HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

I think the MS-3 and dspMusik ate woodsyi!  It's been very quiet.  Hopefully that means lots of listening! :D

HAL

Building a MS-3 for LarryB today.  He has an MS-1 and wants to demo the MS-3 with Windows 8.1 OS. 

A dspMusik will be setup to run his Sanders Electrostatic speakers to compare to his DCX2496.  The block diagram is ready and waiting on more dspMusik's to arrive.

HAL

Looks like I am headed to Texas to try out the dspMusik at GR-Research. 

Will be shipping out that demo system to get Danny started with it as a DAC. 

Looks like he has a speaker project to try it out with.   This should be interesting!   :thumb:

The system for Pez and Tyson is packed and will go out when I can.  In the middle of 6-8 inches of rain/sleet/hail/snow here.   :(  Might get dug out by Saturday.

HAL

Another MS-3 loaded with software and doing run-in for 24 hours since yesterday. 

Parts for one more MS-3 in shipment. 

Will be 3-4 weeks for the next batch of dspMusik units to arrive.  They are awaiting some long lead time items to arrive. 

Today is packing day for two systems!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I think the MS-3 and dspMusik ate woodsyi!  It's been very quiet.  Hopefully that means lots of listening! :D

I am quiet because I am listening seriously -- between snow shoveling sessions.  Changing back the filter from brickwall to linear phase is a must for me.  I couldn't stand some voices with the brickwall.  I am still fiddling with the level matching and need to phase in the rear subs before I can completely say I am sold without reservation.  Since I have been listening to MS-3/dspMusik for a few weeks now, I am going to plug back in the analog crossover this weekend and compare.  I have a feeling I am not going to like the bass response on the analog x-over but I want to compare the treble/mid tonality.  I have been hearing a lot more bass resolution with symphonies. 

I will let you know.

P.S.  If it wasn't good enough, I wouldn't even be listening right now.  If I only had digital frontend, I would be all over it already.  I am getting better digital out of dspMusik than my current DAC that costs 10x more.  I have to be convinced that vinyl doesn't suffer. 

HAL

woodsyi,
Understand.  Glad it is holding up for digital under comparison listening sessions. 

Will be interesting to hear about the analog trials.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Well, some of us don't have a vinyl front end, just a digital one.  Sounds like its going to be a great solution for people like me.

HAL

Tyson,
I have both analog and digital sources and happy with the dspMusik for both. 

Will ship the setup to Pez first since he is now ready and will hand off to you next. 

Out tomorrow.

HAL

The system for Pez and Tyson went out today.  Pez should have it by Tuesday if things go well. 

The other system went out to GR-Research.  Should be with Danny by Tuesday as well.

HAL

At Avoosl's for a listening session with the VMPS RM50's.

HAL

Had a fine listening session at Avoosl's last evening with the HAL MS-1 and dspMusik crossover running the VMPS RM50 speakers. 

Ran his Oppo BDP-105 as the source into his preamp into the dspMusik and did a great job with that source.

He is now the first official owner of the dspMusik system.  Soon to be followed by dpd as the second owner of a dspMusik.

Today is working on finishing the desktop speaker system 3x8" servo woofer system OB H-Frames.  Wiring them up to the Rythmik HX300 servo amps once I have wire and more Speakon connectors. 

HAL

Here is the link to the thread where Avoosl discusses his VMPS RM50 observations with the dspMusik installed as the digital crossover:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132219.msg1410136#new

HAL

For Pez and Tyson, please try to do two weeks for the demo each after the system arrives at Pez's place. 

The next stop after that for the system is Michigan.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
R,

Any plan to bring it to the show?

H

HAL

Hugh,
The system in Colorado starting next week will be shipped next to Sandbagger in MI.  He will demo it and hopefully bring it to Axpona in Chicago in April.  It will be with me for the show for anyone that wants to hear it. 

If you want to demo it, that can be arranged.

Rich

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Rich,

I was thinking more toward THE Show Newport in May.

Hugh

HAL

Hugh,

Will keep you posted as time gets closer.

HAL

The demo HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik crossover and HiRez DAC system will be delivered to Pez today.

Sent him startup instructions, so we will see how it goes once he has time to get it installed and running.

HAL

Built up an external USB2/eSATA drive chassis with a 500GB SSD for trials.  The 1TB drives are coming down in price.

No moving parts and no noise in the system and now reliability many times what a hard drive can offer.

Now to load up the music library.

HAL

Pez received the MS-3 and dspMusik yesterday.  We will be talking as soon as he has time for setup.

Will be at woodsyi's on Wednesday evening for room correction trials with the dspMusik trying out SWARM techniques.  From what I read, this will require time delays and shelving filters to account for the sub positions and room gain in any room.  These can be added to the block diagram easily on the sub channels for listening trials. 

Will use REW with the UMM-6 mic with a max length USB2 cable to make before and after measurements.  The dspMusik will act as the signal source for the measurements with the MS-3 running REW.