Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #80 on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:52 pm »
I wish I could get a used XLS, I would take 1500 - 2500, any one, but nothing in my market or close to me so far :(

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #81 on: 15 Nov 2014, 05:51 pm »
I would like to know what speakers are members planning to use or are running with this Crown?

I think that would be nice to know as well as it would give somewhat of a baseline. Ozarktom, DaveC113 and myself have different speaker designs and efficiency yet we all seem to like the crown amp.

I have Salk Songtowers with the Hiquphon dome tweeter that are 4ohm with about 88db sensitivity, which is not a hard load to drive and I think it sounds pretty darn good.

Sure, Source is a Sony HAP-Z1ES, Pre is an Aikido 6SN7 preamp, Omega Super 3 XRS, 10" Adire Audio Sub, SurgeX power, ZenWave Cables throughout.

The Crown is not better than either the SET or the Odyssey, but it is very close... 

This is what intrigues me about the crown. I guess I'm just curious if people do find it close to what they got now can they be happy with either amp? I know its all relative to people's expectations and tastes and what they look for in a particular sound but if something was to happen to their current amp would they be content to go on with the crown xls and not miss anything?

I hope to listen to many more amps along the way so this is just one chapter in my audio hobby life.  :)

a.wayne

« Reply #82 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:33 pm »
Wheres Jack, did the Crown fall on him or is he just floored ..... :lol:

ZAKski288

« Reply #83 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:36 pm »
Crown XLS1500  vs. Ncore. Everything was as equal as possible , used the same power cords, interconnects (RCA's), speaker wires (2)8 ga. braided with jumpers between the two set of binding post, RM40 speakers 90 dB , same Playlist, NO subwoofers . Well I started with the Crown XLS1500, listened about 1 1/2 hrs.  Sound was incredible, good imaging, good bass, plenty of power , with the music paused my speakers had low hum (ear close to speaker). Moving on to the Ncore's. Just so you know I planned to build a pair and these came up for sale on Audio Circles, built by an AC member. I know you want to know the outcome. So with that said, The Ncore sound awsome, They sound similar except the Ncores have a larger range top to bottom,Its not more bass or higher highs, maybe it depth, warmer sound. also with music paused they are dead quite. Its hard to explain, but they do sound different. I'm just someone
that enjoys music and really have learned a lot being part of Audio Circles. Many great people willing to help and explain things, and this thread has been
entertaining for time to time.  My second system will definitely be powered by the Crown. We have a winner  Ncore  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2014, 02:18 am by ZAKski288 »

ZAKski288

« Reply #84 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:40 pm »
20 song playlist used above

OzarkTom

« Reply #85 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:47 pm »
Zak, do you feel the Ncores  are 5-10% better or more?

ZAKski288

« Reply #86 on: 15 Nov 2014, 08:54 pm »
Yes Ozark, In my system which I still need to do a couple things.  Its pretty close 5%-10%  difference. I would be happy with either amp.

OzarkTom

« Reply #87 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:06 pm »
Yes Ozark, In my system which I still need to do a couple things.  Its pretty close 5%-10%  difference. I would be happy with either amp.

That is quite a testimony for the Crown, since it is 4.5 years old in design and 6 times less money.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #88 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:08 pm »

Wow, excellent ZAKski288!

Would you say they both have the same overall tone? Sounds like in your system it's just the stage depth on the Ncore is a little better.

I like that you used a variety of different music in your playlist! Black Eyed Peas to AC/DC  :D

Great job and thanks for taking the time!

a.wayne

« Reply #89 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:10 pm »
The differences you described is way more than 5-10% to me , it may not justify 3 times the cost to some , but if you are serious about hi-fi , no way to live with the lesser amplifier ....

NCore - 1
Crown - 0

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #90 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:20 pm »
NCore - 1
Crown - 0

:lol:  I guess it's all in how you want to look at it. If to ZAK the Ncore in his system to his ears is only 5-10% better then you can say that's a win for the crown.

I'm just interested if this crown amp can compete with the big boys and hang with them. Not necessarily be better.

OzarkTom

« Reply #91 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:32 pm »
:lol:  I guess it's all in how you want to look at it. If to ZAK the Ncore in his system to his ears is only 5-10% better then you can say that's a win for the crown.

I'm just interested if this crown amp can compete with the big boys and hang with them. Not necessarily be better.

Yep, the Crown will hang with the big boys. It will be more interesting when I get the Cryo 1500 amp back.

Oops, that is a four letter word, sorry.:nono:

guest61169

« Reply #92 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:36 pm »
The differences you described is way more than 5-10% to me , it may not justify 3 times the cost to some , but if you are serious about hi-fi , no way to live with the lesser amplifier ....

NCore - 1
Crown - 0

It is silly of you to conclude which is the better amplifier when there has not been a scientific test, let alone publication of all the variables.  For example, RCA inputs were used.  The Crown sounds its best with balanced inputs from a fully balanced preamplifier.   Here is my earlier post on how to get the best from the Crown:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.msg1376662#msg1376662

OzarkTom

« Reply #93 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:37 pm »

3 times the cost? Try 6 times. And the Crown has a lot more features.

I am curious about the hum problem on Zak's Crown. I have had hum issues in the past but the Crown is dead silent in my system.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:42 pm »
I am curious about the hum problem on Zak's Crown. I have had hum issues in the past but the Crown is dead silent in my system.

When I received the two 1500's I got now to run in bridge mono I tried plugging them straight to the wall like some of you do and I got a slight hum.  From the LP I couldnt quite hear it but the closer I got to the speakers it was there.

I now have them plugged into my Überbuss and the hum is gone and they sound great.

ZAKski288

« Reply #95 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm »
There is a slight (Low) hum on the woofer when you put your ear up to them.  Not sure if it effects the overall sound when you crank them up.

The Crown In my work area system I have it plugged into a  DIY Felix and it is pretty quite but not dead silent.

Yes, the Crown might sound better with a balanced preamp and the Ncore should too. I'm still looking to upgrade my preamp any suggestions

Occam

« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm »
There is a slight (Low) hum on the woofer when you put your ear up to them.  Not sure if it effects the overall sound when you crank them up.

The Crown In my work area system I have it plugged into a  DIY Felix and it is pretty quite but not dead silent.

Yes, the Crown might sound better with a balanced preamp and the Ncore should too. I'm still looking to upgrade my preamp any suggestions

Zak,

Given the XLS's internal mains filter has 2 pairs of Y capacitors, a bit of hum attributable to leakage currents is not unexpected.(or that hum could be from something else). If you have the lid off, could you note the value of the small caps flanking those CMCs? 2 pairs of CMCs along with the 2 pairs of Y caps would seem to indicate a substantial amount of conducted common mode noise needing to be attenuated to meet FCC requirements. Would you also post the values of the 2 lager X caps in the filter?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #97 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm »
Paul, you can't see those caps without taking a bunch of stuff apart but the larger caps are these... I'm pretty sure.

ZAKski288

« Reply #98 on: 16 Nov 2014, 12:06 am »
Here what the binding post looks like and the measurements Crown XLS1500

3/16 hole , 5/8" Long threaded part, 3/8" shoulder with two flats

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #99 on: 16 Nov 2014, 12:54 am »

Here what the binding post looks like

Why not just drill holes in the case and unsolder the speaker cable leads, then feed them out of the case and use the binding posts to clamp to the speaker wires.

I bet this alone would make a 5% increase in clarity and realism.

Rocket_Ronny