HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

THROWBACK

I'm running the LS9's full range.

KLH007

CC, I'll be getting a chance to hear a 2x6 12" OB setup at Rich Hollis' (HAL) place later in the spring. I'm planning on RMAF this October, I'll see and meet you there.

oneartist

The MS-3 and dspMusik 2x8 combo is $2299.00 + shipping in the US.

Do you have any pics? It's nice to see things along with specs. I've been planning to build a new audio computer recently and I've been noticing how the micro processors and flash drives are quickly developing.

HAL

Here are front and back pictures of the MS-3 chassis.  Size is 9" x 9" x 2.75" not including the WiFi antenna.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Is the dspMusik built into the MS-3 or a standalone? 

HAL

The dspMusik is stand alone. 

It requires a PC to load the DSP program, so why it is bundled with the MS-3 Music Server.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Ah, OK.  Makes more sense now.  What's the back side of the dsp look like?  So the PC has to be running that loads the program...it will not run as a 100% standalone unit? 

HAL

The dspMusik can be used in two modes.

1) With the PC to load code and change it on the fly.

2) Burn the flash memory so that it is stand alone.  No more modifications.  Just then needs a PC USB ASIO driver or ASIO connection over USB for MAC.

The rear of the dspMusik.  Ten TRS connectors for D/A and A/D connections, USB and S/PDIF inputs.

HAL

Now that the 6x12 H-Frame servo sub arrays are working, time for some line array ideas to work with the dspMusik digital crossover.

Servo subs with the BG planars:

FPS planar line array starting build.  Each driver will have it's own balanced input amp module to drive it.

HAL

ACHiPo and orientalexpress have their MS-3 Music Servers running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. 

Hope they will post some observations when they have some time.

ACHiPo

ACHiPo and orientalexpress have their MS-3 Music Servers running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. 

What plays through the MS-3 sounds great (I'm on Win8.1), and it's running much faster since Rich worked his magic.  Unfortunately I'm still having network issues that limit the accessibility of the the content (I can "see" the MS-3 on my network, but haven't had the time to figure out how to get the HAL onto my Homegroup).  One curious thing is that even though my DAC (Gustard X20U) handles native DSD, when I feed it an ISO file from the MS-3 it displays PCM, which suggests I still don't have Foobar2000 output set up right.

HAL

orientalexpress has the same DAC.  He had to download a different USB driver than I found to use it with DSD.

You might talk to him for some ideas.

The Homegroup is probably not setup at this point.  It is in Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Homegroup.  Check your Homegroup password on your other machine and use the same one for the MS-3. 

Also make sure Foobar2000 has the IPv4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx address in the HTTP control setting for remote webpage control.

orientalexpress

i love the sound of MS3,It's play ISO files and DSD on the fly.But ,i couldn't get The Ipad monkeymote to controll the MS3,i try disable firewall,i try to put in ISP manually.tonight my IT friend going to give it try to get this remote to work.but i love the MS3 sound  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

lap

HAL

Lap,
Glad you like the MS-3 sound quality!

Hope your IT friends gets your remote working.

Best,
Rich

ACHiPo

orientalexpress has the same DAC.  He had to download a different USB driver than I found to use it with DSD.

You might talk to him for some ideas.

The Homegroup is probably not setup at this point.  It is in Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Homegroup.  Check your Homegroup password on your other machine and use the same one for the MS-3. 

Also make sure Foobar2000 has the IPv4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx address in the HTTP control setting for remote webpage control.
Rich,
Thanks for the tips.  Progress is slow cuz I hate computer stuff.  I'm groovin' on the MS3 and Gustard combination, just wish the whole network thing was more intuitive.

HAL

ACHiPo,
Glad to hear the MS-3 is sounding good with the Gustard DAC. 

Hope the networking issue is simple.  Keep me posted on what you find.

ACHiPo

ACHiPo,
Glad to hear the MS-3 is sounding good with the Gustard DAC. 

Hope the networking issue is simple.  Keep me posted on what you find.
Rich,
Thanks.  I'll keep you posted.  At this point I'm happy with being able to get albums transferred between the 2 5TB HDDs on the MS3 and my Aurender, but ultimately want to free up the Aurender so I can sell it to fund other stuff.

AC

orientalexpress

i finally have monkey mote to work with MS3,first I have to download the plugin to MS3 and Make sure the MS3 is on the same network wirless,make sure the network port forwarding accepting the Port # of the remote and manual put in the ip# on the remote and Viola the remote look exactly on the MS3 screen :thumb:

HAL

Lap,
Great to hear it is working with your remote. 

Good info for anyone else giving it a try.

HAL

Love it, iDevices running a PC Music server for great sound!   :thumb:

Next up, lots of ChipAmps are built for the line array ideas.