We are carrying DuraTex Coatings.

Danny Richie

We are carrying DuraTex Coatings.
« on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:11 pm »
After several customers really liked it, and after talking to the company about the product, I decided to carry it.

See info on it here: http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

$24.95 for the pint sized kit.

$34.95 for the quart sized kit.

Here are a pair of the LGK 1.0's built by Ben Daniels that are coated in DuraTex.

We have the 1 pint kits and 1 quart sized kits in stock.

Pricing was updated.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2018, 09:06 pm by Danny Richie »

GT Audio Works

Re: I am going to be carrying Duratex soon.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:41 pm »
This is good stuff, I used to use it on my bass cabs before I went to grill cloth covered.
The roller they provide gives a pretty rough texture, you can use a regular paint roller with a short fine nap to get a smoother texture if you wish. Or any texture in between.
I also sprayed over with a flat since the texture paint is more of a semi gloss.

This pic doesn't show much of the cab but you get the idea.

They also make a cabinet wall damping material, it goes on thick and easy to cover and dries well.
http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coating-Acoust-X-Sound-Damping-Coating.html
Greg

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:41 pm »
Those speakers look really nice with that finish. I like that it can be rolled on. Great job Ben  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm »
Good deal, I have been thinking about using this on the X-Sub I built awhile back. What type of coverage would the quart yield?

Mike

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2014, 05:03 pm »
Great product, I used it on the front baffle of this diy speaker. If you roll on several lighter coats a smoother surface can be achieved.
Has a great low-sheen appearance, the exact look I was after. I was able to do both baffles with a sample kit. :thumb:

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm by Nick77 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm »
Good deal, I have been thinking about using this on the X-Sub I built awhile back. What type of coverage would the quart yield?

Mike

They say that the pint size kit will do a pair of mini-monitors with no problem.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: I am going to be carrying DuraTex soon.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2014, 05:40 pm »
Awesome.  Pricing yet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2014, 06:34 pm »
Awesome.  Pricing yet?

$17.95 for the pint sized kit.

$29.95 for the quart sized kit.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2014, 06:46 pm »
I used their kit that comes with the roller, the little one in the priority mail box, and it covered my Encores. A little more would have perhaps been more "perfect" from some angles in the light, but it looks good. I had to water it down slightly, and go with two slightly lighter coats. More would be appropriate for bookshelves.

The biggest thing about the rough texture is it likes dust. Also wiping doesn't work that well without water, on the dust. A roller that had a little less texture would be nice.

I'll probably be using it again some day.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:09 pm »
I used their kit that comes with the roller, the little one in the priority mail box, and it covered my Encores. A little more would have perhaps been more "perfect" from some angles in the light, but it looks good. I had to water it down slightly, and go with two slightly lighter coats. More would be appropriate for bookshelves.

The biggest thing about the rough texture is it likes dust. Also wiping doesn't work that well without water, on the dust. A roller that had a little less texture would be nice.

I'll probably be using it again some day.

Try using  one of those little Swiffer dusters, think they are called Swiffer 360. 
I was having trouble with dust on the   OB7's  one of those has solved the problem.  Works great on the rest of my audio gear too

-jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:29 pm »
Great product, I used it on the front baffle of this diy speaker. If you roll on several lighter coats a smoother surface can be achieved.
Has a great low-sheen appearance, the exact look I was after. I was able to do both baffles with a sample kit. :thumb:

Nick, your picture makes the texture look a lot more flat, Danny's looks semi gloss?

Good idea painting over it with flat like also mentioned, if that's what you're looking for. I may do everything but the sides of my modified Super Vs in this stuff whenever I get them.

Nick77

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:45 pm »
Yes mine looks fairly flat, it maybe the fashion in which its applied. I used a smooth foam roller and applied two light coats.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2014, 01:55 pm »
Man, this stuff is awesome. I have never seen anything so easy to apply. And it is real easy to get good consistency and a nice texture. It cleans up easy too. I have rinsed the roller off after each use and it is like new after each cleaning. Oh, and it rinses completely clean with nothing but water. No smell either. I can use it indoors without the wife even noticing.  :thumb: :thumb:

In stock now. Just call to order. 940-592-3400

$17.95 for the pint sized kit.

$29.95 for the quart sized kit.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2014, 04:35 pm by Danny Richie »

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:52 pm »
Oh, and it rises completely clean with nothing but water. No smell either. I can use it indoors without the wife even noticing.  :thumb: :thumb:

Are you baking DuraTex bread?

How much surface area do you think each size would roughly cover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:36 pm »
Are you baking DuraTex bread?

How much surface area do you think each size would roughly cover?

Typo'ed not hitting the N

It is hard to say from my experience so far. I am using out of a gallon bucket.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:34 pm »
I coated some crossover boards with this stuff a few days ago. This stuff is great. I am loving it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:03 pm »
Have you tried the Acoust-X interior sound-absorbing coating?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:25 pm »
Have you tried the Acoust-X interior sound-absorbing coating?

I have not tried it yet.

mboxler

Re: I am carrying DuraTex Coating.
« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2014, 02:30 pm »
I'm building a pair of LXmini speakers, and the mid woofer sits on top of 4 inch PVC.

I was going to paint the PVC, but has anyone tried DuraTex on PVC?

I think it would look great  :thumb:

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: I am carrying DuraTex Coating.
« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2014, 06:25 pm »
I'm building a pair of LXmini speakers, and the mid woofer sits on top of 4 inch PVC.

I was going to paint the PVC, but has anyone tried DuraTex on PVC?

I think it would look great  :thumb:

Mike

I have no experience with the Dura Tex but I do know PVC holds spray paint really well. I lightly sanded some 1/2" PVC then wiped it down with paint thinner, sprayed painted it for an outdoor garden project and it looks the same now as it did then.