My DIY LDR3x.V2 dual mono balanced volume control

robertopisa

My DIY LDR3x.V2 dual mono balanced volume control
« on: 23 Nov 2014, 10:41 am »
I have two active monitors that I wanted to connect directly to my DAC using my XLR cables. So I chose to have three enclosures, one for the dual 12VDC PSU (which should have a common reference 0VDC) and the other two for the LDR3x.V2s. In this way, I can have the shortest possibile cable from the DAC to each monitor. Silver soldering and internal silver-gold wiring are by Mundorf as the latter is cheaper than Neotech in EU. The Ethernet jack is not really for that, it was the simplest way for me to connect the jumpers between the two LDR3x.V2 boards. It sounds wonderful... I have been an early adopter (since July 2014) and I am grateful to Morten for having given me prompt support during my project. In particular, I use a 5kohm firmware, so that it is seen as 10kohm by the balanced active monitors (the switch is for two alternative grounding schemes to achieve that).

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm by robertopisa »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: My DIY LDR3x.V2 dual mono balanced volume control
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2014, 03:49 pm »
Great setup. The active ATC's deserve nothing less. You have made wise choices interfacing your dac (nice!) to your active monitor. Please show us pics of the innards of your build!

Best,
Anand.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2014, 03:53 pm »
Outstanding work Roberto! Very impressive.

robertopisa

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:21 pm »
Thanks Anand and Morten. I had to plan every single hole and screw. The devil is in the details, so I can barely imagine the complexity faced by Morten and co. when designing and assembling their full pre. I will post a picture next time I open the LDR enclosures.