noisy CDs

rabbits

noisy CDs
« on: 24 Jul 2014, 01:33 am »
Has anyone else had problems with CDs that make a mechanical thumping noise while playing-nothing through the speakers, but a noise that you can hear from the transport mechanism. I've had a couple of problems with CDs from CA by David York and Perfecto de Castro. Is there any danger of damaging my CD player?

richidoo

Re: noisy CDs
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm »
Is it from the spinning disk hitting something? CDs spin at 500RPM when playing first minute, slowing to 200RPM at 74th minute. If the disk is hitting something the speed of the sound should modulate thusly.

rabbits

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:58 am »
Thanks, Richidoo. Both artists, Perfecto de Castro and Andrew York, are sending replacement CDs. Both are very talented musicians and I am hoping for the best. I'll let you know. P.S. My ADS l810s are doing fine. So far I cannot detect phase problems with the Polk center channel, but my ear is not as well trained as it was when I was younger and in the business. The Polk is fine for me, but if I stumble on a single l570 I might that.

steve in jersey

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm »
If it is a "thumping noise" you are noticing, there is a strong probability that a screw(or 2) holding your player's transport to the chassis has become loose.

Reach underneath your CD player in the area where the transport is & see if you feel any screws you can move. Re-tighten any "culprits". Check to see if you can tighten the remaining screws a bit also. It goes without saying use "discretion" when tightening these screws,but make sure they are all tight

rabbits

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2014, 12:52 am »
Andrew York just sent me a new copy of "Yamour." It is PERFECT! and the music is to die for. Get yours soon!

rabbits

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2014, 12:56 am »
Thanks, Steve. I may have a screw loose in other ways, but not in this instance. There are only two discs that make noise. I have hundreds that are fine.

tmazz

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2014, 12:40 am »
Sounds to me like a problem with the physical disk itself, either the disc is slightly warped or the mounting hole is not perfectly centered. Either one would cause the disc to not spin smoothly on its axis and to make contact withe one of the transports walls as it spins. it is really easy to see when either happens on an LP as the discs spin slower and it is easy to see the tonearm move when the LP is not centered and flat. But on a CD you usually cannot put eyes on the disc while it is playing and at the higher rotational speeds it would be much harder to notice even if you could see the dice in play mode. while it doesn't happen all that often, it is not as uncommon as one would think.

rabbits

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:06 am »
Perfecto de Castro sent me a new copy of "Caparison" with a nice personal note. The disc is so quiet that you'd need a stethoscope to know that it is turning. It is "Perfecto." The music and artistry is sublime. This is one of my favorite recordings.