HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

Running the trial version of Dirac Live for stereo on the MS-3 with the dspMusik running the crossover and very good results so far.

Will be testing it until the trial version runs out to see how it does.

oneartist

Great news. I'm cheering from California.

KLH007

I'm also curious about Dirac Live/MS-3 combo, is it an improvement in speaker/room interaction? I'm sure Rich will let us know his reactions.

HAL

When running Dirac Live, the large level change makes it hard to compare the original and flattened curves. 

The target response curve that they are shooting for is rolled off across the frequency range for the on axis response that it measures.  It sounds to rolled off to me.  It can be modified by the user, so possibly flattening out the target response curve will improve the response for me.

Problem is can it be done before the 14 day trial time is up.  After that it is $440 for the license.  We shall see.

oneartist

Hi Rich,

I looked a few links that may be helpful.

uhttp://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15454-Dirac-live-vs-Acourate-vs-Audiolense/page6

http://www.alanjordan.org/DRCDesigner/DrcDesignerHelp.html

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17839

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zEKoJAKFbMp

HAL

Interesting links.  Thanks for posting them.

The impulse response inversion technique has been done a few times.  Comparing the old Perpetual Technologies SOCS method of just correcting the speaker and the Dirac Live room and speaker is interesting, the SOCS method corrected to a flat response for the speaker and the Dirac Live corrects to a sloping response for the speaker-room system.  The latter is supposed to be the preferred in-room frequency response after room interactions.  Of the two, I prefer the old SOCS method so far. 

One thing about the Dirac Live method is that it does three measurements, left, right and both channels for the correction process.  The mic can only be pointing in one direction for all measurements.  If it would let you move the mic between measurements, you could try both correction methods and see which is preferred. 

The good news is that Dirac Live uses the Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB calibrated mic I already have.  Did not need to get another one, even though they recommend the UMIK-1 USB calibrated mic.  One thing I found is not to use a USB2 hub with the mic.  Had data stop a few times during the measurement process.

Will be interesting reading Floyd Toole's paper.  Don Keele's CBT paper is interesting as well for line array acoustics.

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/CBT_Tech_Note_Vol1No35_091007.pdf

More experiments to come.

Edit:
See that the DRC Designer is a free one that works with Foobar2000 with the convolver component.  Will take a look at the process.

oneartist

I was reading a little of DRC Designer but I didn't want to present an overload. Retirement is interesting. The things we were interested in while we were working were never fully developed due to time restraints. Retirement is rich in time and provides opportunities to dig a little deeper into things we were always interested in. A time to get it right - to do a copacetic job. I hope your digging turns up some gems.

HAL

Yes, retired June 2013 and never looked back.  Now time for some cool audio projects.

Here is another room/speaker correction package as well:

http://mathaudio.com/

Works with Foobar2000 as well.

oneartist

If you read through the user comments at mathaudio, there is some very expensive gear and the comments are all very good. This may be a winner.

HAL

Have one more MS-3 hardware set here to build before I have to buy more and that takes a few weeks. 

Next customer will get short wait time for a system.   :D

HAL

The demo MS-3 and dspMusik system are on the way for trials with LS-9 speakers.  The customer has MS-1 Music Server's in his setup running Windows 7 so he will get to compare it to Windows 10 running on the MS-3 and dspMusik as a DAC to start. 

All the modified ChipAmp modules for the open baffle line array idea using the FPS drivers are completed. 

Now waiting on a friend to help me with the woodworking to make the baffles.  Then just have to mount them and wire them to the amps. 

HAL

First part of the open baffle line array for the FPS planar drivers is done. 

Now to add horizontal stringers and the side wings. 

Eight modified ChipAmp's ready to try with the MS-3 and dspMusik.

KLH007

Rich, How many planar drivers, and how many inches long will the line source be? Will the wings be curved?

HAL

The line array will have 10 FPS drivers per side when completed.  The line of drivers is 62.5" long with the baffle at 72" long.

The wing will be flat and at a 100 degree angle from the front baffle.

KLH007

I'm really looking forward to hearing these speakers this Spring/Summer.

HAL

Fun part is that the open baffle NEO3/NEO10 speaker sounds really good as well with the dspMusik and MS-3 system.  Will have both in my room for listening.

Hope to have the last part of the wood cutting done Friday, then start the glue-up and wiring.  Measurements after that to do the digital crossover and ready to play. 

HAL

Lots of soldering and wiring to get the ChipAmp modules for the line array's built and working.  Fourteen channels built and most tested.

Cutting the final wood stringers to finish the baffles Friday.

« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2016, 10:03 pm by HAL »

HAL

Oak stringers cut and ready to glue to the baffle to mount the FPS planar drivers.

Next drill the holes to mount the drivers, add the wings and wire up the drivers.

HAL

KLH007 now has his demo MS-3 playing music with his USB DAC. 

Looking forward to his observations.

KLH007

Rich, I am loving the convenience, selection, and sound! The MS-3 will have me listening to more music for sure.