HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

Glad to hear it!

I really try to make it simple to get to playing music!

HAL

Have 20 of the modified ChipAmps built and tested for the open baffle line array.   

Will be gluing the baffle stringers and mounting the FPS drivers next. 

Have the parameters for the beamforming idea for the dspMusik digital crossover programmed and ready.

First step is 4 drivers per side and see what results I can obtain.

HAL

Have an Audiomatica CLIO 8 system ready to make measurements on the LS-9 crossovers at Forest Dwellers to make the dspMusik digital crossover design from the original.  The PC laptop is running the CLIO 8 software and the system is calibrated. 

The process is simple if the passive crossover is external to the speaker.  That is in process for his pair of LS-9's.

oneartist

Have 20 of the modified ChipAmps built and tested for the open baffle line array.   

Will be gluing the baffle stringers and mounting the FPS drivers next. 

Have the parameters for the beamforming idea for the dspMusik digital crossover programmed and ready.

First step is 4 drivers per side and see what results I can obtain.
I

I will be interested to see how you mount all the ChipAmps and drivers. Have you made any progress on the dirac live type room control software?

HAL

The amps will probably go in a chassis external to the speaker, or possibly use as the base.

The Dirac Live software has expired, so no more experiments.   Will be trying Math Audio and DRC instead.

HAL

Have a prototype of the dspMusik digital crossover for the Magnepan MG3.6 speakers running.  Had an enquiry about it, so did one from the manual's specifications. 

The MG3.6 is a three way planar, but only requires a two way crossover for the way it is actively biamped.

Many years ago had the passive external crossover for biamping my MGIIB's with a pair of Hafler DH220 and later ADCOM GFA-555 amps.  With a little EQ from my Hafler DH160 EQ, sounded pretty good to me.  Can do that so much better now with the dspMusik.

HAL

For folks wondering about the dspMusik HiRez DAC sound quality, if you ever heard the Dodd USB DAC that Gary built at RMAF or other place, this is a very similar design.  I helped Gary with the digital part of the design and he did the analog section.   

Danville Signal had the same DAC ideas and implemented something very close in the dspMusik for all 8 output channels.

HAL

Stopped by klh007's today to get his remote capability for Foobar2000 working.  Also lent him a UMM-6 calibrated MIC so he can use Room EQ Wizard for measurements.  He was up and running when I left.

KLH007

Thanks Rich for getting me setup to control Foobar with my laptop, it sure is nice having easy access to my music. Now I'm searching for a NAS drive with ethernet connectivity to add storage.

HAL

Glad to help!

Just make sure the NAS has Gigabit Ethernet capability.  That is the speed of the MS-3 Ethernet connection and as fast as it will go. 

HAL

The glue for baffle #1 stringers is drying. After about 30 minutes will start baffle #2 stringers glue work.

HAL

Front baffles completed and glue drying overnight.

HAL

Finally figure I better give this open baffle line array a name.

Lets call it the Pulsing Quasar by HAL. 

HAL

Test fitting the FPS planar drivers after the glue dried overnight.  A bit of sanding and then time to drill a lot of holes to mount the drivers.

HAL

Interesting article from the latest Parts Express Sound Solutions magazine.  Don Keele has an article on the CBT array's and shows models of the pressure response of various speaker styles above a ground plane.  Shows some pretty good reasons you want to use beamforming for line arrays.

HAL

Since we need speaker cable to wire up the line array, here is 500' of DIY 14awg stranded speaker cable.

HAL

Side wing attachment beginning.

HAL

The THHN 14awg stranded wire will not lay flat for cables.  Have Belden 1309A on order to replace it.

More FPS drivers will be here tomorrow to install and wire-up once the Belden cable arrives.

*Scotty*

Rich you might like 12ga. instead of 14ga. due to it's superior bass and focus in the sound-stage.
Scotty

HAL

*Scotty*,
The planars only go down to 125Hz, so not much in the way of bass response. 

The servo subs are wired with the THHN 14awg stranded and have plenty of bass response!  :)