HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

richidoo

Just trying to make sure things are given the correct due from the video.
Thanks

GT Audio Works

Guy's,
During the video, the MS-3 and dspMusik were not being used since he had a demo CD.  That was the moded JVC player.  That setup did sound very good.

After the video, I played the HiRez recordings with the MS-3/dspMusik and that did not make the video.

Everyone that heard both the moded JVC player and the MS-3/dspMusik setup thought it sounded even better!

Just trying to make sure things are given the correct due from the video.
The song playing when the video opens is from The CD Strike a deep cord, its Dr John and Odetta doing Buddy can you spare a dime.
The other instrumental tracks were from the Audiophile CD "Chasing the Dragon" available from elusive disc.
Peter Brueninger from AV showrooms brought it for the video.

Unfortunately Rich's great server and dac did not make the video.
The CD player used in the video is an old tank, a JVC 1050 heavily modded by Terence Robinson of Paradox Pulse.
My personal unit.
Its ancient but sounds great even today, but time marches on and Rich's server/dac brought it up notch for less money and ease of use that cant be beat.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2015, 11:48 am by GT Audio Works »

Phil A

Thanks for the clarification guys - was hard to tell from the video what was playing - much easier in person

KLH007

Thanks for the clarification guys - was hard to tell from the video what was playing - much easier in person

Phil, What clinched my decision to order a pair of GTA 2.5s were the RR HRX cuts Rich played using his MS-3 and the dspMusik DAC, absolutely stunning! The DAC was used only as a DAC (no DSP), and although I couldn't do an A/B with the Paradox modded JVC, I thought music played from the server was excellent. Once I get my GTA 2.5s, I'll have a DAC shootout with NuPrime DAC-10, dspMusik, and AQUA LaVoce. After I recover from the speaker purchase, the MS-3 will be next.

Phil A

Phil, What clinched my decision to order a pair of GTA 2.5s were the RR HRX cuts Rich played using his MS-3 and the dspMusik DAC, absolutely stunning! The DAC was used only as a DAC (no DSP), and although I couldn't do an A/B with the Paradox modded JVC, I thought music played from the server was excellent. Once I get my GTA 2.5s, I'll have a DAC shootout with NuPrime DAC-10, dspMusik, and AQUA LaVoce. After I recover from the speaker purchase, the MS-3 will be next.

Kemp - you'll love the MS-3.  I have the MS-2 (identical sound slightly faster processor - the mother board was discontued by Intel, although I sent Rich a PM about a generic replacement) and the MS-3 (the music servers are in separate systems) and I find it is a great simple and user friendly interface with something like JRiver.  To the main system, following Rich's posts elsewhere, I bought an iFi USB Power Supply between the music server and DAC which was a really nice improvement.  The power supply is not workable in the secondary system (with the  MS-3) as the USB chip in the DAC carries the power.  Sometime over the next few months I'll get around to doing Windows 10.  I find with great source material, it really makes the system shine.  I just got Stxy's 'Paradise Theater' on an SHM SACD from Japan today and will burn and extract the DSD file before the weekend is up.

HAL

Just got off the phone with one of my dspMusik customers that was originally running a heavily modified Behringer DCX2496 with his setup.   He is still very happy with the dspMusik in the system being used for both music playback and recording mixing with ProTools in his setup for the monitoring system. 

He built an FM radio station in Indiana and wired it with 1 mile of balanced cables for the control room, booths and recording rooms.  This is typical of most studios for recording the music and monitor playback for them that we listen to in our systems.   He is doing the same at home with the dspMusik for balanced output, but single ended input from his analog gear.   

We discussed reworking his monitor speakers to run them biamp from the dspMusik with another pair of NCore amps like the ones he is using now.  The speakers are GR-Research N2X with separate TL subs.  We also discussed possible OB H-Frame subs to replace the TL subs he has used for years.   Since I have a pair of N2X, making the measurements needed will be easy to do. 

The dspMusik can be run either balanced or unbalanced with adaptors from the TRS connectors to existing cables.  It has worked very well for the systems running them today.  Have used the dspMusik with Mogami, Monoprice and Hosa balanced TRS to XLR cables with excellent results including my system with the Mogami cables.  Also have used it with TRS to dual RCA adaptors with many RCA cables with great results. 

Have also made custom TRS to mini-XLR cables to use with the Rythmik HX300 amps for the 3x8" OB servo subs.  Many options for connections to systems exist.   

HAL

Repaired one of the Dodd Audio battery powered HiRez DAC's for it's owner. 

Back making music in his system!  :D

KLH007

Repaired one of the Dodd Audio battery powered HiRez DAC's for it's owner. 

Back making music in his system!  :D

Rich, Nice job.

HAL

After a lot of travel, updated the MS-2 Music Server with Windows 10 and listening tests are going well with the dspMusik as the DAC, iFi iCan and HiFiMan HE500 phones.  Have already run Windows 10 on MS-3's with fine results.

After reading the Meridian MQA info that I can find, there are interesting parallels in how the dspMusik works and their processing.

Working with Danville Signal on the next generation AD for the dspMusik.  The prototype in work is a 32bit/768KHz ADC with minimum phase filtering to complement the minimum phase DACs.  There maybe another surprise to go with this, but that has to wait for how things work.

Hope everyone has a Happy Holiday Season!

HAL

The three way open baffle speaker is up and running.

The setup is the GR-Research BG NEO3PDR tweeter, BG NEO10 midrange and 2x12" H-Frame servo subs running with a Rythmik HX300 servo amp.  More tweaking to do, but these sound very good! 

Too bad Christy Digital cannot produce the NEO drivers any longer as these are really great sounding speakers.

I will never go back to passive crossovers again after working with the dspMusik digital crossover and amps directly driving the speakers! 

Will make some measurements after getting all the levels fully adjusted.  Using Room EQ Wizard with the Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic from the MS-3 directly through the dspMusik to the speakers.

Phil A

Too bad Christy Digital cannot produce the NEO drivers any longer as these are really great sounding speakers.

I agree Rich - I traded my MoFi bookshelves locally I had in the guest/bonus room for a pair of N3 floorstanders about a month and a half back.  They sound really good.

HAL

Looks like ACHiPo has a used MS-3 and getting JRiver setup on it.

Working on getting the OB H-Frame 2x12in servo subs integrated with the Rythmik A370PEQ amps from the Super-V's with the NEO3/NEO10 OB speakers.  Got everything rewired and running, so measurements will be happening soon.

ACHiPo

Looks like ACHiPo has a used MS-3 and getting JRiver setup on it.

Yep  :thumb:

The PCM files sound fantastic!  Unfortunately I still haven't figured out how to play the iso and dsd files without buffering issues.  The JRiver forum thinks it's a computer/processor issue.  They have a benchmark called JMARK that tests different aspects of a media computer.  The HAL MC-3 scored ~500, which is on the low side, but my desktop machine scored ~1500, and it has the same buffering issues.  I'm going try out Foobar.

HAL

Foobar2000 will play DSD64 DFF files via the correct plug-ins with DSD DAC's.  You may need to unpack the ISO files to DFF format to use them.

That MS-3 may have the native DSD components loaded, but if not the Foobar2000 components needed are on the Hydrogen Audio Forum.

Phil A

I have no idea what the JRMark tests but I ran my computer, my MS-3 and my MS-2 and got the following results:

PC,   2,134
MS-2,  512
MS-3,  525

The other thread indicated you are using (unless I misunderstood something which is possible ) the USB input of the Oppo BDP-105 DAC.  Per the manual (which I posted in the other thread):
"The BDP-105 supports up to 2ch/192kHz PCM signal through its USB audio input, and up to
2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and AAC signal through its Optical and Coaxial audio inputs."

So the BDP 105 can't handle DSD via its USB DAC input.  JRiver allows one to convert DSD to PCM.  One must go to 'Tools,' 'Options,' 'Audio' and then 'DSP and Output Format' and adjust the sample rate for in excess of 192kHz to 176kHz and it will play the DSD as PCM.

HAL

ACHiPo,
After Phil's post, I checked the Oppo BDP-105 page and here is the link about DSD playback.

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

They discuss that the way to playback DSD is via USB file input via a hard drive or thumb drive.  That also requires a later version of firmware to operate.  The audio output specs for USB input only state they support up to 24bit/192KHz PCM.

Phil A

That's what I was trying to say in the other thread. I play DSD flles (both 2 channel and multichannel ) via a hard drive attached to one of my Oppo 103Ds.

HAL

The open baffle planar/servo sub speakers have a dspMusik digital crossover design running and sounding very good! 

Will get a set of speaker measurements from CLIO and post them. 

HAL

Happy New Year!

Been on travel a lot, so just getting back to the speaker project.

Ordered the Rythmik Audio HX800 amps for the two 6x12 servo subs from GR-Research.  Hope they will be on the way soon.

Just finished two DC coupled balanced input moded ChipAmp's for use in the OB planar part of the speakers.  Will be testing the amp modules soon with other speakers before building the second pair. 

Will get to the measurements after all the mods.

KLH007

Rich, sounds like a great project, I'd love to hear the finished system. I have a pair of GTA 2.5s being made, Bubinga. Happy 2016!
Best,
     Kemp