Future of Hoyt-Benford speakers

mnilan

Future of Hoyt-Benford speakers
« on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:08 pm »
Louis:
As the new and happy owner of a pair of Hoyt-Benford Type 1 speakers, I was over on AudioKarma.com making a recommendation for Omega Speakers when I noticed that Hoyt-Benford is no longer on the Omega web page.  Am I now the proud owner of a discontinued line?  I am not upset or angry, merely curious.
Mike

FireGuy

Re: Future of Hoyt-Benford speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:48 pm »
Louis:
As the new and happy owner of a pair of Hoyt-Benford Type 1 speakers, I was over on AudioKarma.com making a recommendation for Omega Speakers when I noticed that Hoyt-Benford is no longer on the Omega web page.  Am I now the proud owner of a discontinued line?  I am not upset or angry, merely curious.
Mike
Congrats on the HB 1's.  I have heard them and must say they are exceptional.   Their presentation and articulation is absolutely remarkable for the price.  The kind of speaker that asks why you would pay 2, 3 or 5 'X the price for anything else.   They are that good IMO.   I don't believe the HB line has been discontinued.  Louis can confirm that however.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2015, 06:40 pm »
I don't know for sure but Canada Rob had in the works a re-doing of the Hoyt web page. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2015, 11:42 pm »
112 days have passed since the last post. Surely somebody must know something - but why ain't they talking?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2015, 12:13 am »
2-14-2015
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132501.0

"The Hoyt-Bedford line

A separate line of affordable speakers that were for direct sale (during a world wide economic slump).  They ended up with dealers anyway and were quite popular, especially in Canada.  They offered high performance and value and were happy with almost any kind of amplifier.

Why Louis discontinued the Hoyt-Bedford line (which had nothing to do with their excellent build and sound quality):

1) A couple of poorly done, unprofessional reviews did considerable damage to the line and in the global village in which we live, that sort of thing can kill a line.  Not to mention almost all reviews are advertiser driven, not market driven, so if a company whose product is being reviewed has no advertising contract with said magazine or review site, their chances of a great review are poor.
2) Selling a direct sell product to dealers made the Hoyt-Bedford line unprofitable to manufacture, and Louis will not consider outsourcing to Asia to bring his margins up.
3) Constant questions as to the difference between Omega and Hoyt-Bedford and the desire to concentrate solely on Omega.
4) Large monitors like the Type 1 are difficult to find worthy stands for.  A stand truly worthy of the Type 1 costs not much less than the speaker itself."