 sources (cd player, laptop files, TV and tuner). It sounds great and is very versatile.

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2015, 01:46 am »
I have lots of love for my DC-1. Presently I'm using it as a headphone amp and a preamp that connects to 4 sources (cd player, laptop files, TV and tuner). It sounds great and is very versatile.

soundbitten1, What cans are you using with your DC-1?

yioryos

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:33 am »
yeldarb and George,

George I read somewhere that the DC-1 does not upsample.  Do you know if that's true?

JLM

Steve (srb) beat me to it. Well the owners manual says it all. I use ASRC enabled , I prefer this mode while listening. I also like to encourage you to try the JRiver player,it is excellent player. I got MC19 version (50 bucks and you are in) but now they are up to version MC20 now. Last year I tried most players (Audirvana Plus,Fidelia,Vox,Clementine,Ecoute,Decibel,Banshee,Cog,VLC,XBMCand few others) but I ended up with JRiver because it sounds really good AND it has an amazing time adjustable cross fade function to switch tracks plus also gapless function that actually WORKS.To me the cross fade is a necessity because I play my party playlists that way.
Give JRiver  a try,you will like it. Fidelia was also very good sounding player but a very basic program.
Thanks
George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm »
Thanks again for the all the help/feedback.  Just got back from Axpona where Emotiva had a large exhibit/demonstration room that included playing their active monitors via the DC-1 plus a static DC-1.  Look/feel/sound was faultless (what else can you discern under show conditions?).  Looks like I'll be ordering one and USB cable tomorrow.

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:01 am »
Dying to try Stealth 8's but I really don't need another pair of speakers right now. I wish Emotiva would get back into makong subwoofers, I would totally buy a 4 pack of sealed 12's and call it a day on this system for the time being.

soundbitten1

« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2015, 12:26 pm »
soundbitten1, What cans are you using with your DC-1?

Shure SRH 840.

rodge827

« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2015, 04:27 pm »

JLM

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2015, 11:42 am »
Dying to try Stealth 8's but I really don't need another pair of speakers right now. I wish Emotiva would get back into makong subwoofers, I would totally buy a 4 pack of sealed 12's and call it a day on this system for the time being.

Yeah, almost everything A/V but subs, strange.

I briefly heard Airmotiv 5, Airmotiv 6, and Stealth 8 at Axpona last Saturday (Stealth 6 is no longer) in a very large room (maybe 35 ft x 40 ft x 14 ft).  All had very similar sound, but not smooth (rough edges).  Were they being overdriven?  What more can you tell under show conditions?  Crazy - those Stealth 8 tweeter are powered by a 200 watt amp!!

Emotiva had a 10% show discount that I was unaware of while at the show, but was able to take advantage of the following Monday on my purchase of a DC-1.  UPS is supposed to deliver it today!  Now I need to shop for cables and software player.  Will post a review.  Thanks to everyone for the help.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:47 am »
Nice, looking forward to that. I already know the DC1 outperforms what I have, and with my gear I would hear it, but it is a testament to the XDA2, and Emotiva, that as a full blooded audiophile,  I am not frothing at the mouth for a replacement right now. The SQ is excellent.

Plus I love the swiss army knife functionality. It's my Dac. It's my Preamp. It's my headphone amp... and then, I severely love the design style of the XDA dacs specifically,  in real life, there is something special about the design. I missed my xda 1 when I sold it and was hapoy when they announced the 2.

Take lots of close ups! And tell us more about your system.

yioryos

« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:59 am »
JLM
Let us know when the DC-1 arrives ,system details and your impressions on the sound.
Thanks
George

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2015, 04:14 am »
JLM
Let us know when the DC-1 arrives ,system details and your impressions on the sound.
Thanks
George

+1 on that

JLM

« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2015, 11:21 am »
At the 15 hour mark, it's the best my system has ever sounded (imaging same, detail still improving).  Waiting for USB lending cables to become available from the Cable Company (hope to post a one person shootout).  Until then I'll be researching software players.

My audio system description has been updated under profiles.  DC-1 replaces Jaton RC2000S pre-amp (a very neutral/well built solid state unit that I hope to sell) and Scott Endler DAC modded Behringer DEQ 2496.  (Scott appears to be out of business, but reportedly it competed with original Benchmark DAC.)

Now at the 19 hour mark, dynamics improving, resolution (detail and nuances within individual sounds), and treble more pronounced (it may play better with my 35 foot optical cable, unchanged from before.)  I'll keep the optical option for casual background use while working at my iMac (it's at the back of my room which is also my office), but plan on using my MacBook Air via USB for serious listening.  The remote is heavy metal, nice shape/size, but the volume buttons move slow (0.25 dB increments or very quickly if you hold them down) and none of the black on black buttons are lighted.  As I often listen in subdued lighting keep missing the right buttons (dimming, volume +, mute, and volume - are all in a row), but I'm old and will keep trying to adapt (or face extinction).   :)

Now at the 67 hour mark, standup bass has improving body, soundstage is developing depth, hearing "new" sounds in familiar recordings, overall treble has more character (different sounds differentiate more).  Still getting used to the muting function (3 settings: 0 dB; -20 dB; -40 dB).  If powering down (standby) from remote and back on it disengages. (Going to standby from the unit itself disengages mute.)  No indication of "non-muted" setting, so when disengaging you can get blasted. 
« Last Edit: 2 May 2015, 01:46 pm by JLM »

JLM

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm »
See my equipment review of the DC-1 in the critics' circle.

earwaxxer

« Reply #36 on: 9 Sep 2017, 10:57 pm »
Yep - love it! Really tight and easy when going balanced to the XBA-1. Toe tapping with large sound stage. Needs 100 hours burn in. A bit bright out of the bx. Solid unit. Pro quality. Not fatiguing at all. Wrings the power out of the XBA. Great bass. Just buy one!